Sign in to follow this  

Real World Weather

Guest mkennon

Pardon me, I am a new guy on the block. Is there any add-on software that automatically loads real-world weather into FS2002 as you fly so you don't have to manually do it?MK

Guest ba747heavy

Sure is, Activesky 1.5, available in the avsim file library. Nice and free :)

Well, first of all, you can use FS2002's built-in real-world weather utility - Click on "World" then click on "Weather" - ensure that the "Download winds aloft with real world weather" box is x'ed and then click on "Real World Weather." FS2002 will access a Jeppesen weather server that has the latest METAR cycles and download and set FS2002 weather to the current real-world weather.Second - if you are willing to spend the money, then FSMeteo is a must-have as it is a vast improvement over FS2002 default real-world weather.

Further to that, the real-world weather option in FS2002 has some major flaws which become apparent as soon as you fly outside the US. There are large areas of the world which are uncovered, and the rest sufferes from permanent unlimited visibility, as FS interprets 'm' as meaning miles rather than metres. There are various payware programs out there that will give you actual real weather - as a beta tester I'm somewhat partial to ActiveSky :) (I can assure you that any bugs you may discover will be fixed, if humanly possible). But it's best to make up your own mind - download the freeware version (which has a lot less features than the full one), and see what you think.Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

ActiveSky is a tremendous program, but you can't use it much of the time because of erratic server problems.FSMeteo has been the most consistent performer of all the products that I have used.gwillmot