Sign in to follow this  
IMAGRANDPA2

Overwhelmed

Calling myself an MD-11 pilot is kind of ridiculous! It has taken me 3 days just to work through the London to Zurich tutorial. I did finally get the plane airborn and headed to Zurich as per the flight plan but it wasn't pretty. I really admire you folks who have mastered the MD-11 simulator. But I digress--can you give me some recommendations on flight planning software that works well with this aircraft's FMC?Thanks as always,Eric

Calling myself an MD-11 pilot is kind of ridiculous! It has taken me 3 days just to work through the London to Zurich tutorial. I did finally get the plane airborn and headed to Zurich as per the flight plan but it wasn't pretty. I really admire you folks who have mastered the MD-11 simulator. But I digress--can you give me some recommendations on flight planning software that works well with this aircraft's FMC?Been there done that, my friend! My advice: fly the tutorial over and over again until you figure it out, and READ THE MANUALS. That seriously is the best thing. And keep flying her - you'll figure it out eventually. Then you'll feel worthy of the title "MD-11 Captain!" HehePaul

I spent about a week learning, studying and more learning, not just normal procedure but abnormal too. Even so you are always learning new things.

Guest PPSFA

You can use the FSX built in flight planner then import the FP through the FMC.

You can use the FSX built in flight planner then import the FP through the FMC.
How do you do that? I've never been able to do that, but I use fsbuild...it works pretty well.

How do you do that? I've never been able to do that, but I use fsbuild...it works pretty well.
Really??? It's all I use. I'm in FS9 though, so maybe it's different?I pick a plan via FlightAware.com, print the plan/page, then open FS9 and use the planner to build the exact plan with aid from charts/TPs. Save the plan, exit the sim and restart the computer with minimal tasks running. Open Active Sky and build the Wx from said plan. Load the sim with a default plane and Alt-Tab to start ASv6.5 Wx process. Once done with Wx writes, I go back load the MD-11. Pre-flight a few things, open the FMC and type my Dep and App airport. The FMC automatically takes me to a page listing all my FS9 .pln waypoints and gives me the option to Insert. I press the Insert LSK and that part is done.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest PPSFA
Simple.... Create your FP in FSX as normal, but when you save it, re name it to ONLY the Departure / Destination ICAO codes.. for example Palm Beach to Orlando would be KPBIKMCO.PLNNow when you open the MCDU, type in the scratchpad KPBIKMCO then click the softkey next to 'Co Route'. It will load the FP, then you can set everything else, including modifying your speeds/alt for each leg if needed. You can also set your arrival runway and approach by clicking the F-PLN key, scrolling to your destination, then clicking the softkey next to it, selecting the 'STAR' option, then the runway and approach depending on the wind. Once inserted, go back to the active FP and CLR any 'discontinuties', push the throttles up, and enjoy the flight :( I have found that usually the numbers are ok, but once in a while the FMC has me too high and too fast for the approach so I modify those. Simply type in the speed/altitude you want...... 190/6000 for example then press the softkey next to the fix/waypoint you want to change. If its outside the planes capability, it wont let you, so its impossible to screw the pooch.I'm sure you know most of that but I added it for Gramps :-)Hope this helps ya.

Guest jaskanFactor

pLEASE DONT go waste your money on new flight planner just for MD11, the FSX one works just fine.One thing i have noticed with the FMC in PMDGs is that you need to have some vor or inresection based waypoints in your flightplan for PMDG to recognise the plan as valid. I usally fly direct routes with no waypoints, so i had to get used to this.And when selecting your landing runway, in the FMC, make the runway selection on the last waypoint on your route, not on the ICAO of the destination airport. And it works all the time.After selecting runway, ILS signal gets tuned in automatically.

I disagree that the FSX flight planner is even adequate for creating routes. No arrivals, departures, fixes and navaid data is more than six years old. Sure, if you want to fly direct then I agree the FSX planner is good enough. Sure is simpler.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest Mower

FS Build works but is outded grafically.I use Flightsim Commander.

Guest Mower

To answer your question, good options are either FS Build (though the GUI is dated and he is working on a new version) or, what I use now, Flightsim Commander.

Guest Totalbeginner

I use RouteFinder every time! It's free and uses real world data. You can even apply route restrictions and conditional routes. It also allows you to select an AIRAC cycle, so you can choose the one that matches your FMC database (if it's out of date). Funnily enough, most of the routes generated by RouteFinder are good enough that they pass IFPS validation. I've used it on occasion in an emergency to generate a route for a real flight, and with a little tweaking, it was accepted by CFMU.http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/Regards,Martin Neep