Sign in to follow this  
Gumps

Failures: Necessary for PMDG Aircraft

I was flying another developers airplane yesterday, and I changed a speed restriction for an upcoming waypoint, and though VNAV and LNAV were engaged, the airplane immediately started a right turn off course. Hmmm. I let it go to see what it would do. It just sort of flew a half circle. Somehow, it lost it's mind. I ended up hand flying it back to the proper track and re-engaging the A/P etc.On yet another airplane, I've experienced similar 'failures', which require me, the PIC, to be alert at all times. Neither of these addons has a 'failures' module. Heck, they don't need it - it's built in! Now mind you, I like all kinds of addons, and I mean no disrespect to people building for me what I could never build for myself.I did think about PMDG though, and the MD-11 in particular. Heck, it works so flawlessly, PMDG has to have a failures module to make something break! Which I suppose is just another reason why PMDG is considered the gold standard.Note: These are just my musings; I know some out there are having issues with various features on PMDG airplanes. I count myself blessed to have my PMDG birds behaving themselves in all respects I'm aware of. Now, if I only had a 737NG for FSX....Noel WBrisbane

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

i7-2600K@4.8||Gigabyte P67A-UD7||8 Gb Mushkin Redline DDR3 1600||Gigabyte GTX580 x 2||Noctua NH-D14||Crucial SATAIII 256Gb x 2||CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W||Coolermaster RC-942 HAF X||Dell U3011 30"|Multiple Monitors w/TH2goD-DH2goD-Touchscreens||Win7 64 Pro||FSX Gold

I was flying another developers airplane yesterday, and I changed a speed restriction for an upcoming waypoint, and though VNAV and LNAV were engaged, the airplane immediately started a right turn off course. Hmmm. I let it go to see what it would do. It just sort of flew a half circle. Somehow, it lost it's mind. I ended up hand flying it back to the proper track and re-engaging the A/P etc.On yet another airplane, I've experienced similar 'failures', which require me, the PIC, to be alert at all times. Neither of these addons has a 'failures' module. Heck, they don't need it - it's built in! Now mind you, I like all kinds of addons, and I mean no disrespect to people building for me what I could never build for myself.I did think about PMDG though, and the MD-11 in particular. Heck, it works so flawlessly, PMDG has to have a failures module to make something break! Which I suppose is just another reason why PMDG is considered the gold standard.Note: These are just my musings; I know some out there are having issues with various features on PMDG airplanes. I count myself blessed to have my PMDG birds behaving themselves in all respects I'm aware of. Now, if I only had a 737NG for FSX....Noel WBrisbane
I'm right there with you, buddy. The MD-11 is seriously flawless. I can't even imagine having that type of integrity in the NG 2.0, the Jetstream, or the Dash!Paul

The MD11 does have a failures module but the timing/randomness choices are way too limitedthis pretty much sums it up:High chance of failureVery high chance of failureExtreme high chance of failureIt will failIt will fail so bad you will dieNo chance of any failures at all...We need middle ground. I made a thread about this not too long ago but never got any official word on it so I don't know what PMDG's stance on it is.

I second that.If you set one tiny-biny thing to go off on the rarest possible frequency, it will definitely go off on a 4+ hr flight. That is just not realistic.I guess if I had the task to tidy up this feature, I would make a log of all failable items in the sim, measure their usage in hrs or in proper usage (for engines, APU, Gears, etc) and save their state along with the panel save feature. Now if you don't load your panel state, you get a fresh-out-of-the-factory bird, but if you do use panel state save-load feature, you'll get what you deserve after let's say a 100 hrs of flight.And that would be it, no financial crap or maintenance routine check planning crap. If you feel that a failed item can be serviced, untick, and off you go, the usage-counter resets.It wouldn't be too hard to develop, and would add a great deal of reality perception to the sim.