Hey guys, I was looking for a headset with good sound quality, surround sound (probably going to be playing BF2142 as well), and under 200$. I know I'm also going to need a better sound card so which one do you guys reccomend for that???Thanks,James

Guest Se7en
Hey guys, I was looking for a headset with good sound quality, surround sound (probably going to be playing BF2142 as well), and under 200$. I know I'm also going to need a better sound card so which one do you guys reccomend for that???Thanks,James
First of all, steer clear of those gimmicky surround sound Headsets, the 5.1 Headsets I've tried are the Zalman and the Medusa ones, the latter I went through two because of the poor build quality, in order to squeeze the needed 5.1 speakers into a Headset, the speakers have to be quite small, and they are, they also suffer because of that, a good set of desktop speakers that offer 5.1 if you really want this is a better bet, then grab yourself a good Headset or set of Headphones and you are good to go.Personally speaking I've tried a couple of good 5.1 desktop speakers set ups and found them lacking too, 5.1 is perfect for Home Cinema, but that's a completely different ball-game, for desktop speakers I'm currently using the Logitech Z-2300 2.1 set up and cant fault it, the Sub Woofer is ground shaking if you want it to be and the quality of sound and separation from the speakers is more than up to the job for general computing and especially gaming including Flight Sim.I've went through a few Headsets and currently own the Sennheiser PC-350 Headset that is the best gaming Headset I've tried to date, extremely comfortable and if you like comms, the microphone is apparently crystal clear from what my Pals tell me. if you get one, be sure to do the Bass mod, the drivers in the PC-350 are apparently exactly the same as those in the better sounding Sennheiser HD600 lower range, the PC-350 is a closed design though and for that has a little less sound stage than open Headphones, but fine if like me you stay up late and dont want to annoy the other residents of the house.PC-350 free bass mod instructions.For even more audiophile listening, the Sennheiser HD600 and greater range are the way to go, these are open Headphones though, so best used when the rest of the house is awake :)As regards sound cards, I've recently upgraded from a Creative Labs Extreme Gamer to an Asus Xonar D2X (PCI-E version that needs a floppy connector for power) and the difference between the Creative Labs Extreme Gamer (a very good sound card that suffers from poor driver support) is like night and day ... I highly recommend it.

WOW, thanks for the detailed info!!! Right now I have some $20 3 year old headset and the onboard sound so pretty much anything will be an upgrade right now!!! :( The card you listed seems a little pricey but the Sound Blaster looks about in my range. I was just wondering how the sound in FSX is on the PC350 and how music sounds on it. It looks pricey but I'm willing to pay for a good headset for music, fs, and some first person shooters. Thanks for your help,James

Guest Se7en

Hi, the PC-350 is a great sounding headset in FSX and FS9 and all other Flight Simulations and Games I've tried, the Bass mod is essential though, but unlike the link I've posted you might want to drill one hole to start with, this is what I've done and most users agree it sounds better this way, your mileage may vary though, you can always cover up the extra drilled holes with something like insulating tape I suppose if you want to try more.I'd go for a PC-350 if I were you, its a quality item and extremely comfortable to use for long periods of time, you wont regret it.As regards the Xonar, well I got lucky and got it for far less of the list price by watching it on Ebay, a lot of Guys are selling them because of purchase errors, especially the PCI-E version, either they dont have this bus, or dont have the free slots available, that's the scenario I got mine :)The Creative Labs Extreme Gamer is pretty good though, even the Vista 64 drivers are not too bad the last I checked. Just be sure to uncheck any onboard sound card devices in the BIOS and un-install any onboard sound driver you are currently using.

Hi, the PC-350 is a great sounding headset in FSX and FS9 and all other Flight Simulations and Games I've tried, the Bass mod is essential though, but unlike the link I've posted you might want to drill one hole to start with, this is what I've done and most users agree it sounds better this way, your mileage may vary though, you can always cover up the extra drilled holes with something like insulating tape I suppose if you want to try more.I'd go for a PC-350 if I were you, its a quality item and extremely comfortable to use for long periods of time, you wont regret it.As regards the Xonar, well I got lucky and got it for far less of the list price by watching it on Ebay, a lot of Guys are selling them because of purchase errors, especially the PCI-E version, either they dont have this bus, or dont have the free slots available, that's the scenario I got mine :)The Creative Labs Extreme Gamer is pretty good though, even the Vista 64 drivers are not too bad the last I checked. Just be sure to uncheck any onboard sound card devices in the BIOS and un-install any onboard sound driver you are currently using.
Do yourself a favour and buy a set of beyerdynamic MMX2 headphones!!!!If you want headphones checkout this place http://headphones.com.au/Andrew Dixon

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

Guest Se7en
Do yourself a favour and buy a set of beyerdynamic MMX2 headphones!!!!If you want headphones checkout this place http://headphones.com.au/Andrew Dixon
Thanks, but it wasn't me that was asking for advice in the first instance, also the Guy was asking about Headsets, not Hi-Fi Headphones, though hopefully I've steered him in the right direction if this is what he wants.I'm perfectly happy with my PC audio set-up.

Ok, thanks a lot man. When I get enough money saved up for the PC350 and the Extreme Gamer I'll definately purchase them.Thanks, James

Guest Nick_N

Another vote for the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 = HOLY DIGITAL SOUND BATMAN!Those multiple element headsets are a complete gimmick. They do not provide the same range and clarity of sound as a well designed/engineered headset, they are susceptible to interference, they are very poorly engineered for structural integrity in long term use (ears easily break off), they are analog and the amp is NOT an official Dolby surround product... its a cheap unshielded pass-through amplifier. If you are looking for drop-dead, clear, realistic reproduction and surround, these two products paired up are the way to go http://shop.beyerdynamic-usa.com/multimedia/mmx-300.htmlhttp://www.astrogaming.com/products/detail/5/A40-MixAmp/that is a certified Dolby Decoder unit...and use a coaxial or optical cable from the computer to it for true 5.1 digital and downmixThat combination is as close to a professional Dolby Home Theater system one can get without spending thousands. Worth every penny spent too. The low freq will rumble you without distortion and you will hear the direction of every sound crystal clearThe MMX 300 headset designed to aviation standards. 5yr warrany Solid metal headband construction, Crush velvet earpads.. wear them all day and never uncomfortable and a solid mic for outstanding voice pickup. You get lost in both games and movies .. THX is incredible with those.That is a purchase you would make once in 5+ years.. do yourself a favor and REALLY enjoy your sound. Dont fall for the 5.1 surround sound headset gimmick from Medusa or others! You GET what you pay for! Buyer Beware

Thanks Nick, but the headsets you suggested look just a little out of my price range :( Lol, I think I'll go for the PC350 and I'm thinking about getting the amp you suggested. I've heard people say an Amp is great for headsets but what exactly does it do.Thanks for all your help,JamesEDIT: Nick, what do you think about the PC350?

Guest Nick_N
Thanks Nick, but the headsets you suggested look just a little out of my price range :( Lol, I think I'll go for the PC350 and I'm thinking about getting the amp you suggested. I've heard people say an Amp is great for headsets but what exactly does it do.Thanks for all your help,JamesEDIT: Nick, what do you think about the PC350?
The amp has a hardware Dolby decoder built into it. It is powered by a USB cable or battery if you wish to use it mobile. Using the optical (preferred) or coaxial cable from the PC to the unit it will automatically detect Dolby surround (in any format) and send the correct signal to a digital headset which is what those headsets are, digital elements. The MMX 300 elements have a response of 5hz to 30k which will deliver everything from the low end to the highs crystal clear. The amp is used to trim in the volume and also allows you to trim voice over game on the fly at the same time. Use of that unit removes the need to change/adjust the sound properties or mess with surround settings. Once you have set up your PC for digital out the external does the rest with full dolby hardware support. You simply set up your EQ on the PC (I have EQ settings that work for all audio) and the master volume and the amp/decoder does the rest. The PC350s are a good set, but nothing like the MMX300's, and they WILL require a mod to get any good bass out of them. I did not like the lows on that set and did not buy them to even try out because if that. I did not feel like voiding a warranty to try a mod that may or may not work for my ears.. I have very critical standards for sound and if the mod may have helped but not provided the deep clarity in low response I demand it would have meant I bought them. I spent many weeks checking and testing different headsets and bar-none the MMX 300

Guest Nick_N

Here.. I found something for youhttp://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...G&A=detailsDont pass that up.. that is a DEAL. B&H did not have them back when I purchased. I paid 439 out of Germany when they were first released.. they are 349-400 now depending on the retailer involved and the MMX 300 @ 299 are a FLAT OUT DEALI know the retailer, you can trust them and they are well respected

Here.. I found something for youhttp://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...G&A=detailsDont pass that up.. that is a DEAL. I paid 439 when they were first released.. they are 349-400 now depending on the retailer involved and the MMX 300 @ 299 are a FLAT OUT DEALI know the retailer, you can trust them and they are well respected
Awe nice, thanks man. I'll think about it over the next couple days and see if my wallet can take the hit.Thanks, James

Guest Nick_N
Awe nice, thanks man. I'll think about it over the next couple days and see if my wallet can take the hit.Thanks, James
Here is a little tip... at the B&H page down by the price.. see where it says EMAIL ME A BETTER PRICE... take a chance, they may sell them to you at a further discount, or, they may tell you that is their rock bottom. I have gotten an addtional 10-30% off that way from B&H on some lucky strikes using their email system.

Guest Se7en
So yes, it will work with the PC350'sBlows the PC350s away
Really? and I thought you were taking a break?I dont know why I bother offering advice here any more, Nick always springs up to unsurp everyone! even when he's on a break :)I'm quite the audiophile (apart from FS) but for FS, this is getting silly now.I play Guitar and saw Pink Floyd play the last live concerts in Earls Court London and met David Gilmour, but somehow I know Nick is going to have me beat?*Shrugs, its all yours, Nick*I'm still happy with my sound on my PC.

I really like my pair of Sennheisers...http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/produ...?transid=500924I believe they were about 100 bucks off newegg, if you can find them thereOn the plus side you don't need deep pockets to purchase these and they sound great, highs mids lows - all well balanced. I play BF2, Warcraft III, FSX, Command and Conquer 3, all work great!My sound card is one of the first generation Creative X-fi cards

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |