Sign in to follow this  
JHepburn

Inserting Duplicate STAR

I think I'm making a mistake when inserting an approach that causes a duplicate STAR to get inserted. Typically when I setup my route during pre-flight, I don't insert an approach/runway. Often, once assigned during descent, I:

• select flight plan menu
  • select last waypoint in the flight plan to open lateral revision page
  • select STAR page
  • select approach/runway
  • select INSERT

...and the result is duplicate waypoint inserted for the STAR after the existing STAR waypoint.Not a showstopper, but just a pain in the butt to clean up all those waypoints. Am I doing something wrong? Are others seeing this behavior as well?Thanks!

I think I'm making a mistake when inserting an approach that causes a duplicate STAR to get inserted. Typically when I setup my route during pre-flight, I don't insert an approach/runway. Often, once assigned during descent, I:
  • select flight plan menu
  • select last waypoint in the flight plan to open lateral revision page
  • select STAR page
  • select approach/runway
  • select INSERT

...and the result is duplicate waypoint inserted for the STAR after the existing STAR waypoint.Not a showstopper, but just a pain in the butt to clean up all those waypoints. Am I doing something wrong? Are others seeing this behavior as well?Thanks!

That happens when your transition waypoint is included in the STAR and you use the same waypoint it to enter the latrev edit. It's not a golden rule to add the star to the final waypoint (before the rwy) if you know the STAR has the waypoint included latrev then enter the star from the previous waypoint. It is common to have to clean up your flight plans like that though.

Assume you are on a flight to KDFW. On the ground you entered the entire route to include an arrival. In this example lets use the JEN8 arrival and the INK transition. Then, as you are nearing KDFW you plan on the ILS 36L approach. Do a lateral revision from the last waypoint prior to KDFW. Select arrivals. Then select ILS 36L. The next thing to do is press the CLR key and line select 1L to remove selection of the JEN8 arrival. If you do not do this, then when you select 6L to insert the ILS 36L into the flight plan page you will also select the JEN8 arrival which has already been selected during preflight. This will cause problems with PROFILE mode and cause duplicate waypoints on the flight plan page.Adam

Assume you are on a flight to KDFW. On the ground you entered the entire route to include an arrival. In this example lets use the JEN8 arrival and the INK transition. Then, as you are nearing KDFW you plan on the ILS 36L approach. Do a lateral revision from the last waypoint prior to KDFW. Select arrivals. Then select ILS 36L. The next thing to do is press the CLR key and line select 1L to remove selection of the JEN8 arrival. If you do not do this, then when you select 6L to insert the ILS 36L into the flight plan page you will also select the JEN8 arrival which has already been selected during preflight. This will cause problems with PROFILE mode and cause duplicate waypoints on the flight plan page.Adam
Makes sense Adam, thanks!

That problem caused much angst until somebody showed me how to get around it. If the STAR is already loaded, when you go to select the approach, you will see the selected STAR on the left side, thus the first line looks like this:ABC1<SEL> ILS9When you select the approach, it looks like this:ABC1<SEL> <SEL>ILS9Pressing INSERT will enter the approach and the STAR. What you need to do is press the CLR key, then select 1L. That will clear the STAR, so that only the approach is loaded.This FMS is rather strange. Not quite as smart as the Boeing FMS's sometimes. :( Paul

That problem caused much angst until somebody showed me how to get around it. If the STAR is already loaded, when you go to select the approach, you will see the selected STAR on the left side, thus the first line looks like this:ABC1<SEL> ILS9When you select the approach, it looks like this:ABC1<SEL> <SEL>ILS9Pressing INSERT will enter the approach and the STAR. What you need to do is press the CLR key, then select 1L. That will clear the STAR, so that only the approach is loaded.This FMS is rather strange. Not quite as smart as the Boeing FMS's sometimes. :( Paul
I hear ya Paul. Old habits die hard...Thanks again guys.