Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

MD-11 flying faster than set ?

Hi all,When flying slower at lower altitudes the speed seems correct.However at higher altitues the speed that is set gets different form the speed the aircraft is flying.Am I doing something wrong here ?See the attached screenshot. Gerard

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Gerard,Make sure you have Indicated Air Speed set in FS settingsHope it helps,

Hi all,When flying slower at lower altitudes the speed seems correct.However at higher altitues the speed that is set gets different form the speed the aircraft is flying.Am I doing something wrong here ?See the attached screenshot. Gerard
I do not think that the problem related to indicated air speed.There are several other problems in your picutre:1. engines are off as indicated ?! (No N1, EGT, N2)2. Your current speed in the overspeed range ????Something definitely wrong here.Matyas Majzik

Your panel is a mess. You read the manuals at all?? No FMS speed or NAV modes engaged. Landing altitude not set (FMS not programmed). TCAS off, CLB thrust at cruise. 29.83 baro at FL330? What are you doing???

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Your panel is a mess. You read the manuals at all?? No FMS speed or NAV modes engaged. Landing altitude not set (FMS not programmed). TCAS off, CLB thrust at cruise. 29.83 baro at FL330? What are you doing???
Because I am beta testing groundtextured at lots of places I am just flying and not making paricular fights.Therefor I do not use the fmc, just the autopilot.When the speedindicator is showing knots it is all correct.Only with Mach they are different.I thought it had to be the same even when not using the fmc.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Guest Proflig8tor

Without digging too deep into your observation, I strongly suspect that what you are seeing is the MD11's alpha protection (stall protection) system trying to save you. The MD11's wing is basically a DC10-10 wing with minor modifications. In other words, the wing is on the smallish size for the weight of the aircraft. As a result the speeds are higher to generate the needed lift. Clean speed, with flaps and slats fully retracted can be over 244 KIAS at some weights. You can use 200KIAS as a safe speed with slats extended, 0 flaps.The stall protection system will first use autothrottles to try to maintain your minimum speed, then extend the slats to try to save you, before stick shaker and pusher activation. Try sticking slats out and see if the autothrottles hold commanded speed better. In the real world autothrottles are nice, but not perfect. I see them get 10 knots fast, or slow. Consider the effect of winds. If you have a 80 knot tail wind and change heading into the wind, the total change on the jet is 160 KIAS. At FL 350 the effect of the wind shift is 272 knots ground speed. Sometimes we forget what we are asking autothrottles to accomplish on a half million pounds of airplane with enormous engines that require time to react.

Haha very funny.
Yes indeed HAHAHAHA, at least some of us know a joke when we see one!
Am I doing something wrong here ?Gerard
HAHA yes, veeeery funny.....Carl

The aircraft is flying to fast for stalling as I can see when using Shift + Z.This sounds very plausable : thanks for th explanation.In the real world autothrottles are nice, but not perfect. I see them get 10 knots fast, or slow. Consider the effect of winds. If you have a 80 knot tail wind and change heading into the wind, the total change on the jet is 160 KIAS. At FL 350 the effect of the wind shift is 272 knots ground speed. Sometimes we forget what we are asking autothrottles to accomplish on a half million pounds of airplane with enormous engines that require time to reactQUOTE (VIPERGTSR01 @ Apr 26 2009, 09:45 AM) Haha very funny.Yes indeed HAHAHAHA, at least some of us know a joke when we see one!QUOTE (GSalden @ Apr 26 2009, 06:51 AM) Am I doing something wrong here ?GerardHAHA yes, veeeery funny.....CarlI suggest these are just small children who do not even had a clue why exactly the issue appeared....Gerard

Because I am beta testing groundtextured at lots of places I am just flying and not making paricular fights.
Then pick another much simpler aircraft for your testing ... as others suggested your panel is a total mess and your engines seem to be completely out. If you don't want to learn how to fly MD-11 properly (yes, you can fly it without FMC) - give it up, this is not a Micky Mouse simulation that you can pick up in 5 minutes. :(

The aircraft is flying to fast for stalling as I can see when using Shift + Z.This sounds very plausable : thanks for th explanation.In the real world autothrottles are nice, but not perfect. I see them get 10 knots fast, or slow. Consider the effect of winds. If you have a 80 knot tail wind and change heading into the wind, the total change on the jet is 160 KIAS. At FL 350 the effect of the wind shift is 272 knots ground speed. Sometimes we forget what we are asking autothrottles to accomplish on a half million pounds of airplane with enormous engines that require time to reactQUOTE (VIPERGTSR01 @ Apr 26 2009, 09:45 AM) Haha very funny.Yes indeed HAHAHAHA, at least some of us know a joke when we see one!QUOTE (GSalden @ Apr 26 2009, 06:51 AM) Am I doing something wrong here ?GerardHAHA yes, veeeery funny.....CarlI suggest these are just small children who do not even had a clue why exactly the issue appeared....Gerard
As a student pilot in the real world I would like to tell you that you can stall at any speed. It all depends on angle of attack so to speak.

I suggest these are just small children who do not even had a clue why exactly the issue appeared....Gerard
Hey the aircraft is setup so wrong, so far into red tape I thought this was a joke, I wouldn't expect the aircrafts autopilot to do what it's told while in the red. Maybe try it in a correctly setup aircraft and see if it still does it.

Something is totally off.No engine indication but Fuel Flow? Did you modify the .air file of the aircraft or do you use some non-PMDG external tool to change the payload and fuel?As someone has already mentioned your angle of attack is too high. Notice the magenta indicators at ca. 2 deg up. Your nose should not go any higher than that.How long have you been in the cruise in this screenshot? Your CoG looks a bit far to the aft for me.Maybe as a result of that elevator trim is a bit off, too. I usually get something like 0.2 ANU when I am in cruise. But this is just guessing from my side.If you give us your payload and fuel info someone could try to recreate your problem.Regards

Hi Folks, it's a joke ! Don't you see it !It is a late 1. of April joke !Tka a look at the picture, VC cockpit with missing details, odd angle to the panel. Who would care to first use something like active camera in order to provide us with a picture to show this kind of problem.It would be much better and easier to capture the picture in 2d panel. No N1, wrong QNH and so on.......No one would have called other people childish if not for the purpose of exalate the whole joke when the issue is that way off. Who buy a PMDG MD11 and put such a topic to the forum . common folks - it's a joke !Carl

For me I guess that you have to turn on the Anti Ice, the TAT is -32Regards.