Sign in to follow this  
turner112

Why aren't more panels scrollable?

Didn't even know FS could do this - Happens to be one of my favorite features of Fly!...why isn't this implemented on more aircraft, especially the big guys? Is it really hard to program or create?AVSIM's meridian review talks about this.http://www.avsim.com/pages/0203/meridian/meridian.htmlAndrew

Sorry, but the Meridian panel does not scroll like the lovely Fly! panels. It

I kind of like those scrollable FLY panels myself ---------- BUT, and a BIG BUT.................. if you need to get somewhere quick for a button, lever, or what ever; you either need a key assigned pop-up part of the panel, or multiple partial panels like MSFS assigned to keys.You can't scroll around in real time, and not take your eyes off key instruments or outside scan. It only takes that partial second to screw things up, unless on a leisurely auto-pilot flight.The best part of FLY panels that I liked, is to pull the top portion down, and having the outside perspective change with it. Of course the upside of some FLY panels is the fact, that the defaults looked quite authentic, along with sharp graphics. The downside is that many smaller instruments are very hard to read, even on my 22" monitor.L.Adamson

The perspective change is my single favorite thing.I mean, look: even in a 172, there is a lot more visibility than roughly the top 1/2 of the screen, and let's just say that I think heavy iron pilots don't have massively restricted views... I realize they're not flying VFR but I'd like to see more. I also realize it's screen real estate we're talking about, and it's at a premium.Not seeing the cowling in a 172 (and other craft) is strange to me since I'm 6'1" and not only see the 172 cowling but use it for reference on climb-out - I just put it on the horizon. On turns I use the upside of the cowling for visual reference. 2002 puts the top of the dash well above the horizon unless I pan down... even then, no cowl. I can't imagine why it's not there at least in the virtual cockpit views.Andrew

Guest JeanLuc_

Actually you pointed out correctly!In Fly!, panning around is too slow to quickly set a switch there and there BUT it provided somekind of "feeling" with the external view angle changing along the panel scrolling.In FS2002, you can't pan so this limit the expandability/accuracy of the panel layout especially for spread out panels. Most are then forced, in order to focus the center gauges to the primaries, to shrink the size of the gauges and add extra panel dahsboard bitmap to the left for example. All this at the expense of readability. To circumvent this limitation, the VC is a good approach, but lack interactivy yet (announced to be solved in FS2004).The Meridian in my opinion is the best of both world, or at least a very good compromise within the limitations of a screen: panning around the extended dashboard while not compromising the speed to go back and forth, while maintaining a very good readability in using large gauges eventhough the panel layout is 100 accurate to the original from left to right and top to bottom. And for waht its worth, while panning around the main gauges stay in focus. So you can fiddle with the A/P, change your Pressurisation settings while always keeping an eye to your navigation and flying!Not often mentioned, but a typical illustration of what went in the design of the aircraft! :-)

>Not seeing the cowling in a 172 (and other craft) is strange>to me since I'm 6'1" and not only see the 172 cowling but use>it for reference on climb-out - I just put it on the horizon.>On turns I use the upside of the cowling for visual reference.>2002 puts the top of the dash well above the horizon unless I>pan down... even then, no cowl. I can't imagine why it's not>there at least in the virtual cockpit views.>Addon's such as the updated FSD Commander, has a cowl view in the VC. In regards to the VC's, use shift enter & shift backspace to move your eye point higher or lower.......... in addition to active camera and other keys. IMO, the VC with eye-point pulled back, such as defaulted in the SF260----------- provides the best look and feel for VFR flight when landing, pattern, or takeoff.L.Adamson

Duh... I forgot about moving the eye point!I've been using + and - to adjust view (slapping head now)Thanks for the jolt. Off to try it - Andrew>Addon's such as the updated FSD Commander, has a cowl view in>the VC. In regards to the VC's, use shift enter & shift>backspace to move your eye point higher or lower.......... in>addition to active camera and other keys. IMO, the VC with>eye-point pulled back, such as defaulted in the>SF260----------- provides the best look and feel for VFR>flight when landing, pattern, or takeoff.>>L.Adamson