Sign in to follow this  
markturner

Graphics problems after using HDR mod and FPS limiter

Hi, I thought i would start a new thread re this problem. Basically, since using the EMB series HDR mod and the FPS limiter, I have been having the following graphics relatered issues:graphical anomolies on the plane modelsMulticoloured flickering dots on the screencycling views massive slowdownsscreen lock upsBSOD with a NVKDLLM error messageThis occurs in FSX and in Black shark, the only 2 programmes i have on this install, but not all the time. So i am am concluding it is not FSX specific. I have needless to say removed the .ini file and .dll, but still have these problems. They are not all the time, and the wierd thing is, when they do not occur, FSX seems to run amazingly, with masively increased frame rates etc. But i can switch the PC on and get the troubles as described. Its completely random. I have changed the drivers from 182.08 to 182.50, both are WHQL certified, and used driver cleaner in between. This only started occuring after I used the 2 apps. Both seem to change the graphics on the PC by using different .dll and messing with D3D, so i am wondering if some kind of corruption has occurred. My tech knowledge is not great on this subject, i wondered, firstly if anyone else has had these issues and secondly, if anyone has any suggestions as to how to proceed.Hoping you can help, thx, Mark

None of these two programs can do harm to a system: as soon as you close the programs (and absolutely after restarting the computer) there is no way these two programs can be responsible for the problems. They don't alter or change any default FSX files nor any other files on your computer. When the programs are closes and the dll and ini from the bloom addon is removed from the FSX directory, they are completely gone. So something else must be causing the problems...

What graphics card do you have, and did you overclock the card? This sounds like a problem with the memory frequency of the card, or it could have been damage from heat.

I have a BFG GTX280OC, already overclocked in the factory. I have changed drivers again, still the same random problems. The wierd thing is, it does not do it all the time, and when I re boot from a blue screen, the sim usually runs really well and fast, like 50% better frames rates. Last night, the first flight after i booted up, i got a blue screen, then after that rebooted and did 2 perfect flights. The other thing I noticed was that usually, it takes noticably longer to load the flight before an lock up and the opposite before a normal flight.... Any advice would be appreciated, I dont want to RMA the card as I wont be able to fly!!! But I guess I may have to. I also have a dual boot, using vista 32, for my FPS games and have yet to experience any problems when booting into that OS, so what does that tell you???????Thx, Mark

I doubt it has something to do with the two programs. I am using them together with Vista 64 and a GTX285 without the slightest problems. But I know that some people report graphic anomalies in conjuntion with their (older) cards.I have another suspect: Are you sure that your power supply is up to the task? Lots of instability comes from power supplies that run at their limits.

Hi, I am inclined to agree, I think it is hardware or driver related. My Powersupply is an 1100 watt tagan, so should be ok. I think it may be vista related from trawling the net for the " nvlddmkm has stopped responding and has recovered" message I sometimes get after a lock up.The wierd thing is, the PC has just been rebuilt, with a completely fresh install of both 32 and 64 bit Vista and a fresh install of FSX. It ran fine for approx 2 weeks, no problems, as I gradually installed all my scenery and addons. Got them all installed, started setting up my config files and experimenting with tuning, by using the FPS limiter and the HDR mod and then the problems started. BTW, I also used Rivatuner to set the card fan speed to run at 95% all the time, so the card temp must be ok as well.thx, Mark

It is not hardware related, I think the mod messes with the main DirectX .dll files or something, because on Vista you have the areo effects which are 3D enabled, and use DX (DirectX) to render. Yesterday I was watching a video on gametrailers.net (which is like the 10 billionth time I've done so, without any problems) and then all of a sudden I started getting that weird picture corruption that I got right after the ENBSeries mod in FSX. I couldn't believe it! So what I did is I got the directx runtime that updates DX dlls and replaces any missing files, and that solved it for me. It also updates your DX versions to the most recent SDKs! If you are willing to, you can get the DirectX SDK, but last time I checked its over 400 MB but is great for developers.DirectX Web Installer/Runtime: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

It is not hardware related, I think the mod messes with the main DirectX .dll files or something, because on Vista you have the areo effects which are 3D enabled, and use DX (DirectX) to render. Yesterday I was watching a video on gametrailers.net (which is like the 10 billionth time I've done so, without any problems) and then all of a sudden I started getting that weird picture corruption that I got right after the ENBSeries mod in FSX. I couldn't believe it! So what I did is I got the directx runtime that updates DX dlls and replaces any missing files, and that solved it for me. It also updates your DX versions to the most recent SDKs! If you are willing to, you can get the DirectX SDK, but last time I checked its over 400 MB but is great for developers.DirectX Web Installer/Runtime: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
Thx For the reply, so, what is the situation then with either of these applications? Is is definitive that neither of them mess in any way with directX or display drivers? Any experts out there who can say for sure? The other really puzzling thing is the randomness. You would have thought that if there was a problem, it wouyld be there all the time, not just sometimes. What could be the cause of that? I did do the directX update, as well as driver change, but am still running the mod and have still had trouble. Perhaps I should update again, change drivers again and see if I still have trouble again.

Thx For the reply, so, what is the situation then with either of these applications? Is is definitive that neither of them mess in any way with directX or display drivers? Any experts out there who can say for sure? The other really puzzling thing is the randomness. You would have thought that if there was a problem, it wouyld be there all the time, not just sometimes. What could be the cause of that? I did do the directX update, as well as driver change, but am still running the mod and have still had trouble. Perhaps I should update again, change drivers again and see if I still have trouble again.
You will probably still get the problems, unless delete the .dlls, and then update directx using the web installer/runtime, or get the directx SDK. I personally would get the DirectX SDK, because it will update your .dlls no matter if they are the same. You can also set what kind of version of DirectX you want to run using its utilities but you'll have to figure out how to use that yourself :). (Debug/Retail)