Sign in to follow this  
Guest LouisW

Grey panel after crash with the MD11

Guest LouisW

Hi,I own FSX and the PMDG MD-11 and 747. I have a little problem: when I crash or reset the flight, my MD-11 panel is all grey. I see the shape of it, but it's filled in grey. Do you know what's going on?ThanksLouis Williamson

Guest manniko
Hi,I own FSX and the PMDG MD-11 and 747. I have a little problem: when I crash or reset the flight, my MD-11 panel is all grey. I see the shape of it, but it's filled in grey. Do you know what's going on?ThanksLouis Williamson
Hi Louis,the same happens to me ALL THE time as well. I also have really to solve this very annoying problem. I treally looks to me that PMDG - especially with the MD-11 - has a lot of problems. I only read about these problems and very seldom I read answers with working solutions. Very often pilots are reporting the same or similar problems but nobody - neither PMDG - comes up with some solutions. I also have the impression that a lot more problems came up since the last update for the MD-11.I cross my fingers that PMDG will explain themselves and take care of those reports and software bugs.Manfred

Manfred, thanks for trying to help but I missed the part in your post where you offered a working solution.Louis: What happens when you first load a MD11 flight? Does it initialize and work everytime the first time? What about when you select reset flight from the MSFS menu, does it always restart the initialization or is this where you are having a problem (I am trying to ignore the after-crash scenario... I have never understood MSFS behavior after crash and I tend to avoid them).A little more info would help.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest mariner75
Manfred, thanks for trying to help but I missed the part in your post where you offered a working solution.Louis: What happens when you first load a MD11 flight? Does it initialize and work everytime the first time? What about when you select reset flight from the MSFS menu, does it always restart the initialization or is this where you are having a problem (I am trying to ignore the after-crash scenario... I have never understood MSFS behavior after crash and I tend to avoid them).A little more info would help.
Dan,I had this same problem a few days ago. I was flying another airplane within FSX and it crashed and asked to restart the sim. The next time I loaded FSX, I started with the default flight, then loaded in the MD-11. The instalization process was not done and it went right to the gray 2-D panel. The VC showed up, however, nothing could be clicked or moved by a mouse or joystick. I haven't tried to re-install the MD-11 yet, but maybe that might work. Also, this was the first time this occured since I owned the MD-11 and I recently just updated the MD-11 with the new update. Maybe that has something to do with it? Hope this information will help.Jared L.

Manfred, thanks for trying to help but I missed the part in your post where you offered a working solution.
tude?

Guest LouisW
Yes, it does initialize and work everytime when I first load it. But when I reset the flight, I get the grey panel, and there is no initialization (also I can't go anymore in PDMG -> Options, when I try to load a panel state, the list is empty, ...)I'm using Windows XP SP3, and I tried repairing the VC++ runtimes.Thanks for helping :)

Yes, it does initialize and work everytime when I first load it. But when I reset the flight, I get the grey panel, and there is no initialization (also I can't go anymore in PDMG -> Options, when I try to load a panel state, the list is empty, ...)
Louis, I believe, and maybe I've just misunderstood things, that this is a FSX/Microsoft issue of some sort. I know there is a section in the PMDG introduction about things like this.I know if you try to reload the same type (Engines) plane, this will happen. Based on what you're saying about it not happening when you first load everything, this sounds like the same issue.EDIT: I found what I was thinking of. Look at page 77 (and 76) of the MD-11 Introduction. I believe that's what you are experiencing, but I might be wrong.

My FS9 MD-11 has just gone kaput as well. Flew it a day or so ago, no problems, but I always fly the cargo version. Tonight I tried the WOA PW version, but it won't initialize and the screens are blank. Can't do anything with it. Gonna try an uninstall/reinstall now. Never had anything like this before with any add-on.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Chris, is it only the PW version?
It seemed to only be the PW Pax version. I was able to load the cargo version just fine, which was also PW. Very odd. As I said, I usually only fly the PW cargo version, with the occassional flight using the other models. Tonight I attempted to load up the WOA Pax version, which I had used in the beginning of the FS9 MD release, however, it wouldn't finish loading. The panel would appear and all NavData would load, but the panel would stay bright (night time outside) and all displays, radios, fuel, misc items were blank. Nothing seemed to work, so no attempt at switch on and off battery was gonna do it. I tried a couple different times, always making sure to run over a default plane (flight), which I always do, but it wouldn't work. Only the cargo version would load. I had to uninstall twice since the first reinstall didn't work. For some reason the remove tool in Add/Remove seemed to just hang and only remove maybe 50% of the plane. I ended up manually removing all folders and searching all MD-11 registry entries to delete. Then restart and reinstall RTM then patch. Repairing the run libraries wouldn't fix it, running the update patch wouldn't fix it; I had to remove it completely and reinstall from scratch.I only have the FS9 version on XP Pro SP3.I did get it to work and just finished my WOA flight into KPOB. All seemed to work fine, but I'm curious as to why this happened. I thought maybe the 744 flight I did over the weekend might have had something to do with it, but I didn't think the 744 and MD-11 were tied in any way (e.g., PMDG options.dll), and I'm pretty sure I used the MD-11 Sunday after using the 744. Nothing else had been done or changed to my sim or computer.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired