Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oups

Altimeter update issue with 747-400

sSorry, I put first my message on the wrong forum)HiJust a little qestion for 747-400:I leave say XXXX with QNH 1014 (checked in PMDG when setting altimeter - data confirmed by TOPCAT download, ASA injection, and check FS real weather). I land in YYYY with QNH from the same source 1017 (checked and set in PMDG). Tough landing (like flaring too early).... at gate I checked PMDG QNH reading: 1011 (rechecked other sources: 1017 as announced). Tried to reload the bird at same location.... 1011 (other sources: 1017). Strange no? Or I missed something.For info: PMDG updated - not too much add-onds (well...)FSX updated SP2System: vista ultimate 64 bits, 4mo RAMThansk for any cluePhilippe

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Okay, I see where you are going with this. Blame the hard landing on the altimeter :( . When you press the B key, the default MSFS key command will set the altimeter to whatever the "local" setting is but I think you are saying that you are not getting the same as "other sources?" Compare the setting with the MSFS local weather through the wx dialog boxes, look at advanced custom settings and it should be the same.If you are saying the local in MSFS is different from the PMDG altimeter setting when you press the B key, then this is pretty unusual. Hadn't seen this one reported before.

Okay, I see where you are going with this. Blame the hard landing on the altimeter :( . When you press the B key, the default MSFS key command will set the altimeter to whatever the "local" setting is but I think you are saying that you are not getting the same as "other sources?" Compare the setting with the MSFS local weather through the wx dialog boxes, look at advanced custom settings and it should be the same.If you are saying the local in MSFS is different from the PMDG altimeter setting when you press the B key, then this is pretty unusual. Hadn't seen this one reported before.
HiThanks for your interest! I am not sure if I was clear. I generally do not have to use the "B" key . When ASA injects the weather, including pressure, at departing airport, I turn the knob until the yellow mark line up on the altitude tape. At this time, the indication on the HSI is then the same as the ASA report (or TOPCAT download). After passing transition I set STD then, when I get the QNH for the arrival airport, I turn the knob again to have the local altimeter. I am surprised that doing so, once landed, though the announced QNH has been properly entered, when using the knob to align the yellow mark, it does not match the "injected" QNH value.... Isn't this bizare? I never noticed that on Level-D 767. Enevn on 747... though when I land properly I rarely check back the local pressure and better have a whisky...Looking forward to hear from youPhilippe

Addition:Something to do with FSX weather settings? I just select "User defined weather" and let ASA (Active Sky Advanced) do the rest.

I've noticed the barometer changing within just a few miles in MSFS... for example, descending through FL180 at about 60nm out the local MSFS weather will be different than at the airport. I always push B again when about 10 nm from destination. Even when wx is inject by ASA, the internal MSFS wx engine has a mind of its own, pressures temperatures and most widely known problem is winds will vary inside that much maligned weather system they put in flight sim.

I've noticed the barometer changing within just a few miles in MSFS... for example, descending through FL180 at about 60nm out the local MSFS weather will be different than at the airport. I always push B again when about 10 nm from destination. Even when wx is inject by ASA, the internal MSFS wx engine has a mind of its own, pressures temperatures and most widely known problem is winds will vary inside that much maligned weather system they put in flight sim.
I believe the correct procedure is to get the destination airport pressure from ATIS and dial it in to the main and backups. Using the B key will only set the main altimeter to the pressure MS reports for your current location, which is not necessarily the same as your destination airport. Also, if you want smoother (and safer) landings, use radar alt instead of baro.