Sign in to follow this  
jerryuscg

Special thanks to Alex Reid

Alex, I'd like to give a SPECIAL thanks to you for all of the help, ideas and modivation to get into the 3 monitor Flight Sim Mode. My latest and almost last problem was the flashing -flickering view on my RIGHT hand monitor. I had found, by "trail and error" that the 3 differant views on the 3 monitors could nor should NOT overlap, or better yet, NOT EVEN TOUCH each other. I did NOT know or discover that also the LEFT and RIGHT views should not overlap or touch the BOTTOM of the monitors either. I moved the RIGHT and LEFT views about 1/8 inch AWAY from the CENTER monitor and also moved both of those views about 1/8 inch UP from the BOTTOM of the monitors. This seemed to be the "magic" position as I have now completed two differant flights of over two hours each with 100% SUCESSES !!! NO FLASHING; NO FLICKERING :( That 1/8 inch of "empty space" from the bottom insides of the RIGHT and LEFT hand monitors seemed to do the trick. Thanks again for this and the other help in the past year for me getting "fired" up enough to spend about $10,000 for my new rig ( I know that's a lot BUT it's only half what my Harley Davidson motorcycle cost and about 1/3 the cost of a new car. I LOVE my new rig and I get emence pleasure from flying FS2004 on it. This is roughly what my new rig consists of.* Jetline Inc. computer with a duel CPU, factory overclocked to 4.02 GHz, * 3 seperate 512 MB GeForce 9800 GTX video cards(a seperate card for each monitor)* 4 GB Corsair Dominator SDRAM @ 1066 MHz* 3 - 26 inch ViewSonic Monitors ( VP 2650 wb)* a 300GB and 500 GB 10,000 RPM harddrives* Saitek Pro yoke, Pro rudder pedals and Pro Flight Switch Panel* Go Flight "corporate" floor standing Flight ModualI have been flying Flight Sims since 1998 and this is the 6th compuer that I have "upgraded" to. I have all of the special extra add-ons that everyone has on my last computer BEFORE this last rig, with one 22 inch ViewSonic monitor. It was made by ABS and has a single core 2.66 CPU. I have only flown it once in the last 6 months since I have my new 3- monitor system. After flying with 3 monitors, you can never go back to flying with just one !!!!! I only fly FS2004 on this new rig, with 1-2 engine aircraft and I fight myself to keep it , SIMPLE, SIMPLE SIMPLE ! It is all default Fs2004 with the exception of I added some AI aircraft, some Mesh scenery and GE Pro scenery enhancer. The FPS are locked at 40 and flying the B-200 King Air ( my aircraft of choice, now) it stays at about 30-33 FPS. I do NOT even own a copy of FSX ! jerrycwo4

Alex, I'd like to give a SPECIAL thanks to you for all of the help, ideas and modivation to get into the 3 monitor Flight Sim Mode. My latest and almost last problem was the flashing -flickering view on my RIGHT hand monitor. I had found, by "trail and error" that the 3 differant views on the 3 monitors could nor should NOT overlap, or better yet, NOT EVEN TOUCH each other. I did NOT know or discover that also the LEFT and RIGHT views should not overlap or touch the BOTTOM of the monitors either. I moved the RIGHT and LEFT views about 1/8 inch AWAY from the CENTER monitor and also moved both of those views about 1/8 inch UP from the BOTTOM of the monitors. This seemed to be the "magic" position as I have now completed two differant flights of over two hours each with 100% SUCESSES !!! NO FLASHING; NO FLICKERING :( That 1/8 inch of "empty space" from the bottom insides of the RIGHT and LEFT hand monitors seemed to do the trick. Thanks again for this and the other help in the past year for me getting "fired" up enough to spend about $10,000 for my new rig ( I know that's a lot BUT it's only half what my Harley Davidson motorcycle cost and about 1/3 the cost of a new car. I LOVE my new rig and I get emence pleasure from flying FS2004 on it. This is roughly what my new rig consists of.* Jetline Inc. computer with a duel CPU, factory overclocked to 4.02 GHz, * 3 seperate 512 MB GeForce 9800 GTX video cards(a seperate card for each monitor)* 4 GB Corsair Dominator SDRAM @ 1066 MHz* 3 - 26 inch ViewSonic Monitors ( VP 2650 wb)* a 300GB and 500 GB 10,000 RPM harddrives* Saitek Pro yoke, Pro rudder pedals and Pro Flight Switch Panel* Go Flight "corporate" floor standing Flight ModualI have been flying Flight Sims since 1998 and this is the 6th compuer that I have "upgraded" to. I have all of the special extra add-ons that everyone has on my last computer BEFORE this last rig, with one 22 inch ViewSonic monitor. It was made by ABS and has a single core 2.66 CPU. I have only flown it once in the last 6 months since I have my new 3- monitor system. After flying with 3 monitors, you can never go back to flying with just one !!!!! I only fly FS2004 on this new rig, with 1-2 engine aircraft and I fight myself to keep it , SIMPLE, SIMPLE SIMPLE ! It is all default Fs2004 with the exception of I added some AI aircraft, some Mesh scenery and GE Pro scenery enhancer. The FPS are locked at 40 and flying the B-200 King Air ( my aircraft of choice, now) it stays at about 30-33 FPS. I do NOT even own a copy of FSX ! jerrycwo4
---------------------Jerry- thanks for your kind words. Now there are 2 of us to convince the other 99% of simmers as to the advantages of multi monitors!!! As I've said before- once youv'e flown with a 45-50",145

---------------------(If raising the bottom of the outside views causes any misalignment of the three horizons, there is a simple 60 second cure in Panel Config. I've also discovered a ridiculously simple method to establish the amount of bezel adjustment/view shift for synching- gives an answer to 1/100 of a degree!)Alex Reid
Alex, when you have to time could you somehow pass the above info to me? Either post it here or send me an email. ( galfred@comcast.net). I'm pretty sure that if a person does NOT have a 3 monitor rig they would not be interested in seeing this info. Thanks jerrycwo4PS I just took a tape measure and measured my 3: 26" monitors as they are set up. They extend for a full 67 inches in front of me ( in a straight line from end to end) and cover my FULL perifial vision.

Alex, when you have to time could you somehow pass the above info to me? Either post it here or send me an email. ( galfred@comcast.net). I'm pretty sure that if a person does NOT have a 3 monitor rig they would not be interested in seeing this info. Thanks jerrycwo4PS I just took a tape measure and measured my 3: 26" monitors as they are set up. They extend for a full 67 inches in front of me ( in a straight line from end to end) and cover my FULL perifial vision.
------------------Jerry- In Panel Config, in the line: VIEW_FORWARD_LEFT(right)_DIR=X,Y,ZX= height of that view. If you reduce that value just a little, you can then align the horizons and still have some space at the bottom. ( to conserve FPS I set my outer views at about 1/2 height only- then fill in below with popups). You will have to experiment a bit to suit your setup.Z, of course, is the magic number to adjust the outer view angles to compensate for the bezel widths. To calulate Z accurately: Measure the width of the view on the main monitor. Then measure the precise distance separating main view from the outer view. Try to get these to about 1 mm of accuracy.(if you use inches, 1/8" = 0.125" in the calc below.)Since the main view is 45

Alex, thanks for that info. I'll have to play around with it a bit to see what it does. Just from reading it, it seems to be a bit complex. Here's a differant "twist" of a view "problem." On my left and right monitors I have only wing views and the scenery looking straight out of both my left and right windows with the correct angle of view for the engines. When I look at the right monitor the right engine is pointing straight to the LEFT anf the left monitor shows the left engine pointing straight to the right. In other words, as you look straight out of the right window, the right engine is in a 90* angle to my line of sight, just like in real life.The question is, in these left and right views the "wing view" of the aircraft and the scenery are "glued" togather. If you rotate this view with your hatswitch the complete view is rotated the same amount. Is ther anyway to seperate these two parts of these "wing views" ? ( part one is the aircraft wing and engine; part two is the scenery behind the wing and engine) ? Is there anyway that you know of to do this ? jerrycwo4

Alex, thanks for that info. I'll have to play around with it a bit to see what it does. Just from reading it, it seems to be a bit complex. Here's a differant "twist" of a view "problem." On my left and right monitors I have only wing views and the scenery looking straight out of both my left and right windows with the correct angle of view for the engines. When I look at the right monitor the right engine is pointing straight to the LEFT anf the left monitor shows the left engine pointing straight to the right. In other words, as you look straight out of the right window, the right engine is in a 90* angle to my line of sight, just like in real life.The question is, in these left and right views the "wing view" of the aircraft and the scenery are "glued" togather. If you rotate this view with your hatswitch the complete view is rotated the same amount. Is ther anyway to seperate these two parts of these "wing views" ? ( part one is the aircraft wing and engine; part two is the scenery behind the wing and engine) ? Is there anyway that you know of to do this ? jerrycwo4
----------------------------Jerry- adjusting for bezel width only seems complex. Once you've worked it thru, no sweat. And the bezel setting is same for all planes.------------It is possible to manipulate objects in a secondary view. I used the following to reposition the engine nacelles in the DreamFleet Baron 58 so that they aim straight ahead- even tho' the monitors are angled 40

Again, Thanks for the info Alex. This seems to be just what I was looking for. I'm also a photographer and I am "pretty" good in Photo Shop. I tried to rotate one of the wing views there but it didn't wook out. Info like you just gave me is learned only after years of playing aroung with the Flight Sims. Yes, I will take a shot of my new rig and post it here for you and anyone else who would be interested in "building" a rig like my new one. Thanks, jerrycwo4