Sign in to follow this  
Guest ShaneRay

Black Screen/corrupted textures

Guest ShaneRay
Not to be the bearer of doom and gloom but I have uninstalled Enhancer and flown long enough to have experienced the problem again without Enhancer. Also a search through the great wide web has indicated that this phenomenon is not specific to FSX. I have read many a post from other gamer’s experiencing a similar issue. I am more inclined to think that it is a Nividia issue as I do not see many claiming to have this problem on ATI. Anyway best of luck.
Don't doubt you at all, Gary :( I did see a noticable improvment in overall sim performance after getting rid of nhancer, as well as getting "further" without the black screens. So, It's probably the Nvidia Driver, the way nhancer talks to the driver, and who knows what else (for my system anyway).So, I just completed the exact flight, and the problems happened at the exact same time--right after touch down and during taxi to the gates.One more flight to try decreasing the radius slider a bit, then that's it. I'll just need to stay outta the menus if at all possible. And, I'm half thinking about just purchasing the fs9 version and be done with it.It's a shame, this frustration is ruining what is otherwise an awesome experience. what can ya do :( Off to try another (I'm stubborn).Shane Raynard.

This happens to me a lot aswell if I go into the menu tab for anything when I come back the panel is greyed out or the plane textures disappear, however!!!!! I noticed that if I enter the menu when the 2D cockpit is active I have no problems at all. So if I have to do something I always switch my view from the 3d cockpit to the 2d cockpit.

I have an ATI card and I have the same problem.:( It only happens with the PMDG as I can fly the 767 with out a problem.Jackie P
Well that shot the heck out of that therory.I Always fly online using FSINN. I have a button setup that opens the chat window in FSINN. I often get the blackout while opening and closing the chat window. Often if I wait a bit and repeatedly open and close the chat window, I can recover from the blackout.This black monitor issue started for me rather suddenly. I was never sure if it was a Nivida driver update or some other MS update/Directx, Hotfix or some other. It was like it was never there at all and all of a sudden one day there she was. Really frustrating after setting up for a flight and bang she blacks out or on a 3-mile final and she turns to black.

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

Yea I know it is very frustrating. Its a hit and miss I guess :(Jackie P

Guest mikpen14

I also get the black screen of death every once in a while in FSX.I've never used nHancer.Tried a complete reinstall, FSX aswell.Going to try going to the 2D Panel first now.

Guest ShaneRay

I was still doing some more testing today.there was only one flight I was able to complete with out problems: I turned down the radius slider and the global texture. I also decreased AF a little. I probably should have done one at time. We'll see. (Staying in the 2d only did not help).Funny thing is, it always happens right after landing. I'm wondering if something in the airport animiations is just pushing it over the edge. Anyway, I'm going to leave it alone for a couple of days and just get back to flying. One can only tinker and tweak so much!Shane.

Guest ShaneRay

I haven't searched for the answer to this yet, but...Any problems like this for the FS9 version under Vista 64?If I can't get it so I can complete a flight 99.99% of the time, I'll get the fS9 version.Thanks!Shane

Guest ShaneRay

Well, I think I'm getting there :(I've completed two flights today (I've been on vaction by the way lol) with no problems.The first flight was the one I could guarantee I would have problems. The second was a longer flight from toronto to Calgary (in real time), that one was no problem either.These 3 things I think made the difference:1) No nHancer (I get better sim performace without it, anyway. This I was shocked at).2) Radius slider to Med.3) And FEX clouds to 256x256 (I don't know why I didn't do this before...I can't tell the difference from the larger resolutions at all unless I'm flying through the cloud).Those seemed to give me enough headroom.So, I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I think I got it. :(

I no longer think this is a specific PMDG issue as I can now generate a black-screen and/or a white-screen freeze or lock when switching from full screen mode using almost any aircraft. Nick and I have started a conversation regarding this topic over in the hardware forum here:http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtop...t&p=1576794I now seem to be able to generate the black-screen freeze at will by simply hitting the windows-key while in full screen mode. It drops FSX to a taskbar button while the Windows Start menu pops up. When I attempt to restore from the FSX taskbar button, all is usually lost, except audio.Last night I tried with different nHancer settings, with and without nHancer, with and without FPS_Limiter, all to no avail. My next guess is maybe remove the buffer-pools entry in my FSX.cfg later tonight and see if that makes a difference.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest UlfB
I now seem to be able to generate the black-screen freeze at will by simply hitting the windows-key while in full screen mode. It drops FSX to a taskbar button while the Windows Start menu pops up. When I attempt to restore from the FSX taskbar button, all is usually lost, except audio.
AL,This seems to be similar to the known application issue that nVIDIA describes in the driver release notes: Flight Simulator X

Hi Ulf,Yea, I saw that description in the past few release notes from nVidia. But, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't nVidia claim that this is a known 'application issue'? As if they're not gonna do a dang thing about it?I can usually alt-enter out of full screen mode to window mode without issue, but it always getting back to full-screen mode when the black or white screen freeze issue occurs.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest UlfB
Hi Ulf,Yea, I saw that description in the past few release notes from nVidia. But, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't nVidia claim that this is a known 'application issue'? As if they're not gonna do a dang thing about it?
Yes, that's what I wrote in my post.
I can usually alt-enter out of full screen mode to window mode without issue, but it always getting back to full-screen mode when the black or white screen freeze issue occurs.
I see. I can't reproduce this error. Do you still get this error if you take some factors out of the equation? How abot disabling all add ons, backup your fsx.cfg file and let FSX build a new one, decreasing all display settings to a minimum, removing OC of CPU/RAM and GPU, avoid running AS and other FSX add on programs?If you don't get the error, you could start enabling one "feature" at a time and nail down the possible cause.

Yes, that's what I wrote in my post.I see. I can't reproduce this error. Do you still get this error if you take some factors out of the equation? How abot disabling all add ons, backup your fsx.cfg file and let FSX build a new one, decreasing all display settings to a minimum, removing OC of CPU/RAM and GPU, avoid running AS and other FSX add on programs?If you don't get the error, you could start enabling one "feature" at a time and nail down the possible cause.
Oh sorry Ulf, I missunderstood your last sentence.Good idea about regenerating the fsx.cfg. When I recently switched from a 9800GTX 512MB card to the GTX285 1GB card, I made sure the new device was present in the fsx.cfg file but I did not let FSX generate a new one. Also tonight, I want to try removing the bufferpools statement and see if that makes a difference. Somehow I don't think it will though as I had these issues on the previous GPU without a bufferpools entry. All external addons are run on my winde-client which was off last night while easily generating the black and/or white screen freeze with the parked MD-11 at the default KSEA airport and then pressing the windows-key.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

I updated my Drives last night for my ATI 4870. I started my flight and during the replay is when I experienced this problem. I am going and try some older drivers to see if this would resolve the issue on myside. Jackie P