Sign in to follow this  
Chuck_B

Takeoff Problems Using VRInsight MCP Panel

I just bought one of these from FSPilot shop (it was 80 bucks cheaper than anywhere else on the web!) and I'm having a serious problem with taking off.This poster over at their support forum put it best in January, but no one has provided a detailed answer:< thanks phil987 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:37 pm > "Pressing on the speed/altitude/heading hold buttons default the autopilot/autothrottle speed/altitude/heading to the current speed/heading/altitude. E.g. before take off I set the auto throttle speed to 250 KIAS, just after take off I switch on autothrottle and press the speed hold switch, but the speed then defaults to the aircrafts current speed. I find this quite anoying and it isn't how the instruments in the aircraft actually function. This has also caused me to stall and crash a few times as I try frantically to change the speed hold value from just higher than take off speed to 250 and the value jumps all over the place due to me previously stated gripe." Does anyone know how to overcome this? I'm flying FS9, the default 747, the Overland 737s with FriendlyPanel, POSKYs 757-200s, and other rather simple A/C.Thanks for any help you can provide.

Do you press the rotary knob or the button below the SPD knob?Having the MCP myself and using it with the PMDG MD-11 and other planes I can't recall having the issue you describe.

Do you press the rotary knob or the button below the SPD knob?Having the MCP myself and using it with the PMDG MD-11 and other planes I can't recall having the issue you describe.
Kensei: Do you like this panel? I have pressed the buttons assigned in the diagram in the docs folder. Are you saying that with the PMDG you can set the speed and altitude levels in the LCD before take-off, execute your take-off and the press (which) button and your A/C climbs to the appropriate altitude and speed? That's what I want to do. When I press the rotary buttons, nothing happened, except an unexplained asterisk appears next to the values. The documentation is a disaster and very difficult to understand.I just got this Saturday and purposely kept my initial flying to the default A/C so that I wouldn't have to deal with any goofy issues like this right off the bat. I guess the jokes on me, eh?

Chuck try the profile that says its for the FSX version of the 737 only, it still works ok in FS9 and it has a couple of other keys assigned to it too. Press the CWSA and B buttons and it will open a couple of panels for you. Oh yes and you asked me the other day if the Yaw Damper was assigned to a button, yes it is its the right hand TOGA button when using the 737 profile :( The default profiles are not the best settings files I have seen by any means but they are supposed to interact with every default aircraft, so they are a bit of a compromise one shoe fits all kind of thing. I think they are supposed to be used as a base for the user to customise for their own use/aircraft. Eventually I will make some custom profiles available via the VRi forums that should hopefully work more the way you would expect them to. It's a big task though as there a 100's of aircraft out there and we have two excellent simulators to provide files for so in a lot of cases that doubles the amount of work required. Hopefully the community will come together and help provide custom profiles.I also don't have very many payware tube liners and practically no freeware ones as I'm very selective of the ones I choose to fly. The Level-D 767 and the PMDG MD-11's both FS9 and X take up most of my heavy time. The Level-D's works perfectly with the MCP combo as it is fully 2-way interfaced because Level-D provide an excellent SDK and it is a real showcase for the MCP combo and the 767. I've provided files to make the MCP work with the MD-11/X in combination with FSUIPC (registered) and the files are available on the VRi forum.

Cheers, Andy.

Thanks, Andy. I'll try the FSX profile when I get home tonight. I think I asked you this before but Pete Dowson has that list of FS commands on his website. Each command has a 5 digit value assigned to it - here are a few I think would solve my problem.AP_PANEL_ALTITUDE_ON 66103AP_PANEL_CRUISE_SPEED_TOGGLE 66358AP_PANEL_SPEED_ON 66112AP_PANEL_SPEED_SET 66114- I don't know enough to understand what these values are or how to make the VRInsight MCP buttons invoke them. Can you (or anyone else) help?

Yeah I sent you a PM via the other forum we post on and I've explained that I'm going to work on making these default profiles work better than they do now. I'll work on them over the next few days, I'm not making any promises but I'm sure I can improve them.

Cheers, Andy.