Sign in to follow this  
Squishy

FSX crashes when viewing options in-game

Guest abulaafia
This might help: (on Win7)Mouse Properties | Pointers | Scheme (None)
nice idea, but no. tried that.

Guest MaxH

Same stuff here. Made a VATSIM flight tonight and didn't hit any menu items through the trip but as soon as I landed I tried opening a menu and FSX crashed. Sure is annoying as otherwise FSX has been much better on Windows 7 for me.

Guest abulaafia

Good to get another report in. Sign up at MS Technet (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproappcompat/thread/fb1808ff-92f0-478b-9826-f2ed6fbeae97?prof=required) or 7forums (http://www.sevenforums.com/), so they get more feedbackIt is annoying, isn't it. I can fly without problems, as long as I don't touch the menus. Incidentially, I find that after opening the sim and starting a new flight, it always crashes on the 18-20th menu access. Never before. :) It seems suspiciously like some stack overflow, but I haven't a clue where. And you are right, the improvement over Vista is simply amazing. I landed at KJFK yesterday with full AI and fluent 40 fps, absolutely amazing. Check the core loads during flight ... so much better load distribution and thread management than Vista ever had. I don't see any texture loading during flight, no popping, no stuttering. Just hope we figure out the uiautomationcore.dll issue soon :)

Hi,Well I finally gave up on Win 7 and reluctantly went back to XP64. Before I went, though, I tried using a PS2 mouse but sadly it didn't fix the CTD. So the same software and hardware works perfectly on XP64 but not on Win 7. Even if you don't touch the menu, and you want to use a serious sim like the PMDG MD-11 (which uses a lot of clicks on the VC) on Win 7 and you are one of the unlucky ones affected by this bug then you are screwed. :(

Hi,any news on this issue? I have the same problem. It is a pitty, Windows 7 and FSX match perfectly expect the problem with uiautomationcore.dll. What can I do, to report this bug directly to the microsoft staff?RegardsStefan

Guest piotr0r

Hi everyone,I think I have a solution for this. I had the same kind of problem when trying to launch Neverwinter Nights 2 on windows 7, which had a serious DLL issue preventing the game from even starting. So instead of letting NWN2 relying of the built-in Windows 7 version of this particular DLL, I just dropped its Windows Vista counterpart in the same folder as the executable, and it worked perfectly.This is what gave me the idea to try the same solution with FSX after I understood that the problem originated from FS X not coping very well with Win7. I dropped a Windows Vista version of UIAutomationCore.dll in the same folder as FS X, and I couldn't crash the sim by clicking the menus like mad, no matter how hard I tried. Then I removed it, and crashed the sim in a fatal error after 20 mouse clicks on the menus. I put the Vista-version DLL back, and no more crashes.I've made a flight test between TNCM and TFFF with the Hornet that comes bundled in FS Acceleration Pack, and it still didn't crash - once again, no matter how hard I try.So if you can get your hands on a vista-version of UIAutomationCore.dll, just drop it in your FSX folder, run a cmd.exe as an administrator and while in your FSX folder, run a regsvr32 UIAutomationCore.dll command to register the dll just to be sure, and test.It has worked for me so far. If it crashes again, I'll let you know, but I do hope I've found a quick-and-dirty-but-functional fix to this. I'll be glad to provide my configuration & system info if that helps, but I think this is what we need to eradicate those @#&! fatal errors.I wish you luck!Pierre J.

Thank you for your suggestion, Pierre. I've copied a vista-UIAutomationCore.dll in the FSX-Folder, ran regsvr32 UIAutomationCore.dll with success, but FSX still crashes after using the menu bar :-(ProblemsignaturProblemereignisame: APPCRASHAnwendungsname: fsx.exeAnwendungsversion: 10.0.61472.0Anwendungszeitstempel: 475e17d3Fehlermodulname: uiautomationcore.dllFehlermodulversion: 7.0.0.0Fehlermodulzeitstempel: 49eea6d9Ausnahmecode: c0000005Ausnahmeoffset: 0000ec58Betriebsystemversion: 6.1.7100.2.0.0.256.1Gebietsschema-ID: 1031RegardsStefan

Guest piotr0r

Bummer. I've posted the same reply on the technet boards, and this fix didn't work for someone running the build 7201 as well. This person pointed out that I did not install my FS X in the default folder, but in a c:\fsx folder instead. I don't know if this changes anything (I'm not a programmer), but I can assure you that my FS X running in Windows Seven IS using the Vista DLL :uiautomationcore.pngSo Stefan, I don't know why your FS X is refusing to use the Vista DLL you provided, but if you can somehow find a way to do it, I'm pretty sure it will do the trick. Unfortunately, apart from installing in a c:\fsx folder ... I have no clue.For information's sake : system info: Intel Core i7 920 (overclocked to 3,54 GHz, rock stable, never ever crashes), 6 GB DDR3 1600 RAM, Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard with HT enabled but with energy saving features off, nvidia geforce 260+ graphics card with 186.16 Windows 7 drivers, Windows 7 build 7137, FS X + Acceleration Pack and REX installed, nHancer tweaks, runs super smooth, Preview Direct X 10 mode is ENABLED (water shaders are w00t). DEP is disabled, UAC is on, FS X running as administrator, default folder ownership.My FS X version is the 10.0.61637.0 English language , and my uiautomationcore.dll is version 6.0.6001.1800 English language as well.This is all the more frustrating that I've played the sim a few hours today, and flew across the pacific ocean ... and no more crashes, I swear.Edit: I'll point out that since the default folder located in program files requires special permissions and programs running as administator, I would not be surprised that this hack doesn't work precisely because of this. Installing in a c:\fsx no longer requires special privileges.I installed it there just to conveniently edit my .CFG files without having to run the notepad as administrator when creating my liveries for my airplanes.

Perhaps it's a good idea to replace the W7 uiautomationcore.dll stored under sytem32 with the Vista uiautomationcore.dll? I've installed a lot of add-ons, therefore I'm not realy happy to delete everything and install the FSX into another folder. But if this could be the solution, I'll try it.I've installed Windows 7 64bit Build 7100.

After rebooting my system, FSX still crashes when using the menus at about 20 times. But this is new: Nothing about the UIAutomationCore.dll rather an unknown error. I think it's time to go back to Vista :( Datum‎01.‎07.‎2009 20:25StatusReport sentBeschreibungPfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exeProblemsignaturProblemereignisame: BEXAnwendungsname: fsx.exeAnwendungsversion: 10.0.61472.0Anwendungszeitstempel: 475e17d3Fehlermodulname: unknownFehlermodulversion: 0.0.0.0Fehlermodulzeitstempel: 00000000Ausnahmeoffset: 196703f0Ausnahmecode: c0000005Ausnahmedaten: 00000008Betriebsystemversion: 6.1.7100.2.0.0.256.1Gebietsschema-ID: 1031Weitere Informationen

Guest piotr0r

Well ... as a last ditched effort before reverting to vista, you should try installing FSX in a C:\FSX folder, just to be sure. If not your fully upgraded and add-on laden version, at least maybe another copy with a few addons and whatnot, just to make a few tests. I think you will waste less time.A few things I want to add, regarding the file sizes : the dll is 152,064 bytes in size. In my Windows folder, I have two different UIAutomationCore.dll , one is located in c:\windows\system32 which is 752,640 bytes in size, and another one in the SYSWOW64 folder which is 563,712 bytes in size. There's definitely something going on here, because since HiJackThis confirms me that my FSX.exe is using the right dll, which is much smaller, so, I guess very different, than those bundled with Windows Seven.If I were you, I would not be discouraged yet :)Edit : after a bit of trial and error made by some people on the technet board, they eventually had the fix to work :- by installing FS in another directory- by using a 32 bit DLL - since FSX is a 32 bit executable, it can only load 32 bit DLL. On a 64 bit Windows it does not pose any significant problems.Here is a link to the topic on the Technet Boards - not crossposting, just increasing the chances of success :(

That sounds very promising. I'll try it and I'll post my success story with W7 and FSX here. But I'm a little bit busy and it will take some time.Thank you for your efforts, Pierre