Sign in to follow this  
Toys_R_Us

Major 3D Breakthrough - Maybe MS Bailed To Quickly

There has been a major breakthrough in the use of 3D that is bound to change the world of gaming. A researcher by the name of Johnny Lee invented this, and has essentially given it to the world. His software was downloaded over a half a million times in the first three months after he released it (due to it's exposure on YouTube). Since about Feruary of 2008 it has now developed into a major industry where the components can all be bought for next to nothing. It sounds to good to be true, but it isn't. A flight simulator done with this support would blow Microsoft's product right out of the water. They surely had to have known about this development, and I wonder if it had an effect on their decision to bail.After you see this, you will know for certain that the world of gaming is going to change...... Big Time !!!!!This is a mini-Susan Boyle in the amount of YouTube website hits for all of his videos. Listen for the laugh he gets in the second video, when he alludes to the powerful magnitude of change from this developement in a talk before a group of game developers..... :( For about 50 bucks, the objects jump right off the screen and out into your room. Amazing !!!! And then you can move past them, putting them behind you. Stay with this. This is definately not another Tracker IR. See:

Buy all the parts for $55.00 .....http://penteractive.us/?gclid=CJCgnfaglJoCFRFMagodxxfVMQBob (Las Cruces, NM)

i can see great potential for something like this in a flight sim application, the part where objects can appear to go past you in a forward motion can be useful. if this does take off to the mainstream and FS, the $55 in parts you need will retail for $199.99 when someone starts to mass produce this unfortunately. but i dont see any of that happening too quickly

For about 50 bucks, the objects jump right off the screen and out into your room. Amazing !!!! And then you can move past them, putting them behind you. Stay with this. This is definately not another Tracker IR.
Perhaps I'm missing something, but why is this not just another TrackIR? Yes it's a good demo but I don't see it doing anything a TrackIR couldn't do (although if your figure of 50 bucks is accurate it's definitely cheaper).Colin

Perhaps I'm missing something, but why is this not just another TrackIR? Yes it's a good demo but I don't see it doing anything a TrackIR couldn't do (although if your figure of 50 bucks is accurate it's definitely cheaper).Colin
True this is actually TrackIR technology...If you mount the head set of a TrackIR(6dof) on your video camera you'll get the same peculiar effect seen in the video.Pretty cool!

While I may be wrong, I don't recall Tracker IR adding any real 3-D illusion to games as seen in these videos. As I recall it works with the pseudo 3-D (so named) of a 3-D video card.I would imagine any real application creating a real 3-D effect would call for a complete redo of the game. But the potential is quite startling. Will we see this in a flight simulator ? Who knows. But it certainly puts a big dollar potential out there for somebody.Bob (Las Cruces, NM)

There has been a major breakthrough in the use of 3D that is bound to change the world of gaming. A researcher by the name of Johnny Lee invented this, and has essentially given it to the world. His software was downloaded over a half a million times in the first three months after he released it (due to it's exposure on YouTube). Since about Feruary of 2008 it has now developed into a major industry where the components can all be bought for next to nothing. It sounds to good to be true, but it isn't. A flight simulator done with this support would blow Microsoft's product right out of the water. They surely had to have known about this development, and I wonder if it had an effect on their decision to bail.After you see this, you will know for certain that the world of gaming is going to change...... Big Time !!!!!This is a mini-Susan Boyle in the amount of YouTube website hits for all of his videos. Listen for the laugh he gets in the second video, when he alludes to the powerful magnitude of change from this developement in a talk before a group of game developers..... :( For about 50 bucks, the objects jump right off the screen and out into your room. Amazing !!!! And then you can move past them, putting them behind you. Stay with this. This is definately not another Tracker IR. See:
Buy all the parts for $55.00 .....http://penteractive.us/?gclid=CJCgnfaglJoCFRFMagodxxfVMQBob (Las Cruces, NM)
That's the first time I've ever seen a cool 3-d effect without 3-d glasses--it actually seemed like the one set of objects was floating in front of the screen. I've heard of other applications for the Wii remote and sensor bar, but this is certainly unique. Regards,John

People, the 3D effect WAS because of the video camera in combination of the demo rendering, this thing does NOT add 3D effects to any games. The only reason why it seems 3D is becuase he used targets with lines in a grid to show the effect. If he used the technology in FSX, it would be like TRACKIR, nothing more nothing less. This definitely could have been performed on TrackIR and you would get the same effect, with the same demo rendering. It is still the SAME technology in TrackIR, maybe just a bit cheaper. TrackIR uses a camera that sends infrared beams which is then reflected by those 3 bars placed on the hat. It does all 6DOF motions demonstrated in the video. TrackIR does the whole X, Y, and Z axis. Again IF he used trackIR with the rendering software you would get the SAME results. Some people might have to study a bit on technology or how TrackIR works before they get it. (No offense, you literally have to read about how trackIR works to understand. Google is your friend ;)) The rendering program that he used to DISPLAY how the wiimote works, is the reason why it seems 3D. It is not the Wii mote or the sensor bar. In other words, it is the software and the video camera exaggerates it even more. If he released the program that he used to demonstrate the scene to the public, all the people with TrackIR would be able to do the SAME exact thing.

While I may be wrong, I don't recall Tracker IR adding any real 3-D illusion to games as seen in these videos. As I recall it works with the pseudo 3-D (so named) of a 3-D video card.I would imagine any real application creating a real 3-D effect would call for a complete redo of the game. But the potential is quite startling. Will we see this in a flight simulator ? Who knows. But it certainly puts a big dollar potential out there for somebody.Bob (Las Cruces, NM)
The 3D effect was the rendering of the scene :(, not the hardware (wiimote, "sensor bar"). They did not add any "3D" effect that trackIR can't do, it just sends signals to a senor, than the sensor converts that into code for the PC, which is then converted into mouse movements or "hat switch"/6DOF movements. Sorry to burst your bubble. TrackIR does not use any 3D graphics card, just basically the same thing the wiimote does, but in a better way. It uses an infrared camera, a bar with 3 reflectors that was specifically made to be placed on the head, and software to convert the movements from real life to mouse/hat switch, etc. Nothing other than that. If it had a 3D video card, or pseudo, whatever you like to call it, it would be incredibly expensive, and there would be no point of using it. He used targets in a square box to make users see what is possible with 6DOF solutions and what the can do for a game, but if he were to use the wiimote, or TrackIR in FSX. You would not get the 3D effect, because unlike a target on screen that looks like it is on a horizontal pole, things in a cockpit of a plane do not pop out, or they just don't have enough depth to make it look like its coming out of the screen.

Gman....I must admit that I too am skeptical. I don't see the connection to 3-D either. But he makes a point in all of his videos that a 3-D effect exists and that the screen no longer appears "flat" in real life when no camera is used.Then to your camera point. That camera passes an object in space and gets behind it where the object is completely out of view. As Andy Griffith has always insisted upon as his key to succeed in movies and I quote, "You can't fool a camera, it sees everything". Also, he shows the image from the same camera before switching on the sensor, and it's completely flat.As a doubter myself I have searched Google and so far have not found anyone to support your point of view on this subject.But I do remain a doubter myself.The only possible explanation I can muster, is that the image itself is software calculated based on the known head position which it gets from the sensor. That's why I think a game would have to be specially "coded" for use with this device. That could present real drawbacks and limitations. But it might be a very clever break through too.Bob (Las Cruces, NM)

Guest UlfB

Gman is right!I'm using TrackIR and it gives me the perfect 3D simulation in VC. If I change the settings in TrackIR to very aggressive, I may lean forward and go past the yoke and have my nose inches from the panel. I may also stick my head out of the side window. No problem.

Gman is right!I'm using TrackIR and it gives me the perfect 3D simulation in VC. If I change the settings in TrackIR to very aggressive, I may lean forward and go past the yoke and have my nose inches from the panel. I may also stick my head out of the side window. No problem.
Sure, in TrackIR it is called 6DOF (with Truvision technology, if my memory serves me righ). You can even poke out from the cockpit's window and look what's behind. Just try it in BoB2, it's amazing. So, old news all together. Flock to Natualpoint's store may I suggest to those who haven't bought it yet.I'm only concerned there's no adequate competition in the market currently. Otherwise it's a musthave for any gamer nowadays.Thanks,Dirk.

Guest UlfB
There is competition: http://www.simw.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=d...ls&pid=2084Sorry for the hijack.
Tord,It seems that Hat Track works in a different way compared to TrackIR. You attach the transmitter to a headset and the receiver is placed on the monitor. Is the transmitter cordless (powered by a battery)? I couldn't find any info on this in the manual.