Sign in to follow this  
Guest matabhaine

gmax export

Guest matabhaine

i have created photo scenery using sbuilder, used autogen annotator to place trees etc, i have built a objects houses castles etc for inclusion with fsx, i am using gmax, thought it was the way to go, but now with deluxe sdk it seems i cannot export to fsx, i have read and read, just want someone to confirm wether or not i can export a textured object to fsx. thanx

You have to download and install the sp's for the SDK. that includes the gamepak for exporting from GMax, FSX materials manager, and xtomdl. Go to fsdeveloper.com for tutorials and forums on GMax.scott s..

Guest matabhaine

i already looked at this sdk tools for 2004 not fsx, i have sp1 installed and the sdk which according to everything i have read is for earlier msfs 2004, this is why i asked if i was using the wrong program and not what programs i should be using, tried running the max scripts no script there, not even sure how to use the xtomdl in conjunction with gmax, from what i have read, it doesnt work with gmax and the tool hasnt been written yet which is why i am confused, wouldnt i be better using 3dsmax

Before exporting the scene from gMax, you must first assign it a GUID. Go to the FS Tools menu and choose the LOD Name Tool:If for any reason you do not have an FS Tools menu, then go to the Max Scripts menu and run this script: FSToolsMenu.ms Although it should load automatically since it is indicated in the ini file.In the LOD Name Tool, choose to Create a New GUID:Then, it is very important that you know that GUID and the only place to see it is in the File Properties window (in the File menu):Note the GUID some place; you will need it to create an object library bgl.Once you have this information, you can proceed to export the scene as a mesh. Make sure that you are exporting as a MDL and not as CLD (cloud, the first in the list). You will get the export options window:Make your choices here; I am not sure that everything works though. For example, I have never gotten it to copy textures. But don't worry about it.Once you have the MDL file, make an object library with it, and you can place the object using any object placement tool or just make your own xml placement file.Best regards.Luis

Guest matabhaine

appreciate your time but i tried all this b4, my problem is does gmax export to fsx, the script isnt there or auto loaded, no fs tools menu, search for the script in the sdk folder but it wont load into gmax i get the following, --unknown property:'getPluginPath' in undefined. Hope there is only one instance of the above script. there is no LODandNameTool.ms. no scripts at all. fsx sdk houses the fstools menu but gmax is empty

Guest matabhaine

ok been reading abit more, i do not have the fsx gamepack installed, i have deluxe sdk, sp1 and sp2 and gmax 1.2. tried setting paths but errors prevailed, read alot of posts but nothing has helped, any ideas as to what might be wrong, i saw a sp1a but not sure if this is relevant

Guest matabhaine

right dl sp1a again and installed, it removed previous install and now i have the gamepacks, not sure what order sp1 sp1a sp2 etc, or if installing sp2 will bring me back to where i was b4. will now try Luis' kind offering. thanx

Guest matabhaine

i have fs tools showing up now, but i have MAXScript auto-load script error -c:\\gmax\scripts\startup\bootstrap.ms exception --No""-"" function for undefined should i worry about this or ignore it?

Guest matabhaine

well, didnt work, first of tells me model not specified in metres, then it contains some faces with textures and some not, i take it it means textures inside the model are bare, then error, exporter host is not valid, failed to export, export module fail, not so good.