Sign in to follow this  
rightseater

Carenado 172 viewpoint

I've tried to get some help on this issue in the past, but not being particularly gifted at articulating my posts has been a setback. I will try again with some screenshots this time.I'm trying to get the default viewpoints in my aircraft setup as close to how they would be for me in real life. Most aircraft have been fairly easy to modify so long as I zoom out far enough and adjust the [views] section of the aircraft.cfg file properly. But the Carenado 172 is not cooperating with me.When I load the 172 I am presented with the following view:This is fine for having a nice view of the panel, but in real life I can see most of the nose section all the way up to the windscreen. The red line I made on the nose of this 172 is about as far back as I can see in the real aircraft with the seat set to my liking.If I adjust the viewpoint I can see the nose fairly close to what I see in real life, but then my view outside the door windows becomes unrealistically high, so much so that I must lower my viewpoint considerably to see the wingtips.However, if I go to the "right seat" viewpoint and move my view forward, I can get a decent view of the nose and still have an acceptable view out both windows.So my question is....how can I create a viewpoint similiar to what I get in the "right seat" view, but for the "virtual cockpit" view? I've tried adjusting the [views] section as aforementioned, but those modifications alone are not enough. Can I somehow modify the virtual cockpit view to resemble the right seat view and then adjust the eyepoint forward to bring the nose into sight? As an alternative, has anybody else modified there view and might be willing to share what numbers they used and where? Thanks.

I've tried to get some help on this issue in the past, but not being particularly gifted at articulating my posts has been a setback. I will try again with some screenshots this time.I'm trying to get the default viewpoints in my aircraft setup as close to how they would be for me in real life. Most aircraft have been fairly easy to modify so long as I zoom out far enough and adjust the [views] section of the aircraft.cfg file properly. But the Carenado 172 is not cooperating with me.However, if I go to the "right seat" viewpoint and move my view forward, I can get a decent view of the nose and still have an acceptable view out both windows.So my question is....how can I create a viewpoint similiar to what I get in the "right seat" view, but for the "virtual cockpit" view? I've tried adjusting the [views] section as aforementioned, but those modifications alone are not enough. Can I somehow modify the virtual cockpit view to resemble the right seat view and then adjust the eyepoint forward to bring the nose into sight? As an alternative, has anybody else modified there view and might be willing to share what numbers they used and where? Thanks.
I'm not sure what you can do in the right seat that you cannot in the left seat..I've tried adjusting the views in the default 172, the F1 172 and the Carenado 172, and they all behave the same way.If I raise my seat to see the nose, I can no longer see out the side widow, except at a downward angle.Right seat same as left seat.If you find something you really like in the right seat.. try moving left, using shift-ctrl-backspace (and enter).The exact same effect should be possible either side.Try inserting this into a saved flight definition, keeping your own Guid definition and see if you like th effect[Camera.1.2]Guid={C95EAB58-9E4A-4E2A-A34C-D8D9D948F078}Zoom=1Translation=0.0053773857653141022, 0.096569925546646118, -0.2246435284614563Rotation=13.477315902709961, 1.4080953598022461, 0Then the usual drill: save the flight, extract the coordinates from the saved camera position and convert it to the VC coordinatesin the aircraft.cfg file.As a test, try inserting this into your saved flight file, keeping your own Guid definition and see if you like the effect[Camera.1.2]Guid={........................................}Zoom=1Translation=0.0053773857653141022, 0.096569925546646118, -0.2246435284614563Rotation=13.477315902709961, 1.4080953598022461, 0 :(

Bert

Thanks Bert, I'll work on this tonight and see what I come up with. As someone who owns nearly every GA aircraft for FSX, I'm perplexed as to why the default viewpoints are so often distant from reality. With the excellent modeling of this 172, I don't understand why I can't be able to see nose and wingtips, like in real life. I'm assuming this is more the fault of FSX than the modellers.*EDIT* I have been playing with the camera definitions and found that adding a new definition and adjusting the viewpoint from there yields much better results than adjusting just the eyepoint. I've got the nose in view a couple of feet back from the spinner at a .60 zoom. Now I need to find a sweetspot that lets me see out the side windows a bit better.

Guest UlfB

TrackIR solves a lot of these problems with flying in VC.

TrackIR solves a lot of these problems with flying in VC.
That is absolutely true. Nothing has been more beneficial for my sim experience than TrackIR. Unfortunately, I'm having to do without TrackIR right now as mine was stolen when my house got robbed and I just haven't gotten around to getting another yet. CompUSA is carrying it in Jacksonville now, maybe I'll make a run up there later today.

Guest UlfB

Jeremy,I see. If my home was looted, I guess that the missing TrackIR unit would also be the smallest problem. I hope that you get all things sorted out and your feelings back to normal real soon!

I'm trying to get the default viewpoints in my aircraft setup as close to how they would be for me in real life. Most aircraft have been fairly easy to modify so long as I zoom out far enough and adjust the [views] section of the aircraft.cfg file properly. But the Carenado 172 is not cooperating with me.So my question is....how can I create a viewpoint similiar to what I get in the "right seat" view, but for the "virtual cockpit" view? I've tried adjusting the [views] section as aforementioned, but those modifications alone are not enough. Can I somehow modify the virtual cockpit view to resemble the right seat view and then adjust the eyepoint forward to bring the nose into sight? As an alternative, has anybody else modified there view and might be willing to share what numbers they used and where? Thanks.
Try this eyepoint[Views]//eyepoint=-3.5,-0.85,1.55 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datumeyepoint=-4.237, -0.832, 1.867Best compromise I can find :(

Bert

That eyepoint looks okay. Maybe not as much nose as I would like, but better than default. The best compromise I found thus far was to modify the right seat camera definition as follows:[CameraDefinition.001]Title = "Left Seat"Guid = {195EAB58-9E4A-1E2A-A34C-A8D9D948F078}Origin = Virtual CockpitMomentumEffect = FalseSnapPbhAdjust = SwivelSnapPbhReturn = FalsePanPbhAdjust = SwivelPanPbhReturn = FalseTrack = NoneShowAxis = YESAllowZoom = TRUEInitialZoom = 0.5SmoothZoomTime = 2.0ZoomPanScalar = 5.0ShowWeather = YesXyzAdjust = TRUEShowLensFlare=FALSECategory = CockpitPitchPanRate=20HeadingPanRate=60InitialXyz=0.03, 0.1, -0.05InitialPbh=8, 0, 0This configuration MUST be used with the default eyepoint as that is what I used when modifying it.Now I just hit the "A" key to bring up the view titled "left seat" and I have a great view of the nose, so-so view out both windows (still adjusting that), and a decent pan rate.

I don't think there's anything one can do except Track IRI also found this REALLLLLY annoying...It's like the model isn't sized correctly, and I've seen it on almost all the payware skyhawks plus the MS default one....

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I don't think there's anything one can do except Track IRI also found this REALLLLLY annoying...It's like the model isn't sized correctly, and I've seen it on almost all the payware skyhawks plus the MS default one....
I've noticed this on nearly all high-wing GA aircraft in FSX with only a few rare exceptions. The low-wing models don't suffer from this ailment quite as bad, but often times adjusting the viewpoint to see the nose properly places the view entirely too high. The only cure for this I have seen thus far is to zoom out to .30 or .40 (which I don't care for) and move the default view forward and slightly up. It's become a compromise for me. The only high-wing aircraft that I have been able to configure perfectly (for me anyway) is the Carenado 152. I have the exact same problem in FS9 and X-Plane. I have discovered, however, that for some reason the viewpoints can be positioned much more accurately by using camera definitions. I'll be working on this more tonight.

I've noticed this on nearly all high-wing GA aircraft in FSX with only a few rare exceptions. The low-wing models don't suffer from this ailment quite as bad, but often times adjusting the viewpoint to see the nose properly places the view entirely too high. The only cure for this I have seen thus far is to zoom out to .30 or .40 (which I don't care for) and move the default view forward and slightly up. It's become a compromise for me. The only high-wing aircraft that I have been able to configure perfectly (for me anyway) is the Carenado 152. I have the exact same problem in FS9 and X-Plane. I have discovered, however, that for some reason the viewpoints can be positioned much more accurately by using camera definitions. I'll be working on this more tonight.
If the nose is a separate element could it be raised?

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

It's like the model isn't sized correctly, and I've seen it on almost all the payware skyhawks plus the MS default one....
My guess is that the models are sized according to the real thing.. but that it feels different, sittingin the real cockpit, compared to looking via camera angles, as we do in FSX.In the real world, we move our head and and our body all the time. Just think of how frustrating it can be to get good views from your car seat, when you have hurt your back or your neck and have difficulty twisting your body to look rightor left.Looking through a camera will simply not get you the field of view, unless you start working with multiple screens.

Bert