Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Making gradients

Is it possible to make a hillside in FS9, instead of the usual sheer rock faces that are produced using flatten files? For instance, here I'd like the cliff faces in the foreground to be slopes, as in the far background, not rock walls. But if it is possible, I have no idea how to do it. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/martinlest/Coast-1.jpgThanks for any advice,Martin... the cliff on the sea is fine, it's the falttens further inland that I mean..

I guess there are two approaches that might work. One is to create a custom mesh file. I have done that where I had some source data. I edited the mesh as a 256 grey scale. That works if you set your scale to 1 m and the elevation difference is <256 (often it is). I think there used to be a little utility called grieses 50 or something like that that you could use to properly set the offset and scale for feeding your data into resample.alternatively would be to create sloped flattens. You would need some sample point elevations, and then triangulate the data like tesselating a surface in GMax.scott s..

I'll have a look further along the lines you suggest Scott, but I think I am going to hit the limits of my knowledge before I achieve what I want. (I could, of course, always try to expand the limits of my knowledge!!).M.

FS9 "flatten" polys allow you to specify the altitude of each point. ( They should probably be called "slopes" ). SBuilder handles this nicely. No need for making false mesh.Dick

"FS9 "flatten" polys allow you to specify the altitude of each point."I use FSFlatten quite a bit but probably have never investigated half the things it can do - I don't think I've ever used that facility. I'll go back and have a look at it again. Thanks.