Sign in to follow this  
Guest luibert

disappearing textures - crash

Guest luibert

hey there!while i am still waiting for my confirmation to the francevFR board i thought i might ask around here first.i have this really weird "bug" that only seems to happen at guadeloupe tffr from franceVFR. it could be some kind of incompatibility with another texture add-on maybe...so. loading a flight at TFFR works. loads up correct. slewing around and at some point textures that where showing up perfectly just dissapear leaving white solid non-textured ai planes, buildings. when i turn around the view, more textures disappear, they do not disappear in the view, hard to explain. looking at a building. everything ok. turning around the view 360degrees. building lost its texture...

Guest FengZ

this sounds more like a video card problem. It's either over-heating, or don't have enough video memory to load all the textures. When FS9 is loaded, the game loads all the textures around the plane. Depending on the complexity of the scenery and plane, it'll try to keep much texture in memory as possible. When it can't (for example, you have a complex VC), it'll start dumping textures that you "can't see" from memory (such as textures behind the plane). This usually goes un-noticed for generic scenery, since the textures are repeated, and FS9 only needs to keep a few in memory.However, for FranceVFR, which is all photo-textures, each texture is unique, thus FS9 can't clone them in memory - it must load every single one. If your v-card is not powerful enough (or overheating), it'll start having a hard time swapping the textures in and out of memory; the result: white/gray models. When you hit the refresh key, it gives a direct command for FS9 to load the textures ASAP. If the v-card is already bottle-necked, it can't do a thing but to call it quits and crash. And the reason for the CPU load is simple. The v-card can't handle the processing, so it gives the task to the CPU to help out. When both are overloaded, you will get a crash. Thus, this is most likely not a problem with the product, but rather your video card.And FYI, if there are missing textures, FS9 will crash immediately to the desktop without warning; which is not the case here. However, i'm not 100% sure what happens with FS9 if .agn files are missing...-feng

Guest luibert

interesting stuff. i thought it might be something like that, eventhough i can definetely say my graphics adapter does not overheat. monitoring :D 512mb nvidia 9800gtx+.

If you having tweaked your fs9.cfg file yet, thats a good place to start. Search a few threads here about that.To start off, here is mine (the important stuff), I run a e8500 at 3.4, 8800GTS 512 G92, with 2 gig memory[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512.0]Mode=1440x900x32TriLinear=1[DISPLAY]RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.2RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.0RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1.0RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.5UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=35TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=100TextureMaxLoad=10[TERRAIN]TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=94.000000TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=20TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.500000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=9.500000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=5I've tried many many settings over the years and this seems to be the best one for me.

Guest luibert

so! after literally hours and days and hours and more days of fiddling around, removing files, moving files, installing deinstalling i think i found the source of the problem.

Guest luibert

SOLVED!sorry for spamming my own thread. but i am so happy. i apologize to franceVFR. the bug i was having this problems with has nothing to do with their product!