Sign in to follow this  
cavaricooper

747-400 First Flight Anniversary today!

Our fat girl flew for the first time today, in 1988. Since then, world travel just hasn't been the same- safety, comfort and reliability all took a giant step forward. I have loved her since the very first ime I saw her. Her size as she whispers down on short final, has to be seen up close to be comprehended. Her power, as she rotates at 397T, wings deeply flexed and Rollers grunting, has to be witnessed first hand before one can defy the belief that something so big simply could not fly!She has brought me much entertainment, education and enlightenment. Learning about how to operate her correctly has been a labor of love. The relationships I have forged with other afficianado's have been hugely important. In every respect she has become and always will be my very own fat girl- so, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!PMDG has many outstanding products, and many more to come- but for me, there will be only one aeroplane that I carry around with me (as if it were possible to tuck one deep in a vest pocket) and live vicarously through. I may have a job that I eke out a living at, but in reality, I am most at home on the way to VHHH or WSSS, in the 3D cockpit of G-CVIX.

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Guest activeforce
Our fat girl flew for the first time today, in 1988. Since then, world travel just hasn't been the same- safety, comfort and reliability all took a giant step forward. I have loved her since the very first ime I saw her. Her size as she whispers down on short final, has to be seen up close to be comprehended. Her power, as she rotates at 397T, wings deeply flexed and Rollers grunting, has to be witnessed first hand before one can defy the belief that something so big simply could not fly!She has brought me much entertainment, education and enlightenment. Learning about how to operate her correctly has been a labor of love. The relationships I have forged with other afficianado's have been hugely important. In every respect she has become and always will be my very own fat girl- so, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!PMDG has many outstanding products, and many more to come- but for me, there will be only one aeroplane that I carry around with me (as if it were possible to tuck one deep in a vest pocket) and live vicarously through. I may have a job that I eke out a living at, but in reality, I am most at home on the way to VHHH or WSSS, in the 3D cockpit of G-CVIX.
long life the 747, i should start flying it more...

long life the 747, i should start flying it more...
You see this is what the fashion industry is doing to people these days...she aint fat. If anything is, the A380 is.

Very,very nicely stated Carl,I like you have a passion for "The Jumbo" Thanks to PMDG for so faithfully creating a replica for FS that we can enjoy!!

I'm right there with you - she's just a beauty in the sky there's nothing that can even come close. I've always loved flying this plane, both in real life and in FS, and I always will. There's no two ways around it!!Paul

In total agreement here! For me its all about the 747! Having purchased the MD-11 im reminded how much i love the 747s cockpit (not to say the MD11 is ugly or anything, i just prefer the 747s modern finish). Great aircraft to fly manually as well, you can really feel the weight on take off and in the initial climb. The addition of the 747F is an added bonus for us 747 nuts, as you can fly those shorter legs and different approaches and if you get it wrong hey its only some cargo that gets ruined! :( Being around on these forums on the lead up to release was amazing, you can tell how much pride PMDG and especially Robert had when the aircraft finally went live!Cant believe it was 4 years ago...

Too many years ago.... I saw my first Jumbo (BOAC) fly off from Heathrow and up until then the largest thing was the 707. Seeing something that huge get into the air was just amazing, all it seemed to do was angle up and showed no sign of climbing upon leaving the airport area.So quiet as well, just a whoosh and small whine as it passed overhead the Staines reservoirs, much different to the then extremely noisy 737's (I assume different engines back then), and the smoky 727's.I even saw the first scheduled Concorde takeoff from there but didn't realise it at the time lol. Just goes to show how long ago... airlines like TWA, BEA, BOAC, PAN AM, etc about.... blimey I must be getting old lol.It still amazes me how far air travel has come on in such a short space of time and that pmdg gives us the chance to 'fly' some amazing pieces of technology.Still love the Queen of the Skies, and still think the A380 is just too large to steal her crown. Happy birthday.John Ellison

The 747 will always be up there with Concorde as one of the great achievements of Aviation. But I have to say I flew on a Singapore A380 EGLL -WSSS -EGLL and I was shocked at how quiet and smooth the ride is, the shear size of the beast means it absorbs rough air like no other aircraft. However anyone who has flown on her knows what the flaps sound like, I guess they have no choice due to sheer size of them but it scared the cr!p out of a few people when they started retracting!Rob

Rob Prest