Sign in to follow this  
Guest Thaellar

Strange propeller graphics - blade animation behind all clouds

Guest Thaellar

I have a couple planes (F1 ATR is one) where the propeller animation disappears behind clouds creating a bizarre and distracting effect. I suspect it is because it is a reworked FS9 plane. Nevertheless its cause, is there a way to fix it?Thaellar

You are correct, it is usually caused by having used FS9 SDK stuff. Some Flight 1 aircraft have patches which address the problem for FSX, but the ATR's FSX patch does not address that issue, or at least it didn't on mine. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Yeah, its a problem with some non native FSX airscraft.Personally, when ever I make FSX (sp2) compatable props for FS9 aircraft, I lighten up the prop so when it does disapear behind a cloud, It's not that noticable.

I've found that if you've got time for a little experimentation you can often replace a problem prop texture with another one from your collection of aircraft. You'll find that even some of your FS9 aircraft have suitable replacements.Firstly, locate the prop texture you are having trouble with. There will be one in each of the texture folders you have repaints for, and it will usually be named something like prop.dds. If it doesn't have a name you can recognise then it will be more difficult to track down, and you may give up out of frustration, but you'll find that textures usually have a name associated with their function.Next, use the same method to locate a suitable prop texture from your collection. Copy it over to the texture folder containing the problem texture, rename the old texture to something like prop.dds.org, and rename the replacement texture with the name of the problem texture. Test the result in the sim, and repeat as necessary.With a bit of luck you can solve a lot of your texture problems this way.

Mike Beckwith

The best thing to do is to stay away from those "compatible" FSX planes and just install true FSX models.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

I've found that if you've got time for a little experimentation you can often replace a problem prop texture with another one from your collection of aircraft. You'll find that even some of your FS9 aircraft have suitable replacements.Firstly, locate the prop texture you are having trouble with. There will be one in each of the texture folders you have repaints for, and it will usually be named something like prop.dds. If it doesn't have a name you can recognise then it will be more difficult to track down, and you may give up out of frustration, but you'll find that textures usually have a name associated with their function.Next, use the same method to locate a suitable prop texture from your collection. Copy it over to the texture folder containing the problem texture, rename the old texture to something like prop.dds.org, and rename the replacement texture with the name of the problem texture. Test the result in the sim, and repeat as necessary.With a bit of luck you can solve a lot of your texture problems this way.
Nice explanation. I've done this with several favorite aircraft ported over from FS9, with positive results. I encountered another strange texture situation recently. I moved the Alphasim T-34 Mentor from FS9 to FSX and discovered that not only did the prop need fixing but the wheels had vanished. I could see their shadows against a cloud, but against blue sky they were invisible. Turns out the culprit was the "wheels" texture in each texture folder. I found a replacement in an FSX freeware upgrade of the Alphasim T-34C Turbo; the replacement file already had the correct name, so it was just a direct transfer. Magically, the wheels reappeared.

I have a couple planes (F1 ATR is one) where the propeller animation disappears behind clouds creating a bizarre and distracting effect. I suspect it is because it is a reworked FS9 plane. Nevertheless its cause, is there a way to fix it?Thaellar
I found that I could fix the F1 441 by substituting the F1 PC12 prop texture file... If you have the PC12, it might be worth a try..

Bert

or you can try this toolhttp://www.interkult...nn/fsx/maiw.php(The "Texture Replace Tool")
Thanks for the tip. I tried this but it is just for a very narrow few named prop textures. Mine was not one of them.Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .