Sign in to follow this  
Arklight1

RealAir Duke problem....

Guest Seria17hri11er
Snave's advice is good. In a long testing period the Cold and Dark never failed. I can only imagine that some people have wierd and wonderful setups, or cfg edits, or perhaps something beyond their control but we tested the Duke's cold and dark settings many many times.But even if it does not work, it really is not a show stopper. All you have to do is switch everything off then save the flight. That takes less time than posting on this forum!All the best,Rob Young - RealAir Simulations
This is true for some, but not all. As I and another user stated, once we shut the engines down, they will not start without using CTRL + E. I will try starting with a default AC then loading the Duke.

So you can't select the default cessna, turn off all the systems, save it as default flight, then load it again, then load the Duke, and start it with your hardware?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

So you can't select the default cessna, turn off all the systems, save it as default flight, then load it again, then load the Duke, and start it with your hardware?
That worked for me, but doesn't that negate the reason for having the cold and dark option in the config utility in the first place?

Scott

KGPI

Banner_MJC1.png

That worked for me, but doesn't that negate the reason for having the cold and dark option in the config utility in the first place?
No, but it does confirm that the problem is NOT with the aircraft, but with the users system, setup or configuration, and therefore hardly within the developers remit to solve. Whatever happened to personal responsibility? Besides, the configuration is only there as a sop to those who are unable to figure out how to create a cold'n'dark scenario in the sim, and there can't be many of those by now, with all the topics in all the forums available for research? If the config choice doesn't work, create one the `proper` way. It takes less than 19 seconds from start to finish...

Without going into tedious detail, just accept the fact that the FS "default flight" saves an additional twenty-six state variables more than a regular "saved flight."Because of this, some state data may become out of synch (where off is really on, etc.)...This is why it is critical that (a) only a stock FS aircraft be used for the "default flight" and (:( it is occasionally necessary to load the FS "default flight" prior to loading an advanced add-on aircraft. Typically this is only required to be done one time, because once the add-on aircraft is loaded, you can save that state as a regular "saved flight" and relaunch the add-on at any future time using that "saved flight."The only real reason any add-on would typically have for their own "Cold and Dark" option would be to save additional "custom state data" that is not saved in either the "default flight" or "saved flight" files.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Seria17hri11er
Are you starting from a default aircraft in the sim? Are you starting from a default aircraft already in cold and dark? Are you starting the sim, choosing the default flight THEN selecting the cold'n'dark Duke?There is a common problem with FS that switches can get `out of phase` with their apparent, visible settings in VC (and 2D). If that is the case and you then attempt to load an aftermarket aircraft that may not use all those switches, or have them programmed outside of the SDK for added functionality, then it is quite easy to have `off` as `on` and `on` as `off`.
I tried loading up a flight with the default 172, then switching everything off, and loading the Duke. All electronics were off as is always, but the engines were still running, and once I shut them off, they would not start unless using CTRL + E. I do not believe there is anything wrong with my default flight. Even if I Autostart the engines, then shut them down again, I cannot start them without Autostart. They will crank, but they will not start.

Would also be interested in a fool-proof method to get an engine start.scott s..

If the Duke engines crank but don't start it's probably that you're using left click/right click to control the switches.If you use the mouse wheel to turn the ignition switch they should start.It's an FSX quirk or something.I hope it helpsLucevan

Tap on the mouse button at least 2 or 3 more times when you have got to the mags start position and then they will fire up perfectly as long as the mixture isn't at cut off and fuel is switched on too.

Cheers, Andy.

RE setting 'Cold and Dark' from the realair config panel: if running on vista/windows 7, ensure you run the panel as administrator - that fixed it for me. Haven't (yet) been able to start the engines using the starters - they crank but just don't light. I used the mouse wheel suggestion, tap 2 or 3 more times suggestion, clicking left/right mouse buttons, dragging, you name it. Have to resort to using Ctrl-E.My setup: Win 7 x64, FSX + Acceleration

Hi Chaps,We are currently in the final stages of a major service pack for the Duke which will include somewhat more reliable cold and dark procedure, although we cannot guarantee it will fix it for everyone having issues with it. Meanwhile for those who experience a reluctant start up, we will also address this by making the starter routine more reliable too. For some unknown reason some systems need to tweak the starter switches twice in quick succession to fire up the engines.We will be announcing the service pack release as we near the end of testing.All the best,Rob Young - RealAir

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

I haven't followed the entire thread here but here's what I do and always get reliable cold starts:1-turn on battery2-turn on both fuel valves on floor3-advance the mixture lever for the right engine to full4-turn on the right fuel pump and make sure the low fuel pressure light goes out5-turn the right mag switch to the start position using the mouse right click and after the engine starts to crank tap the right click two or three times more. Engine has always fired.6-after engine smooths out a few seconds turn off the fuel pump7-turn on right generator8-repeat above steps for left engineFWIW always works for me.

This works for me but I'm not using any special hardware - MS FFB2 joystick + CH throttle

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |