Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ozmanguday

New Laptop: FS9/XP, FSX/XP, FSX/Vista or XP/Vista?

Guest Ozmanguday

Hi Guys,Currently I am running FS9 on my laptop:HD 40GB at 4200rpm (very low)CPU Intel Centrino M 1,73Ghz2x 512 DDR2 RAMOn Board GPU Intel 192 RAM14,1" screenFurther I have added Wilco Pic 737, PMDG 737NG, Wilco Airbus V.1 and 2.Specs seem real low for hardware, though believe me, it is running nice, have had many flying hours........yet...it's simply never enough. Now I am not a FPS freak, nor have I ever looked at it, and I have a good performance. I am thinking of buying a new laptop. Since I travel a lot, I rather spend money on a good laptop than desktop (for now).The 2 systems I have got in mind are these:1) XXODD XNi761sun 15" 4x4spacer.gif

• Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 (2,80GHz, 1066Mhz, 6Mb)
  • 4GB DDR2 667MHz RAM (2x 2GB)
  • 320GB SATA HD 7200RPM (16Mb cache)
  • Windows XP Home (32bit)
  • nVIDIA GeForce G105M /512MB DDR2 Vram DirectX 10.0 compatible

2)XXODD XNi860tu 15" 4x4spacer.gif

• Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 (2,80GHz, 1066Mhz, 6Mb)
  • 4GB DDR3 1066MHz RAM (2x 2GB)
  • 320GB SATA HD 7200RPM (16Mb cache)
  • Windows XP Home (32 bit)
  • nVIDIA GeForce GTX260m met 1GB GDDR3 Vram DirectX 10.0 compatible

Option 2 is bit more expensive because of the Video Card. Currently I am happy with FS9, though very interested in FSX. As I have read about some issues in Vista, and that it needs more from your system, and then combined with FSX, I am not sure how smooth it will run on the abouve configs (but then with Vista). On the other hand, what if I decide on FS9, are the above configs too good as far as CPU and or Vram is concerned? Will the Core 2 Duo be any benefit on XP/FS9, or may I be spending too much on a CPU, and may I settle for a lower?So basically, given the above facts (budget tied for me), what would anyone recommend for both options (XP/FS9 or XP/FSX or Vista/FS9 or Vista/FSX)?The advantage is that if I take Vista I have the ability to install up to 4 GB Turbo Mem.I even have heard that FSX is running quite ok on Windows 7 (test version), though that one isnt out yet :(, 'cause I rather have a new system with Window 7 (I have heard good things about).Basically want a good up-to-date smooth running system, with an "OK" performe on FS. Regards,Erol

Guest Ozmanguday
Toshiba has some really nice laptops.
Yes, Toshiba has nice laptops, though to get something close to a "good" Toshiba it will cost less as you can configure your laptop with XXODD. I've read the the FS9 uses a single core, but wonder how it will perform when a C2D at 2.66 or 2.80 Ghz is used.

Yes, Toshiba has nice laptops, though to get something close to a "good" Toshiba it will cost less as you can configure your laptop with XXODD. I've read the the FS9 uses a single core, but wonder how it will perform when a C2D at 2.66 or 2.80 Ghz is used.
I am a road warrior and use an older version Toshiba Qosmio with 4 GB DDR3 RAM and a Core Duo (forgot the clock speeds). Your option 2 looks like a good system for FSX. Mine comes with a 9700M GTS and 512MB VRAM. You may find the 15" screen a bit limiting; I did find the jump from 15" to 17" quite a step change. Unless, of course, you plan to get a separate monitor. I run 64-bit Vista without any problems, especially because I like to run 64-bit Photoshop for my graphics work and it works blazingly fast on this Qosmio.

Guest Ozmanguday
I am a road warrior and use an older version Toshiba Qosmio with 4 GB DDR3 RAM and a Core Duo (forgot the clock speeds). Your option 2 looks like a good system for FSX. Mine comes with a 9700M GTS and 512MB VRAM. You may find the 15" screen a bit limiting; I did find the jump from 15" to 17" quite a step change. Unless, of course, you plan to get a separate monitor. I run 64-bit Vista without any problems, especially because I like to run 64-bit Photoshop for my graphics work and it works blazingly fast on this Qosmio.
Thanks Pontious :)So FSX runs smooth with you? At the moment I use 14.1" and believe me, it is good! As I need to carry the unit around, I thought about a 15.4", and might get a 22 or 24" TFT later. I would prefer 17" though carrying the thing around is a different thing, so I got to stick a bit smaller. But do you have and pro or cons for FSX with Vista on your own system? I have read that FSX is more CPU than GPU hungry, so would getting option 2 would cost me roughly

Thanks Pontious :)So FSX runs smooth with you? At the moment I use 14.1" and believe me, it is good! As I need to carry the unit around, I thought about a 15.4", and might get a 22 or 24" TFT later. I would prefer 17" though carrying the thing around is a different thing, so I got to stick a bit smaller. But do you have and pro or cons for FSX with Vista on your own system? I have read that FSX is more CPU than GPU hungry, so would getting option 2 would cost me roughly