Sign in to follow this  
Werner747

FS9 dead? I don't think so!

Clearly, from the replies in this thread, we need to acknowledge the virtues of our favourite sim. Since it is so enjoyable on my ancient AMD 1.8 XP2200, driving triple monitors/views via GE Force FX5200 cards- I have started to refer to FS9 as "Classic Sim"And FSX is now spoken of as "New Sim". My computer tells me it is very pleased with this nomenclature- and wonders if I remenber "New Coke".Alex Reid
Hi Alex,Yes, I ran an FX5700 LE card with 128 MB RAM and 512 MB RAM for my system when I first got my PMDG 747-400. I asked the guys at PMDG beforehand whether they thought it would be wise, and they advised me to do an upgrade first. Curiosty and the love for the 747 eventually got the upperhand and I took that step - and was well rewarded! I ran like a gem (less fps than I get now, but still very good) with high FS9 settings. FS9 is very well designed platform and great to fly with - will be using it for many years to come!RegardsWerner747

But we cannot deny that once all the bugs are ironed out and that PC and software technology catches up, most will migrate to FSX.
Whatever we say, I think this is possibly the truth. I know I'll give FSX another try when I get a newer computer. I do find it very sad that I have all these bautifull addons that will either not work at all, or badly in FSX, and that's a big reason for me to sit and wait for FSX becoming better.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Guest DAH4062
All in all, an amazing product. If you can direct me to the freeware scenery, I can do the comparrison for you. But I can tell you now that you won't be sorry if you purchase the FlyTampa product. Check out their website for some amazing screenshots :-)
Thanks for the info.Here are the filenames for the 9Dragons Kai Tak V2:9dv2p1-4: This is the .pdf manual, which is awesome (a word I hate to use, but does justice)9dv2p2-4, 9dv2p3-4, 9dv2p4-4: These are the installation files.9dv2-1: This is a little update that fixes some minor bugs.These are available here at avsim.com. Come to think of it, you could find them by searching "Kai Tak" in the FS9 scenery library, and then chossing Order by date, so that they appear together. The downloads are a little big, but it is well worth it. My only gripe is that it removes VHHH, so I dropped the Thomas Kwong scenery on top, minus the Landclass, with OK results.As for the FlyTampa one, I have already decided to get it, but prefer the opinion of a customer than a reviewer or the developer. Looking forward to it a lot, but you may not like the 9D one, it may be a bit of a downgrade, but not a big one (it took them 3 years, after all). On a final note, you are right there is nothing more satisfying than swinging a big ol' Jumbo into Kai Tak in rubbish weather (which it almost always is, kind of like England but with more sun).EnjoyRashid

Thanks for the info.Here are the filenames for the 9Dragons Kai Tak V2:9dv2p1-4: This is the .pdf manual, which is awesome (a word I hate to use, but does justice)9dv2p2-4, 9dv2p3-4, 9dv2p4-4: These are the installation files.9dv2-1: This is a little update that fixes some minor bugs.These are available here at avsim.com. Come to think of it, you could find them by searching "Kai Tak" in the FS9 scenery library, and then chossing Order by date, so that they appear together. The downloads are a little big, but it is well worth it. My only gripe is that it removes VHHH, so I dropped the Thomas Kwong scenery on top, minus the Landclass, with OK results.As for the FlyTampa one, I have already decided to get it, but prefer the opinion of a customer than a reviewer or the developer. Looking forward to it a lot, but you may not like the 9D one, it may be a bit of a downgrade, but not a big one (it took them 3 years, after all). On a final note, you are right there is nothing more satisfying than swinging a big ol' Jumbo into Kai Tak in rubbish weather (which it almost always is, kind of like England but with more sun).EnjoyRashid
Hi DAH4062,Thanks for the indications mate! I'll get these asap and do a comparrison. I also have to say that you hit the nail on the head there with your comment about rather wanting to get people who use the product to comment than reviewers, because (to use another cliche) marketing will always be marketing, and what you cannot always be sure that you are getting what they say you are.One of the best examples of this is when they sell an airplane and say "certified by real world pilots" or some of the other very well known phrases and then the final package turns out to be a disappointment, so I also tend to speak to other people who already own the product to get their opinion of it first :-)RegardsWerner747
Whatever we say, I think this is possibly the truth. I know I'll give FSX another try when I get a newer computer. I do find it very sad that I have all these bautifull addons that will either not work at all, or badly in FSX, and that's a big reason for me to sit and wait for FSX becoming better.
Hi Thralni,I am very happy with my FSX at the moment, but I have seen some people with the same and better performance and then they go and buy PMDG's 747X and getting about 8 - 10 fps with it. That is no cool! LOL! I think I must get a much much better machine to be able to handle that and I'll wait until I can actually afford that in about 2 years or so and then look at migrating (THAT IS A BIG IF!!!). I think I'm gonna stick with FS9 for my platform to do my serious "heavy" flying on :-)RegardsWerner747

I agree with you guys. I just installed PSS B777 in FS9 and it runs great. At EGLL, I get 17 FPS and higher. AI traffic at 80% and all my sliders at maximum except for MIP mapping quality at 5 and 3d clouds at 10. FSX, on the other hand, is a totally different story. Flaying default aircrafts at less demanding airports, I will get low FPS. My laptop is not the best. 2.0 duo core with 2GB RAM and nvidia geforce 8400m GS 256 MB and running VISTA. For us to be able to run FSX the same as FS9, we will have to wait for some time and I am keeping FSX in my shelf and for the time being I will enjoy PSS B777 which a great add on by the way.

Naif Almazroa

My Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Youmou0205

Guest DAH4062
I just installed PSS B777 in FS9 and it runs great........ I will enjoy PSS B777 which a great add on by the way.
Really?? I have had it nearly 4 years and I hardly fly it anymore, I hate the model (new POSKY annihilates it) and the FDE is woeful. I have also got the PSS A330/340, A320 (fs02 ported into FS9), Dash 8, and Concorde. I have used merges with POSKY for the big buses, direct alias to PA A320 and the Conc. and Dash I use as supplied but not very often. I find that PSS panels are among the best out there (incl. PMDG 747, CS757), but I loathe the flight modelling. Just the way I feel anyway.Werner747, the library is dead here at avsim, but they should be on flightsim.com too, a site which I hardly use but in the last days has been a godsend. Let me know how you like the 9D

Really?? I have had it nearly 4 years and I hardly fly it anymore, I hate the model (new POSKY annihilates it) and the FDE is woeful. I have also got the PSS A330/340, A320 (fs02 ported into FS9), Dash 8, and Concorde. I have used merges with POSKY for the big buses, direct alias to PA A320 and the Conc. and Dash I use as supplied but not very often. I find that PSS panels are among the best out there (incl. PMDG 747, CS757), but I loathe the flight modelling. Just the way I feel anyway.Werner747, the library is dead here at avsim, but they should be on flightsim.com too, a site which I hardly use but in the last days has been a godsend. Let me know how you like the 9D
Hi DAH4062,Yes I noticed that I cannot get in there! LOL! Anyway, thanks for the heads-up. Will check it out a little bit later. I also notice that you are not the first person not to like the PSS product line. LOL! Apparently they shut down a while ago and should be reopening some time this year it think. Never bought any of their products, couldn't afford it back then! LOL!RegardsWerner747

I, also, have PSS A320 and PSS A330/340. I think their panels are the best, also, FPS friendlier than the PMDGs. But for the FDEs, I am not a real pilot so I couldn't tell. I use the IFDG merge for the A320, though.

Naif Almazroa

My Youtube channel:

Guest DAH4062
I, also, have PSS A320 and PSS A330/340. I think their panels are the best, also, FPS friendlier than the PMDGs. But for the FDEs, I am not a real pilot so I couldn't tell. I use the IFDG merge for the A320, though.
I'm not a real pilot either, but there are certain things that show up that you can't miss e.g. the A330/340 when landing tend to fly pitch down (When settled on the ILS), and if you try autoland the nose gear touches first, so you have to manually reduce the speed by 10 knots on the MCP (Boeing term but I forget what Airbus call it). I read in PC Pilot magazine that the first version on download had the exact opposite effect, so perhaps they overcorrected. I assume that you don't have the 777, congrats, it rolls like an F16, esp. when you reduce rate through 4x or close the Map box, when it literally flips on to its side. Note that I have the CD versions from Just Flight, so these kinds of bugs should have been fixed. But I must reiterate that the panels are fantastic, there's no other word for it. True they are showing their age a tiny bit, but I find that the operation is very slick compared to the wilco Airbus (worthy successor even so). I'll be brief with the models: they're rubbish.
I assume that you don't have the 777
Sorry I was away for a while and didn't notice that you're the same guy! :( :(

Thanks for the indications mate! I'll get these asap and do a comparrison. I also have to say that you hit the nail on the head there with your comment about rather wanting to get people who use the product to comment than reviewers, because (to use another cliche) marketing will always be marketing, and what you cannot always be sure that you are getting what they say you are.One of the best examples of this is when they sell an airplane and say "certified by real world pilots" or some of the other very well known phrases and then the final package turns out to be a disappointment, so I also tend to speak to other people who already own the product to get their opinion of it first :-)
While I respect your opinion, speaking as an AVSIM reviewer I must contest this. A reviewer, certainly at AVSIM, is not bound to any developer. We simply install the program, try it out, and write down what we think of it. Influence of the developer is a no go for us! We are by no means a part of their marketing scheme. I think you can trust us to be honest in our reviews, and we are quite possibly a more reliable and useful source of information than a random customer (that's not to say customers are always not to be trusted, of course).

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Guest DAH4062
While I respect your opinion, speaking as an AVSIM reviewer I must contest this. A reviewer, certainly at AVSIM, is not bound to any developer. We simply install the program, try it out, and write down what we think of it. Influence of the developer is a no go for us! We are by no means a part of their marketing scheme. I think you can trust us to be honest in our reviews, and we are quite possibly a more reliable and useful source of information than a random customer (that's not to say customers are always not to be trusted, of course).
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to knock the Avsim reviewers, you guys are truly great, and perhaps I shouldn't have said anything about you, but here's the thing. My other passion is cars and Top Gear, a British TV series, don't know if you have heard of it. The host, Jeremy Clarkson who also writes car reviews for the Times newspaper, wrote that reviewers such as himself can't be entirely relied upon. They receive a car, sometimes a Ferrari or Rolls, use it for a week, thrash it round an airfield, and then, and I misquote "hand it back to the faceless corpoation when the ashtray is full and the tires are bald". This image lingers in my mind.I'm sorry for letting that warp my trust, and it isn't fair. Sorry for the misunderstanding

I'm not a real pilot either, but there are certain things that show up that you can't miss e.g. the A330/340 when landing tend to fly pitch down (When settled on the ILS), and if you try autoland the nose gear touches first, so you have to manually reduce the speed by 10 knots on the MCP (Boeing term but I forget what Airbus call it). I read in PC Pilot magazine that the first version on download had the exact opposite effect, so perhaps they overcorrected. I assume that you don't have the 777, congrats, it rolls like an F16, esp. when you reduce rate through 4x or close the Map box, when it literally flips on to its side. Note that I have the CD versions from Just Flight, so these kinds of bugs should have been fixed. But I must reiterate that the panels are fantastic, there's no other word for it. True they are showing their age a tiny bit, but I find that the operation is very slick compared to the wilco Airbus (worthy successor even so). I'll be brief with the models: they're rubbish.Sorry I was away for a while and didn't notice that you're the same guy! :( :(
Yes, I just got the B777 yesterday, and it is good except for time acceleration. The maximum I could use is 8x. I installed SP1 and I noticed that its heavy during take off. As for the Airbuses, I use the IFDG merge and it works great. The A330/340 don't behave the way you said on landing, but again I have a problem with time acceleration but I could only use 4x which is not practical in long haul.

Naif Almazroa

My Youtube channel:

Guest DAH4062
Yes, I just got the B777 yesterday, and it is good except for time acceleration. The maximum I could use is 8x. I installed SP1 and I noticed that its heavy during take off. As for the Airbuses, I use the IFDG merge and it works great. The A330/340 don't behave the way you said on landing, but again I have a problem with time acceleration but I could only use 4x which is not practical in long haul.
4x, ha, you're lucky, I can only do 2x above FL300, so for the last few years I have used the POSKY models, which are the best I have found, free or payware. Try them, take them for a spin, just make sure you take the fuel section in the PSS aircraft.cfg and use it to replace the POSKY one, and in the title make sure to include the line PSS A330-200 RR (of course change it to apply to the model you use). Also, I converted from iFDG to Project Airbus A319/20, with no mods other than fuel and make sure to have the engine type in the title (IAE or CFM), it is well worth it and much better than the iFDG IMOBTW do you have the PSS download or Just Flight CD?

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to knock the Avsim reviewers, you guys are truly great, and perhaps I shouldn't have said anything about you, but here's the thing. My other passion is cars and Top Gear, a British TV series, don't know if you have heard of it. The host, Jeremy Clarkson who also writes car reviews for the Times newspaper, wrote that reviewers such as himself can't be entirely relied upon. They receive a car, sometimes a Ferrari or Rolls, use it for a week, thrash it round an airfield, and then, and I misquote "hand it back to the faceless corpoation when the ashtray is full and the tires are bald". This image lingers in my mind.I'm sorry for letting that warp my trust, and it isn't fair. Sorry for the misunderstanding
I thought that might be your line of thought. I fully understand you, by the way. I, too, have been thinking that way often about the reviews I read. Even though I trusted the reviewer, I kept being critical and searched endlessly for other opnions, other reviews, just to get a balanced idea of the product.

Benjamin van Soldt