Sign in to follow this  
Guest Thaellar

Reality XP GNS 530 worth it?

Guest Thaellar

I was reading a thread on the new Realair Duke and saw some GNS 530 comments which piqued my interest. Since it would be rude to ask (hijack) in that thread, I wanted to start this one to get some "reviews" from current owners.How do you like the Reality XP unit?What do you gain?Is it easy to install in an aircraft?etc.regards,Thaellar

I was reading a thread on the new Realair Duke and saw some GNS 530 comments which piqued my interest. Since it would be rude to ask (hijack) in that thread, I wanted to start this one to get some "reviews" from current owners.How do you like the Reality XP unit?What do you gain?Is it easy to install in an aircraft?etc.regards,Thaellar
I love it and have used it for years. It is the only button for button, knob for knob, real world simulation of the Garmin GNS units because it utilizes Garmin's own training software. There are so many features that even us real pilots rarely or never use when really flying that any two pilots probably don't use it in exactly the same way. If you want to correctly learn how this unit is used in real life this is the only way to do it outside of the aircraft. Even the real world FAA certified simulators are starting to utilize this software because of the cost savings both compared to installing the real world unit into a hardware simulator and also for ground based training on the unit itself. There's a good 10 to 20 hours of training that could be done on the ground, not burning fuel and money so that when you hopped into a real cockpit you would be prepared to understand and operate this unit safely and efficiently.As for installing it, you can easily install the 2d popup into any and all FS aircraft with the supplied software from RXP. For placing it into the 2d panel that can be done very easily with FS Panel Studio or if you want to learn how to alter panel bitmaps and edit configuration files you can do it the hard way. As for installing into VC's some are possible, others are not, it all depends on how the VC was designed by the developer. If you have a specific aircraft you want to install it in ask on the forums and you'll probably find someone that has already tried it and if it was possible they'll usually share the cfg files or what edits they used.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest Thaellar

Thanks Zane. A 2D popup sounds perfect. I might have to pick this up soon....real soon.Thaellar

Guest UlfB
I like it a lot. I appreciate having roads, railways and city names shown on the map.The panel configurator tool makes it very easy to add the gps to any aircraft. This tool doesn't help you with replacing the default gps in a VC. Seems that FS Panel Studio is a popular tool which makes it easier to alter a VC.Visit the RXP support forum here: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_topics.asp?FID=12

I have their 430 and it's nice, except there is no way to update the database so that greatly decreases its utility for me.scott s..

I love it and have used it for years. It is the only button for button, knob for knob, real world simulation of the Garmin GNS units because it utilizes Garmin's own training software. There are so many features that even us real pilots rarely or never use when really flying that any two pilots probably don't use it in exactly the same way. If you want to correctly learn how this unit is used in real life this is the only way to do it outside of the aircraft. Even the real world FAA certified simulators are starting to utilize this software because of the cost savings both compared to installing the real world unit into a hardware simulator and also for ground based training on the unit itself. There's a good 10 to 20 hours of training that could be done on the ground, not burning fuel and money so that when you hopped into a real cockpit you would be prepared to understand and operate this unit safely and efficiently.As for installing it, you can easily install the 2d popup into any and all FS aircraft with the supplied software from RXP. For placing it into the 2d panel that can be done very easily with FS Panel Studio or if you want to learn how to alter panel bitmaps and edit configuration files you can do it the hard way. As for installing into VC's some are possible, others are not, it all depends on how the VC was designed by the developer. If you have a specific aircraft you want to install it in ask on the forums and you'll probably find someone that has already tried it and if it was possible they'll usually share the cfg files or what edits they used.
I echo everything Zane says. If you want to learn how to use the most popular gps out there this is the way to go. Also, for learning and using waas capable approaches (which many 430/530 owners have not upgraded to) is worth it alone. I actually use a kln94-but using the 430 has made me much a much better operator. When I fly with a friend who has the 430 in his plane he is always amazed because I know much more of its operations than he does-at a fraction of the cost.

As I have said with the 430 elsewhere, it is definitely worth it IF YOU USE IT. I have my 430 installed in just about every GA plane in my hangar. I've got my 40 dollars out of it for sure.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

I'd say, go to the Garmin website and download the latest Garmin WAAS 430 simulator and try it out. Yes, If I remember correctly, you can fly without MS Flight sim. and you can use the 430. Now, this is thye same thing you get in a MS FSX aircraft.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I'd say, go to the Garmin website and download the latest Garmin WAAS 430 simulator and try it out. Yes, If I remember correctly, you can fly without MS Flight sim. and you can use the 430. Now, this is thye same thing you get in a MS FSX aircraft.Manny
I also recommend purchasing, however, there are a couple of problems shared by some owners. My airplane icon is red indicating a problem? and I get a 'Side by Side' system error every time I fly a plane with either the 430 or 530. Lately, there has been a noted absence of RXP participation on their forum. Bob..

I also recommend purchasing, however, there are a couple of problems shared by some owners. My airplane icon is red indicating a problem? and I get a 'Side by Side' system error every time I fly a plane with either the 430 or 530. Lately, there has been a noted absence of RXP participation on their forum. Bob..
Same here Bob something defiantly wrong here...

André

Guest UlfB
Bob,The Side by Side error is well known when external programs/modules access SimConnect. See http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=75420and this post that I made about this error: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=224134Is the RXP module that causes the logged Side by Side error or is it FSUIPC?

Bob,The Side by Side error is well known when external programs/modules access SimConnect. See http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=75420and this post that I made about this error: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=224134Is the RXP module that causes the logged Side by Side error or is it FSUIPC?
Just the rxp module everything else is working fine including FSUIPC and Simconnect ;-)

André

Guest bjablonka
Same here Bob something defiantly wrong here...
Does the 530 come with any step by step hands on tutorial with examples how to create a flight plan, for example?ThanksBernd

Does the 530 come with any step by step hands on tutorial with examples how to create a flight plan, for example?ThanksBernd
You just download the real manuals from the Garmin website-I seem to remember there is a 'quick start" manual.

Guest bjablonka
You just download the real manuals from the Garmin website-I seem to remember there is a 'quick start" manual.
Thanks Geofa, I will do that.Bernd