Sign in to follow this  
mrcaveman

Audio static in spot view

I was wondering if anyone is experiencing static when in spot mode and moving forward of the wings when flying the larger orginal jet aircraft? Is this a problem in the sound folder that can be fixed my dowloading other jet sounds. I have tried to reduce the hardware acceleration, quality etc without any success. Once this happens, then the atc audio can not be heard as it also is infected by the static. I sure hope someone has a fix for this. ThanksKSPI

The only thing I've noticed is excessive engine noise in the FSX default 747, which is especially bad when in a forward spot view.

Art

Do you have an Asus mobo by any chance? I have a Maximus Formula and I get static and popping in certain dense areas in cockpit and spot plain views. I never had any audio issues until in installed Win XP service pack 3. I have yet to try reinstalling the drivers since I have been really busy lately, but if that doesn't work I will try replacing the sound card the board came with.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Yes I do have a Asus mobo, the P5q deluxe. I also am running XP sp3. Sounds like we have the same noises. One other thing, I am using the on board sound which sounds great. Do you know how to infor MS of this issue. I wonder if the SP3 has any thing to do with it? Thanks for the reply.KSPI

It seems that there are either issues with the Asus mobo's or it's something to do with Win SP3. Prior to installing the SP3 service pack I had no issues with sound, since SP3 I have the crackling/popping in certain areas. It has been mentioned on this board and on others with numerous fixes from adjusting buffer pools and flat out changing cards. My stock sound that came with my mobo is the SoundMax card. I have no issues with it except in FSX, although I don't have any non FS related stuff installed on this machine, but playing music file I have no issues.I have googled this issue and read a few things regarding the SP3 update didn't include the UAA HD Audio driver. Read this link.http://www.dashken.net/index.php?/archives...tion-Audio.htmlI have not tried this yet. When I run dxdiag and go to the sound tab and run tests it shows that everything is working properly. I think I may go to the place where I had the computer built and see what they suggest. Perhaps I will just try a new sound card. Let me know if you try the fix above and how it works out for you. I may try it but aside from the sound issue everything else works perfectly on my system, including FSX, and I am scared to try anything in case I make things worse.Regards

It seems that there are either issues with the Asus mobo's or it's something to do with Win SP3. Prior to installing the SP3 service pack I had no issues with sound, since SP3 I have the crackling/popping in certain areas. It has been mentioned on this board and on others with numerous fixes from adjusting buffer pools and flat out changing cards. My stock sound that came with my mobo is the SoundMax card. I have no issues with it except in FSX, although I don't have any non FS related stuff installed on this machine, but playing music file I have no issues.I have googled this issue and read a few things regarding the SP3 update didn't include the UAA HD Audio driver. Read this link.http://www.dashken.net/index.php?/archives...tion-Audio.htmlI have not tried this yet. When I run dxdiag and go to the sound tab and run tests it shows that everything is working properly. I think I may go to the place where I had the computer built and see what they suggest. Perhaps I will just try a new sound card. Let me know if you try the fix above and how it works out for you. I may try it but aside from the sound issue everything else works perfectly on my system, including FSX, and I am scared to try anything in case I make things worse.Regards
My Asus mobo also uses the soundmax audiio. Like you said, it works perfect in every way except FSX. I may disable the HD in the bios just to see if it fixes the problem. Thanks for the reply.KSPI

If you find a way to fix let me know so I can give it a shot.

For those of you having an issue with sound (static, crackling or popping in FSX), download the DPC Latency Checker Tool from the below listed link and check your latency (also take a little time to read the site so you know how to use and interpret the information provided by the tool):http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtmlQuite some time ago I ran into this issue and in my case had to do with FSX saturating the PCIe bus. In order for me to correct the error, I set my bufferpools to 400MB in DX9 mode( yes thats 400 megabytes I only recommend trying this tweak if your video card as 1GB or more of memory). The other option is to run in DX10 Preview and the latency will disappear. I too own an ASUS mobo with a Soundmax chip and my audio issues had absolutley nothing to do with the Soundmax onboard audio as the problem would occur in FSX wether the onboard audio was enabled or disabled and enabling and disabling HD audio has no effect either. If you are experiencing the same problem as I, purchasing a new soundcard WILL NOT fix the problem. I will also add that the problem only occurs with FSX.When using the tool I recommend that you run FSX in windowed mode so that you may watch your latency in realtime.

For those of you having an issue with sound (static, crackling or popping in FSX), download the DPC Latency Checker Tool from the below listed link and check your latency (also take a little time to read the site so you know how to use and interpret the information provided by the tool):http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtmlQuite some time ago I ran into this issue and in my case had to do with FSX saturating the PCIe bus. In order for me to correct the error, I set my bufferpools to 400MB in DX9 mode( yes thats 400 megabytes I only recommend trying this tweak if your video card as 1GB or more of memory). The other option is to run in DX10 Preview and the latency will disappear. I too own an ASUS mobo with a Soundmax chip and my audio issues had absolutley nothing to do with the Soundmax onboard audio as the problem would occur in FSX wether the onboard audio was enabled or disabled and enabling and disabling HD audio has no effect either. If you are experiencing the same problem as I, purchasing a new soundcard WILL NOT fix the problem. I will also add that the problem only occurs with FSX.When using the tool I recommend that you run FSX in windowed mode so that you may watch your latency in realtime.
I think I will take a look at that latency checker. Is there a buffer pool adjustment for someone running a 512 mb card. I have a EVGA 8800 GTS 512? The thing that stumps me though is that I never had any sound issues until going from Win XP SP2 to SP3. That why I figured it must have something to do with the drivers being messed up after SP3. Although audio works fine everywhere else.

Well I just ran the latency checker and had in running in the red band from 5000us to 7800us depending on the area I was flying in. I diabled the sound device from the device manager, and like you said it made no difference. Once I exited a flight it was back in the green band. Where should I go from here with the size card I have (512mb) ?

Well I just ran the latency checker and had in running in the red band from 5000us to 7800us depending on the area I was flying in. I diabled the sound device from the device manager, and like you said it made no difference. Once I exited a flight it was back in the green band. Where should I go from here with the size card I have (512mb) ?
Have you ran in DX10 Preview yet?? At least give that a try and see your latency is (I know for most people DX10 Preview is no substitute for DX9). What I have found is that as long as you can stay in the yellow band, the audio anomolies will be cleared up. Another thing that you can try is to reduce your slider settings and tune FSX to stay in the yellow band (I'm not sure how easy this would be to accomplish since I have never attempted to tune in this fashion). Lastly, you can try adding the large bufferpool entry and see what happens. You can always remove the entry if you have problems. I have had people on 512MB cards tell me that they increased the setting to 250MB to 300MB and corrected the audio issue without experiencing other problems. I've also had others with 512MB cards report that they had issues with the large bufferpool setting. If you do have issues they will usual manifest themselves in the form of texture corruption either on the aircraft or in the environment.Regards,Bob Modrowski

Have you ran in DX10 Preview yet?? At least give that a try and see your latency is (I know for most people DX10 Preview is no substitute for DX9). What I have found is that as long as you can stay in the yellow band, the audio anomolies will be cleared up. Another thing that you can try is to reduce your slider settings and tune FSX to stay in the yellow band (I'm not sure how easy this would be to accomplish since I have never attempted to tune in this fashion). Lastly, you can try adding the large bufferpool entry and see what happens. You can always remove the entry if you have problems. I have had people on 512MB cards tell me that they increased the setting to 250MB to 300MB and corrected the audio issue without experiencing other problems. I've also had others with 512MB cards report that they had issues with the large bufferpool setting. If you do have issues they will usual manifest themselves in the form of texture corruption either on the aircraft or in the environment.Regards,Bob Modrowski
I can't run DX10 preview because I am on XP. I tried a bunch of buffer pool sizes but not did not do a thing, and like you mentioned if the pool size is too big the a/c load with the wheels on top of the plane a other weird things. I tried settings from 1000000 all the way up to 400000000. I used device manager to disable the sound card and sure enough its not the card cause the same spikes occure in the latency meter. I have concluded that it must be the nvidia driver. Since I have had this new machine I am only on my second driver. The first one didn't have these issues so I may reload that driver and see if it goes away. I am using the nvidia 175.19's right now, but when I had the 169.21's installed I didn't have any audio issues. What I may try is installing the newest drivers and if they don't clear it up I will go back to the 169.21's. I spent hours last night googling latency issues with nvidia drivers and read lots of post about this. Seems a lot of people get latency spikes using nvidia drivers that cause audio drop outs and other anomolies. Glad I tried the latency checker before I went out and bought a new sound card.

I don't think it has a thing to do with the video driver as I have a ATI card (4850) and have the same problems. The only hope is for MS to address the issue and fix it.

Did you disable your sound card and run the latency test? I disabled my Soundmax card, ran the latency test and still have the spikes which leads me to believe that it is either the video card driver, or something to do with SP3, but since I disabled the sound card and had the same issue I think its my nvidia driver. If I get it figured out I will let you know. BTW, does your video card have over 512 mb's so you can try the buffer pool tweak?