Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mbertelsen

Another library suggestion - lat/long extents for scenery

Even if you don't take advantage of it right away, it would be great if you could store the latitude and longitude extents (bounding box) for scenery uploads - this could be provided by the uploader or maybe even extracted from .bgl files.This would allow some nifty features like uploading a flight plan or graphically selecting an area and selecting scenery downloads (AFCADS, scenery, mesh) that intersect it.Anyways, just an idea, maybe it's already been suggested before.

Guest Gary Buska
Even if you don't take advantage of it right away, it would be great if you could store the latitude and longitude extents (bounding box) for scenery uploads - this could be provided by the uploader or maybe even extracted from .bgl files.This would allow some nifty features like uploading a flight plan or graphically selecting an area and selecting scenery downloads (AFCADS, scenery, mesh) that intersect it.Anyways, just an idea, maybe it's already been suggested before.
That is not a bad idea But at the present time we have no way of actually looking at any of the files other than the plain text files and image files. We have a hard enough time getting up loaders to follow the few simple rules with uploads now, You would think they would put that information in the readme file.There is no way we have the time needed to download every single scenery file to find out what area it includes. We are just volunteers here and most of us have regular 40 hours a week jobs. I am usually able to squeeze in a couple of hours during the week and a few more on the weekends but I can not speak for the others.

That is not a bad idea But at the present time we have no way of actually looking at any of the files other than the plain text files and image files. We have a hard enough time getting up loaders to follow the few simple rules with uploads now, You would think they would put that information in the readme file.There is no way we have the time needed to download every single scenery file to find out what area it includes. We are just volunteers here and most of us have regular 40 hours a week jobs. I am usually able to squeeze in a couple of hours during the week and a few more on the weekends but I can not speak for the others.
Oh, I wasn't expecting that the admins would maintain it manually, it would all be code:1) Your database would need the new fields in the metadata and a way to search using it2) The uploader could provide it as part of the upload form3) I can imagine writing an automated task/script that would download an existing zip file, open it, find any BGL's, extract the lat/long boundaries, and then submit an update to the metadata in your database. It would take a lot of bandwidth (unless you ran it on the server as a background task), and I don't know how to code the part that analyzes the .bgl, though it's got to be possible.4) If not provided, you just wouldn't find it when you searched by geographic constraints.Anyways, if you just did 1 and 2 above, maybe somebody in the community would get motivated to build the rest (analyzer for the existing content and nifty map-based search interface). I wish I had the time (I don't right now).

Just provide a Google map API as part of the upload form.If you're uploading scenery, you add a pin to the map to show the location.Users searching for scenery can then do so by surfing the Google map.