Sign in to follow this  
thepilot

Headset for ATC only?

Hi,is it possible to use a headset for FS ATC and the normal speakers for all other sounds? If so, how can this be done?Thanks in advance..

This is only a FSX feature as far as I know. I've tried it with fs9 with no luck

This is only a FSX feature as far as I know. I've tried it with fs9 with no luck
Not so. It's not only possible but easy to do. I have done it. What you need first of all is to get a hold of earphones with a USB connection as you cannot accomplish this with the pin type of connectors.This topic was talked about before here at AVSIM. I'll see if I can find the link. But basically, after connecting the USB earphones, go into the <Control Panel><Sounds and Audio Devices> and in the Audio and Voice Tabs, det up so that each device, earphones and speakers work on different programs. Also, if you have a separate sound card you can use the onboard and the other sound card for your devices.I'll try to find the link where this was dicussed previously.Jim D.Here is the link: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtop...mp;hl=earphones Edited by ilovetofly

Not so. It's not only possible but easy to do. I have done it. What you need first of all is to get a hold of earphones with a USB connection as you cannot accomplish this with the pin type of connectors.This topic was talked about before here at AVSIM. I'll see if I can find the link. But basically, after connecting the USB earphones, go into the <Control Panel><Sounds and Audio Devices> and in the Audio and Voice Tabs, det up so that each device, earphones and speakers work on different programs. Also, if you have a separate sound card you can use the onboard and the other sound card for your devices.I'll try to find the link where this was dicussed previously.Jim D.Here is the link: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtop...mp;hl=earphones
This will only work with squawkbox or similar and not with the default fs atc. It's also possible to do it if you have radar contact by using the quick sound switcher program but i've only been able to get this to work under XP and have had zero luck in vista.

This will only work with squawkbox or similar and not with the default fs atc. It's also possible to do it if you have radar contact by using the quick sound switcher program but i've only been able to get this to work under XP and have had zero luck in vista.
Did you follow the link to the previous topic? It has been done. Not hard.Jim D.

First of all, thank you for your help.I've selected 'output device' and it works, but I hear every sound out of both the headphone and the speakers. Am I missing something or is this the only possible way?

Did you follow the link to the previous topic? It has been done. Not hard.Jim D.
Have you done this under vista?

The link is just people saying what headphones to use to be able to do this. They are probably talking about fs9, or as mentioned add-on ATC programs..which is a different story. Can someone confirm that you can not get FS ATC to get played on a different sound output from the rest of the FS sounds in fs9.

Have you done this under vista?
No, with XP.I may have to retract here a little and I apologize. I did this when testing ATCvox and since I wasn't really happy with the program, I haven't been using the earphones. This was sometime back and I wasn't thinking about what I had been doing when I set it up that way. So again, please accept my apologies for misleading information. I will try to set it up again to see if I was correct the first time. I'll post here later.I am now testing the MCE (Multi Crew Experience) program as reviewed here on AVSIM. This is the program I'll be choosing. True, both aircraft and ATC sounds come across in the earphones.Jim D.

No, with XP.I may have to retract here a little and I apologize. I did this when testing ATCvox and since I wasn't really happy with the program, I haven't been using the earphones. This was sometime back and I wasn't thinking about what I had been doing when I set it up that way. So again, please accept my apologies for misleading information. I will try to set it up again to see if I was correct the first time. I'll post here later.I am now testing the MCE (Multi Crew Experience) program as reviewed here on AVSIM. This is the program I'll be choosing. True, both aircraft and ATC sounds come across in the earphones.Jim D.
Well I WAS wrong. I wasn't able to separate the default ATC to be heard in the earphones and the aircraft sounds coming through speakers. I did it with ATCvox only as the voice files are not dependent on the default ATC. In fact, with ATCvox one has to disable the default ATC altogether. With MCE though, you are interacting with the default ATC.Sorry for the misleading info before, but this 64 year old brain doesn't always work like it should.Jim D.

Well I WAS wrong. I wasn't able to separate the default ATC to be heard in the earphones and the aircraft sounds coming through speakers. I did it with ATCvox only as the voice files are not dependent on the default ATC. In fact, with ATCvox one has to disable the default ATC altogether. With MCE though, you are interacting with the default ATC.Sorry for the misleading info before, but this 64 year old brain doesn't always work like it should.Jim D.
Haha no apology required. I too could separate the sounds with voxatc and radarcontact under XP but under vista, due to its different audio architecture it's proving to be impossible. Hopefully some genius somewhere will figure it out sooner or later as I certainly can't!

Check out the GoFlight Modual, " ATC". ) I think it seperates the ATC sounds from the sounds of the engines etc. I do have this modual in my new GoFlight "corporate" modual, but as I don't like to wear earphones, I don't have it hooked up. I believe the techs at GoFlight said that this is the way it works. The unit has 3 places to plug in items. (1) Headset (2) Mike (3) Speakers. jerrycwo4http://www.goflightinc.com/order/index.php