Sign in to follow this  
spilok

3D glasses....what do you think?

I always look for recommendations and advice from my forum simming friends. I got an email today concerning these glasses. They are certainly intriquing and rather inexpensive for being wireless. Do any of you have these, and what are your thoughts about the sim experience?http://www.edimensional.com/product_info.php?products_id=28Stan

Hi Stan,I've been using e-dimensional glasses for about two years, and they're fantastic. I don't sim without them.Some things to keep in mind. The glasses work best with:a Nvidia Carda CRT monitor with a minimum refresh rate of 100 HzYou should also expect to get about half the frame rates you otherwise get in FSX, by in my opinion, it's worth the cost.Some other things that will greatly compliment the glasses:A fresnel lensHead tracking gear (TrackIR, Freetrack, etc).

"Even Ozzy's wagging his tail again. Liam who?"

As noted above, 3D glasses impact on frames rates and image clarity. I have tried both the shutter glasses and the coloured lenses and neither type offers a performance that justifies their cost.Put your money into TrackIR instead (if you haven't already).Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

They are an interesting diversion, but as others have pointed out, there are pitfalls. First up, the wired ones are better than the wireless ones, being less hassle to set up even though they have that wire. Next, they eat up frame rates because they effectively have to double the frame rate by means of how they work in creating parallax. Also, it can be kind of hard to work a mouse and cockpit switches with them on and they aren't the most comfortable glasses ever designed by man either, which is a further minus point for them.If you can get some cheap and you like to fly aircraft that don't require a great deal of switch actions in the cockpit, ie. something like a Cessna or a glider, they can be great fun. Just don't expect miracles and you won't be disappointed. And if you have Track-IR, try them with that, it is quite a startling effect. But I'll be honest with you, unlike Track-IR, mine were gathering dust after about two weeks, which makes them hard to justify because I seem to recall I paid about 80 quid for them.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I always look for recommendations and advice from my forum simming friends. I got an email today concerning these glasses. They are certainly intriquing and rather inexpensive for being wireless. Do any of you have these, and what are your thoughts about the sim experience?http://www.edimensional.com/product_info.php?products_id=28Stan
I have a pair of wired ED's. Would you like to take them off my hands?! I am a major stickler for high image quality and performance. These things kill that. I used them briefly when I had a high end CRT. Haven't used them since about the end of 2 weeks of playing with them. YMMV.Noel #2

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

I agree regarding the negative impact on performance that these glasses produce. I too used them briefly after spending a fortune, and although they worked with a CRT the performance on LCD was poor due to framerates.A while ago there was a topic by Geoffa which introduced the 3D driver to us. I went and purchased the TriDef 3D FSX 3D driver and spent about

Somewhat on the topic; How about the Vuzix VR920's? Is anyone using those? They're rather more pricey but it seesm to me the "immersion factor" should be considerably higher.(Guess this thread should be moved to the hardware section).Cheers/Jonas

Thanks for the heads up on these. I don't think I'm willing to reduce performance for the effect that these glasses produce. Technology will continue to get better...and eventually we should be able to experience 3D without frame impact. The Vuzix technology looks interesting to research.Thanks.Stan

Guest Aflorko

I've used the Vuzix product. It works well, but I am used to my TH2Go, so going back to a 1 screen view killed it for me. Come up with a wider resolution/screen for that thing and I'd say it'd be a winner.Also, the iz3d LCD monitor has come out. http://www.iz3d.com/ Demo'd this at Microcenter and thought it had real potential....

I used the 3D glasses for quite a while with FS2004. The experience is really amazing and adds a great feeling of 'being there', even more than TrackIR (which I also use). But I never used them the whole flight. As has been said, it's a bit cumbersome working the VC with the 3D effect enabled. The click spots are difficult to hit. But you can switch the effect off and on with a key press.You need a fast PC and a monitor with a high refresh rate. Most LCD-monitors only have a 50Hz refresh rate, which is insufficient (my new monitor does anyway, which is why I cannot use them anymore).One advice: if you're going to buy them, take the wired glasses. I had the wireless version and I got fed up buying new batteries all the time...Paul