Sign in to follow this  
pccitgo

ASA does not change the weather in FSX

:( I have had ASA for a few months now and had noticed that setting a wx situation that I wanted for a particular airport was not working. I was hoping to practice IMC take-offs at Van Nuys airport, KVNY, so set a 900ft ovc 100 mile radius of stratus. I clicked apply weather and even update weather but despite getting an on screen confirmation that my weather had been updated when I returned to FSX the sky was hardly what I expected. There was sct Cu and the tops of the local hills were clearly visible.I have ensured the FSX setting for weather was set to user defined but no joy.I was hoping the problem might have been fixed in the latest beta as I had seen similar complaints from other users. It would be a shame that I cant use a program I spent good money on only to have to set the IMC wx I want using the stock standard FSX weather.What do I have to do to get this problem sorted?PC

Are you using ASA over a network install (one machine for FSX, another machine for ASA), or are ASA and FSX on a single machine?I had that exact issue on a networked install, and the reason was because the IP's didn't match in the config xml files.If you are not running networked then sounds like something with SimConnect. If so, read the ASA documentation, on how to Test your SimConnect (it is in the network install section, I think). At least then you can verify that SimConnect is working the way it's supposed to on your machine.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Are you using ASA over a network install (one machine for FSX, another machine for ASA), or are ASA and FSX on a single machine?I had that exact issue on a networked install, and the reason was because the IP's didn't match in the config xml files.If you are not running networked then sounds like something with SimConnect. If so, read the ASA documentation, on how to Test your SimConnect (it is in the network install section, I think). At least then you can verify that SimConnect is working the way it's supposed to on your machine.
Hi,No I am not running ASA or FSX over a network.Viewing the start up dialogue shows some weird messages about downloads failing and loading global wx from 2006. Perhaps someone from Hi Fi can spot the obvious in there and get me back on track. Simconnect appears to be working OK if the following messages in ASA start up are to be believed:10:03 p.m. - ASA load commencing...10:03 p.m. - Verifying Active Sky Advanced License10:03 p.m. - FSX Path Value = D:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\10:03 p.m. - FSX My AppData Path Value = C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\10:03 p.m. - FSX My Docs Path Value = C:\Users\Peter\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\10:03 p.m. - ASA settings have been loaded...10:03 p.m. - Initializing ASA10:04 p.m. - FS station database update not needed (unchanged)...10:04 p.m. - World Magnetic Model has been loaded...10:04 p.m. - Wx Station Database loaded: 9960 station(s)10:04 p.m. - Airports Database loaded...10:04 p.m. - Loading Additional Weather Stations...10:04 p.m. - SimConnect found and initialized10:04 p.m. - ASA controls initialized...10:04 p.m. - ASA v11.0.0.394 Copyright

Hi,Is ASA set to use Real time?Is FS set to use System Time?Please let us know.Thanks,

Hi,Is ASA set to use Real time?Is FS set to use System Time?Please let us know.Thanks,
Yes, on both counts Jim.Here is the Metar before hitting Apply Wx; KVNY 020651Z 35003KT 10SM OVC009 FEW110 18/12 A3003.The picture shows what I see after I then go to FSX at KVNY.

I am having the same problem except i am using FS9The weather option doesnt not change to user define automatically, is it a communication problem between ASA and FS? here is the start up msgASA load commencing...Verifying Active Sky Advanced LicenseFS9 Path Value = F:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\FS9 My AppData Path Value = C:\Users\DannyFong\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9\FS9 My Docs Path Value = C:\Users\DannyFong\Documents\Flight Simulator Files\ASA settings have been loaded...Initializing ASAFS wxmapping.bin unexpected data...Index was outside the bounds of the array.FS station database needs updating...FS Station Databases Updated Successfully!World Magnetic Model has been loaded...Error loading FS9 station database - please make sure FS9 is properly installed: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.Loading Additional Weather Stations...FSUIPC.dll does not exist or is earlier than version 3.7.5. Please check that FSUIPC.dll is installed and that the installed version is at least 3.7.5. Ensure that you restart ASA once the correct FSUIPC.dll version is installed.ASA controls initialized...ASA v11.0.0.316 Copyright

Danny F

Ok apparently I had an old version FSUIPC. Now I updated to v3.9 but the problems still persists.I saw there is an error: 6:53 PM - Error loading FS9 station database - please make sure FS9 is properly installed: The process cannot access the file 'F:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Weather\wxmapping.bin'new start up msg6:52 PM - ASA load commencing...6:52 PM - Verifying Active Sky Advanced License6:52 PM - FS9 Path Value = F:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\6:52 PM - FS9 My AppData Path Value = C:\Users\DannyFong\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9\6:52 PM - FS9 My Docs Path Value = C:\Users\DannyFong\Documents\Flight Simulator Files\6:52 PM - ASA settings have been loaded...6:52 PM - Repaired Station Database... 6:52 PM - Repaired Station Database... 6:52 PM - Repaired Station Database... 6:52 PM - Initializing ASA6:53 PM - FS station database needs updating...6:53 PM - Failed to write wxmapping.bin file: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.6:53 PM - FS Station Databases Updated Successfully!6:53 PM - World Magnetic Model has been loaded...6:53 PM - Error loading FS9 station database - please make sure FS9 is properly installed: The process cannot access the file 'F:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Weather\wxmapping.bin' because it is being used by another process.6:53 PM - Loading Additional Weather Stations...6:53 PM - FSUIPC (version 3.9.0) found and initialized6:53 PM - ASA controls initialized...6:53 PM - ASA v11.0.0.394 Copyright

Danny F

One update. I just made up my mind and reinstalled FS9. However, the result is still disappointing (same problem). :(

Danny F

Hi,Please right mouse click on the ASA icon and Run......As Administrator and see what happens.Thanks,

Hi,Part of the issue is that you have FS installed into your Vista Programs files folder. Vista does not like writing to files in this folder. I am not sure how to enable writes.How much of a problem would it be to uninstall and reinstall FS outside of this path?Thanks,

hireinstalling is not a big problem but which folder I should put my FS in? I have vista installed in C drive and FS installed in F drive.Technically, FS is not in the same drive as vista.

Danny F

Hi,Don't do that yet. First, install the latest SP1 Beta and then see.Thanks,

OK. I think I have found a "work around" for this annoying problem. Hopefully the people at Hi-Fi will gain some valuable clues and say "Eureka". What I did after setting the desired wx was to save it as a Metar. I gave it a name and then went to Load Metar and chose the file I had just made and this time the wx actually changed before my eyes.I was hoping that by pushing the Apply Weather button that ASA was actually doing some like this in the background but unfortunately not in my case.Hope this helps some people out there with this problem.PC