Sign in to follow this  
willemkelder

DXTmp program question.

Hallo,I have a question about making repaints using the texture 24 bit files for the DC3/C47.I have installed the DXTmp program and for the trial and error method i am using the MS paint program.But reading the readme file i am confused i am trying the expample method but ad piont 2 of explanation after sending the image to MS paint it appear as NORM.bmp so far it works.But at piont 3 you have to close NORM.BMP file.And now i am lost because you close the paint program and loosing the opened NORM. BMP file i tryed it for several hours but nothing seems to work.So do i have to save it first or do i make a major mistake :( Because i will try to make a Dutch Airforce C47/DC3, perhaps someone who has far more experience can help me making a repaint?I have pictures avail.rgds Willem

Hallo,I have a question about making repaints using the texture 24 bit files for the DC3/C47.I have installed the DXTmp program and for the trial and error method i am using the MS paint program.But reading the readme file i am confused i am trying the expample method but ad piont 2 of explanation after sending the image to MS paint it appear as NORM.bmp so far it works.But at piont 3 you have to close NORM.BMP file.And now i am lost because you close the paint program and loosing the opened NORM. BMP file i tryed it for several hours but nothing seems to work.So do i have to save it first or do i make a major mistake :( Because i will try to make a Dutch Airforce C47/DC3, perhaps someone who has far more experience can help me making a repaint?I have pictures avail.rgds Willem
Hi WillemCongratulations on wanting to learn texture painting! It's very rewarding, when you get it right, but does indeed take some experience to learn what is what!First thing: you will be better to use something else besides MS Paint. This program is VERY limited in what it can do for you. You need a better graphics program. There are some fairly cheap ones out there - you don't HAVE to have Adobe Photoshop - indeed, I myself use a ten-year-old version of Ulead Photoimpact! Others use Paint Shop Pro, or one of the dedicated FS programs... a free graphics program of good quality is to be found at www.gimp.orgYou are on the right track, though, have no fear. Basically, the procedure is:1. In DXTBmp preferences, choose your graphics editor of choice. By default, this is MS Paint, but if you try Gimp or another, then link to that.2. Load the FS extended bitmap that you want to paint in DXTBmp (presuming that you are starting from a template or existing file - you can start from scratch, but I don't recommend that while you are learning! Also, back up any file that already belongs to another plane, before painting on it!).3. Export the file to your graphics program. Yes, it will appear there as NORM.BMP4. Do your editing. At any time, you can SAVE the file and reimport it to DXTBmp, save it as an extended bitmap again, and look at it in FS. DO NOT CLOSE THE NORM.BMP file in your editor, though. This way, you can keep repeating your edits and going through the save process to check your work.5. When you are finally finished, you can close the NORM.BMP file in your editor once you have finally reimported the file to DXTBmp and saved it as an extended bitmap again. It is a temporary file, however, and will disappear; so if you want to keep a copy of it for later, you can save it somewhere under another name. This will not save, note, as a usuable file in FS, but as a working, 24-bit file. So to repeat the process:1. Open FS texture file in DXTBmp2. Export to your graphics editing program of choice3. Edit the file, saving but not closing the NORM.BMP file. Keep DXTBmp and FS running (for checking your progress) in the background (that's what I do, anyway).4. Reimport to DXTBmp. Save back to an FS file.There is a lot more to it, of course; alpha channels for reflections (which can be treated in the same way), different types of extended bitmaps, to use or not to use mipmaps, etc. etc. But get yourself started and see how you go.If I recall, Tom Gibson has some good painting tutorials over at his CalClassics site. Used to have, anyway, I'm a bit out of touch!Hope this helps a little for now, anyway. Good luck! It's all experience and practice. I learned everything I know personally by trial and error, mostly error :(Mark

Hallo Mr Mark,Thanks for the reply.I have everything installed, but it take at least a year to learn everything special the paint program.I found also the tutorial of the california classic.I will try to make something but i will need a lot of help.thanks so farrgds Willem

Hallo Mr Mark,Thanks for the reply.I have everything installed, but it take at least a year to learn everything special the paint program.I found also the tutorial of the california classic.I will try to make something but i will need a lot of help.thanks so farrgds Willem

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Don't despair, Willem. You do not need to know all that your graphics program can do in order to create a skin. Start playing with it and you will be surprised what you can do after a little practice. Almost all of us are self-taught - I certainly am! I create all the panels and gauges using an ancient version of Paint Shop Pro 4, with a little help from Photoshop 7. Trust me when I tell you there's a lot I do not know about these programs, especially the latter. Good luck. I won't be surprised to see your first paint in a month or two. Cheers, Bill

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org