Sign in to follow this  
Mike_CFII_MEL

NAV Lights

Hi,Is it possible to change NAV lights in FSX like you can within FS9?. I don't like the large round NAV lights as seen from this screen shot.wing.jpg=========================================================I replaced FSX's Halo BMP with this one, but it makes no difference. halo.jpgIs it possible to change the NAV lights or is this built into the aircraft model.Thanks

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

All default lights except landing and taxi use the fx_2.bmp file for their source image(s).More specifically, they use the image in the lower left corner:fx2.jpgThis extract from the default fx_navgre.fx file shows how the bitmap is listed, and the way the uv1 begin and uv2 end coordinates are defined:

[ParticleAttributes.1]Blend Mode=2Texture=fx_2.bmpBounce=0.00Color Start=0, 30, 25, 100Color End=0, 30, 25, 0Jitter Distance=0.00Jitter Time=0.00uv1=0.00, 0.00uv2=0.50, 0.50

uv1 is the lower left corner of the uv selection of the image you want to useuv2 is the upper right corner of the uv selection of the image you want to use

Edited by n4gix

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Lights are not built into the model itself, they are merely positioned as a reference coordinate in the aircraft's configuration file, so if you change the coordinates, that will change the position they will appear at in FS i.e. here is the bit from the FSX Extra's light coordinates in the config file, the figures being their location, and as you can tell, the number relating to what sort of light it will be:[LIGHTS]//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit light.0 = 3, -1.73, -12.70, 0.13, fx_navredlight.1 = 3, -1.73, 12.70, 0.13, fx_navgrelight.2 = 2, -2.02, -12.70, 0.13, fx_strobelight.3 = 2, -2.02, 12.70, 0.13, fx_strobelight.4 = 4, -6.62, 0.00, 1.00, fx_vclightwhiAs noted in the post above, you can screw around with the image file they use and it will change the way the light looks, but you can shift the position of the light slightly too, so that part of it is 'inside' the 3D model of the aircraft, and that can occasionally produce a more desirable effect too by hiding part of the light, although a lot depends on the model's shape as to whether that will work well or not. It's a useful trick too if you find an FS aircraft where the light is badly positioned, as they sometimes are.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Guest napamule

The white light on the trailing edge of wing does not REALLY belong there, in my opinion, and is not 'standard' practice. I would remove it. You will find it at same distance(s) as nav red and nav green vertical position (3rd value), and same lateral position (2nd value) but different longitudial position (1st value). Go to tower view, then taxi close and see how they look, change position by changing 2nd and 3rd value (to move light inside wing, less negative), go locked spot and zoom in to see how they look. Repeat. So, some of us have done this, and takes repetition to get 'just right'.Sometimes the model will have nav lights named different from the normal, so you can go look at cfg light section from a default a/c and copy then paste the name to sub for the 'proprietary' lights provided by modeler to see if they look better. Sometimes the a/c was for FS9 or before and the light were passed on as they were back then and it don't work in FSX sometimes. So it may be time to replace them (with default type).Chuck BNapamule

Hi,The lights shown are of the Level-D 767, I'll ask on their forum if this is easily changeable. I don't like the look at all, not sure if they use the default lighting.Thanks

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

On the subject of moving navlights, is there something that can be done to fix the Dreamfleet Dakota? The aft navlight is mounted on the rudder and shows light forward, looking almost like a taxi light but because of the way the rudder moves, the light shines (forward) in the opposite direction from the turn. What's needed is some way to stop the light from projecting forward.scott s..

Please take note that I've edited my original reply to correct some errors. Specifically, the image I used was incorrect (it was from another reply last year), and the explanation of the uv1 and uv2 coordinate grid was in error.The main point is that editing the halo.bmp wouldn't work as that specific bitmap is only used by the landing and taxi light effect files. :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator