Sign in to follow this  
soldano

Opening FSX from a *.flt

In Hortons Hints of the last Computer Pilot Magazine I found 3 ways of making FSX start directly with a selected default flight.- One was dragging to the desktop a *.flt file and double clicking over it.-The second one was switching a flight by minimizing FSX and again double clicking other *.flt file previously dragged to the desktop.-I tried both but only got the FSX weather report opened.-The third one was adding a command line to the FSX shortcut, whose format the author didnt remember.-Any ideas about this ?

You don't have to copy the .FLT file to the desktop, you can double click on them anywhere in the file system.The command line format is:c:\full_path_to_fs\fsx.exe -flt:"c:\full_or_relative_path_to_flight_file\myflight.flt"The double quotes are only technically needed when there might be a space in the filename/pathname of the flight file, but I find its easier/safer to just always use the double quotes, then you don't have to worry about it.All the double clicking does is generate the above command line based on registry entries.I'm not sure I understand what you mean by starting with the FSX Weather Report open, what Weather Report (if this is something that an addon is displaying, then that's related to the addon). Using the command line switch (or double clicking) should bypass the pre-game dialogs and directly enter the game (although if you are already running FSX and in the pre-game dialogs, passing in a flight file command line probably won't dismiss the dialog, but if you are in the game, passing in a flight file command line should switch you to running that flight).And since ultimately .FLT files are also used to launch missions, you should be able to double click the .FLT file related to a mission to launch that mission.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by starting with the FSX Weather Report open, what Weather Report (if this is something that an addon is displaying, then that's related to the addon). Using the command line switch (or double clicking) should bypass the pre-game dialogs and directly enter the game (although if you are already running FSX and in the pre-game dialogs, passing in a flight file command line probably won't dismiss the dialog, but if you are in the game, passing in a flight file command line should switch you to running that flight).And since ultimately .FLT files are also used to launch missions, you should be able to double click the .FLT file related to a mission to launch that mission.
Following the Horton Hints suggestion, I double clicked over a *.flt file, and instead of opening FSX, it appeared a small window with the Microsoft FSX Logo, a B747 image and its panel and the legend FSX Flight Weather Report with some weather information below.- Try it.-Thanks

Following the Horton Hints suggestion, I double clicked over a *.flt file, and instead of opening FSX, it appeared a small window with the Microsoft FSX Logo, a B747 image and its panel and the legend FSX Flight Weather Report with some weather information below.- Try it.-Thanks
Another way to go (and maybe this is what Doug was referring to) is to associate files with the FLT extension with FSX. To do that, right click on any FLT file (not a shortcut to it, but the original file) and choose "properties". In the properties pane, you'll see two entries at the top, "Type of file:" and "Opens With:" -- click change next to "opens with" and browse to your fsx.exe then click okay. From there on out, double-clicking a FLT file will launch FSX directly into that flight.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Another way to go (and maybe this is what Doug was referring to) is to associate files with the FLT extension with FSX. To do that, right click on any FLT file (not a shortcut to it, but the original file) and choose "properties". In the properties pane, you'll see two entries at the top, "Type of file:" and "Opens With:" -- click change next to "opens with" and browse to your fsx.exe then click okay. From there on out, double-clicking a FLT file will launch FSX directly into that flight.
I tried your idea, I found that all *.flt files are set in their properties to open with FSX Flight Weather, when I try to change to FSX.exe by opening the browse box and selecting it, nothing changes as when accepting and closing the box, FSX Flight Weather remains there.-