Sign in to follow this  

Question for you who are more network-savvy than me:What could cause internal IP's to change?I have two networked boxes, and about every 3-4 months their internal IP's change on me. (This always gives ASA problems when it happens)

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest UlfB

Rhett,I assume that you have router (with firewall) somewhere between your network and your internet connection. Normally a router hands out dynamic IP adresses to computers in the network. My own router (LevelOne) has a "MAC Address Control allows you to assign different access right for different users and to assign a specific IP address to a certain MAC address". From a page on the router admin gui, I fetch my computers MAC-adress and then, on another page, set up a static IP adress for each MAC-adress on the network.On my router I find the networked computers and MAC adresses on the "DHCP Clients List" on the "DHCP Server" page. And this page is found under Basic Settings. The page "MAC control" where I assign static IP adresses to specific MAC adresses is found under "Security Settings".Hopefully this will help.

Question for you who are more network-savvy than me:What could cause internal IP's to change?I have two networked boxes, and about every 3-4 months their internal IP's change on me. (This always gives ASA problems when it happens)
Im assuming the problem with ASA is your simconnect file, where you have to enter the ip address of your PC, in the section of the simmconect file where it asks for the ip address I put the name of my PC instead of the IP address, that way there are no issues when my ip is renewed.

Rhett,I assume that you have router (with firewall) somewhere between your network and your internet connection.
I have a cable modem, w/ wireless antenna. Hooked to the back of my FS rig, are two circular wireless antennas.Hooked to my DESIGN rig, is a usb router.Anyway, I don't know of any GUI interface to the router. Could this be done via Control Panel|Device Manager|...etc. and so forth? I always use the command line tools such as ipconfig to get my information.
Normally a router hands out dynamic IP adresses to computers in the network. My own router (LevelOne) has a "MAC Address Control allows you to assign different access right for different users and to assign a specific IP address to a certain MAC address". From a page on the router admin gui, I fetch my computers MAC-adress and then, on another page, set up a static IP adress for each MAC-adress on the network.On my router I find the networked computers and MAC adresses on the "DHCP Clients List" on the "DHCP Server" page. And this page is found under Basic Settings. The page "MAC control" where I assign static IP adresses to specific MAC adresses is found under "Security Settings".
What "router admin gui" are you using?
in the section of the simmconect file where it asks for the ip address I put the name of my PC instead of the IP address, that way there are no issues when my ip is renewed.
Good idea! I hadn't thought of doing that.Still, I don't like my IP's changing on me at home. This never happens at work with our servers and routers. Networking is one of those areas of IT that I have just never gotten a good handle on. Good thing I have people at work that know more about that than I do. :(

Rhett

Guest UlfB
I have a cable modem, w/ wireless antenna. Hooked to the back of my FS rig, are two circular wireless antennas.Hooked to my DESIGN rig, is a usb router.Anyway, I don't know of any GUI interface to the router. Could this be done via Control Panel|Device Manager|...etc. and so forth? I always use the command line tools such as ipconfig to get my information.What "router admin gui" are you using?Good idea! I hadn't thought of doing that.Still, I don't like my IP's changing on me at home. This never happens at work with our servers and routers. Networking is one of those areas of IT that I have just never gotten a good handle on. Good thing I have people at work that know more about that than I do. :(
My router has a specific IP adress and I use IE to connect to my computer with the url http://nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn/ (the IP-adress was documented in the manual that came with the router). The router has a web interface (HTTP protocol) and open up a status page where I can login manage the settings(account and the default password was provided in the manual). My previous router had the same arrangement. Here is an example http://www.levelone.eu/products3.php?idu=7027&id=2259I guess most routers these days have a web interface that allow us to easily set up the router.

My router has a specific IP adress and I use IE to connect to my computer with the url http://nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn/ (the IP-adress was documented in the manual that came with the router). The router has a web interface (HTTP protocol) and open up a status page where I can login manage the settings(account and the default password was provided in the manual). My previous router had the same arrangement. Here is an example http://www.levelone.eu/products3.php?idu=7027&id=2259I guess most routers these days have a web interface that allow us to easily set up the router.
Sounds like you've got a slicker setup than I do at home. The ISP guys came by and set up my wireless, but that's about it.You did remind me of something: http://whatismyip.com/...which is something we've used at my work in the past. I'll have to do some investigating at home when I get a chance.

Rhett