Sign in to follow this  
lensman

Any hope for those of us with low vision?

Hi everyone,I'm new to X-Plane, with a total of 3 hours of frustration/////////////// slowly learning it. There are indeed many great features. Unfortunately, the program is really not low-vision friendly. - the gray-on-gray color scheme makes it very difficult to read anything. - it appears that there are no "pop-ups" for instruments, PFDs, MFDs, and so on- in general, fonts do not scale. I tried 800 x 600 but that is extremely unsatisfactory- there is an included 747, and I can operate that cockpit very easily on low vision, but what came up wasn't a 747 cockpit. I deleted and reinstalled X-Plane but the same (wrong) cockpit appeared. Is there any third-party stuff that might help?Thanks,dan davison

Hi Dan -nice icon! (Floyd)I know what you mean about XPlane not being 'poor eyesight friendly'. It dosent have popups and as far as I can tell some of the graphics will just remain blurry no matter how much you zoom in on them (the default Cessna GPS for example).I havent messed around with XPlane in a few months so I dont remember the key command but there is a 'mouse look' feature that works in the virtual cockpit and you can use your mouse wheel to zoom in on things. Its not as well thought out as the MS mouse look but it works well enough and helps when you "cant see a bloody thing" :( I know X Plane has different names for things so Im not sure what you should look for but it is there.maybe thats not what you want...As I understand it there are newer addons that have higher definition VC graphics but Im not sure which ones. there was one particular plane that everyone kept raving about(EDIT: the MU-2) (it looked good in the youtube videos I saw but who knows). just trying to help.Dave

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

Hi lensmanImprove the menu system appearance with this download HereX=plane is a completely new ballgame, so keep exploring. The upcoming next release looks to be an enormous improvement. I have no experience with the heavies so I can not help you there.Regards Pete

Hi everyone,I'm new to X-Plane, with a total of 3 hours of frustration/////////////// slowly learning it. There are indeed many great features. Unfortunately, the program is really not low-vision friendly. - the gray-on-gray color scheme makes it very difficult to read anything. - it appears that there are no "pop-ups" for instruments, PFDs, MFDs, and so on- in general, fonts do not scale. I tried 800 x 600 but that is extremely unsatisfactory- there is an included 747, and I can operate that cockpit very easily on low vision, but what came up wasn't a 747 cockpit. I deleted and reinstalled X-Plane but the same (wrong) cockpit appeared. Is there any third-party stuff that might help?Thanks,dan davison

Hi Dave and Pete,Thanks very much for the info. I'll check out the MU-2 and the alternative menu. Scar tissue is growing so fast that I am seeing double in both eyes. Those two-lane roads sure are wide all of a sudden. Surgery is this Friday. Sure hope it works.Thanks,dan

Hi lensmanImprove the menu system appearance with this download HereX=plane is a completely new ballgame, so keep exploring. The upcoming next release looks to be an enormous improvement. I have no experience with the heavies so I can not help you there.Regards Pete

Guest Setanta

Don't know if this will be of much help but if you're using a 3-D cockpit in X-Plane there are a few keyboard commands that can help a lot with seeing the sometimes tiny (especially on a wide screen monitor) instruments.As already noted above, <ctrl>-o gets you into 'mouselook' mode (which I personally hate but anyway). You can also assign a joystick button or a key to toggle into and out of a 'fixed' 3_D view if available on your particular aircraft. Once there...+ and - will let you zoom in and out.The cursor keys will let you move your head position up/down/left/right.Page up/down will let you move your head position backwards and forwards.With these keys you can get to pretty much anywhere within the cockpit.CheersSetanta