Sign in to follow this  
Guest njuser

747 FMC ILS

Guest njuser

I just purchashed the 747 and can't seem to figure out how to add an ILS frequency manually on the radio part of the fmc. I enter the frequency in the scratch pad but when I try to bring it up to where I think the ILS belongs it says invalid entry. This is complicated stuff. :)Additionally, the FMC seems to just be cycling through frequencies at an airport rather than fixing on a frequency. Sorry a few more questions...I'm new at this...I activate autobrakes but when I land, I don't see the little red letters on the bottom left indicating that the brakes are active. Thoughts?And lastly, I can't seem to get my autopilots to engage (meaning the left, right, or center ones once I've selected what it is I want the autopilot to do). Your help will be greatly aprpeciated!

Hello Sir and welcome to the forum.As per forum rules please sign your posts with your real name, alway nice to know who we are talking to :( About the ILS : use the format "freq/hdg" : e.g. "110.30/350" that should do the trick.About the autobrakes : make sure your pedals are properly calibrated and use some dead zone to be sure. There are several topics on the forum about that probem, you are not alone.About the AP : that can be everything. I would suggest to post a screen of the cockpit so we can examine the problem more precisely.Greetings

Guest njuser

Hi there,Thanks so much for the response. I actually don't have brake pedals and just use the autobrakes and then the period key. Are the brakes engaged even though they don't show the "brake" sign on the bottome right when I land?Ok...so I am able to bring the ILS up from the scratchpad now. Good. But when I go to look on my displays there is no ILS shown. At this point I notice that my main navigation display shows a heading of 359 whihc I know is incorrect given I am on final for 27L at Heathrow. This was a presaved flight I had for FS and I loaded the 747 into it. When I bring up the plane, my displays are all dark so I need to turn on battery, etc. But my headings don't change on my main display nor does it show the ILS. I'm assuming this may also be why the autopilot won't engage. Things are not properly "calibrated" I guess. I think this has something to do with allign, nav on the overhead but I'm not sure how to work that. Can it be fixed from in flight? And lastly any ideas on how to see the wings from inside? I have active camera but can just get into the cabin and look out but don't see the wings.I know that's a lot but any help is always appreciated. Thanks so much.best,Seth PS I can't figure out how to take pictures of the cockpit. Sorry.

Press the PrtScrn key, then open something like paint and paste from the clipboard.I have no idea what you are trying to do from the description of your problem. Are you programming the FMS during a preflight? Autopilot will not engage unless the preflight is successfully completed. The FMS will automatically tune the ILS for you based on the route you program.Have you tried the tutorials?

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest njuser

Ok, thanks for telling me how to take a picture of the screen. Here we go. From the pictures I uploaded you can see I am on final for Heathrow 27L but my main screen shows a heading of 359 and is locked on this. Obviously this is wrong. I'm also switched over to the approach mode (I'm not sure of the official terms for all these things) but I don't see any ILS. The ILS frequency is correctly loaded on the FMC. You can also see how the autopilot switches are activated but the A/P engage switches won't illuminate or activate. I have also uploaded a picture of the overhead panel. I suspect the IRS might be responsible for some of this. Is it possible to load the 747 into an already saved flight and get the IRS properly working?Thanks.Seth

Hey Seth, You need to learn how to fly it properly and study the docs, there are so many errors I wouldn't know where to start. It can be frustrating for some people as you want to jump in and fly, but if your level of interest has got you this far into the hobby you need to put the work in and study the aircraft otherwise it leads to frustration.Rob

Rob Prest

Seth,Rob gave you right advice - go through some tutorials that teach you how to fly this aircraft. You are too high above G/S so A/P has no way to capture it. I don't think IRS have anything to do with your inability to fly ILS. I don't recall if 747 can capture G/S before it can capture LOC but clearly what you are attempting to do here is outside "normal" procedures - you are barely 4 miles from the runway threshold and your ILS isn't engaged (in GREEN) yet. Your sink rate is above 1500 rpm - not a very good way to give ILS a chance. Your A/P however seems to be configured OK and both G/S and LOC seem to be armed correctly (they show in WHITE) but you happen to be in the wrong place, doing wrong things. The fact that your heading indications are completely off (incorrect runway, IRS?) only adds to the confusion.

Guest njuser

Thanks. I appreciate everyone's help.

Guest fyrestrtr

I just wanted to say thanks for posting this question as I was about to ask the same thing! :) Just goes to show you are not alone and that this aircraft is not something you can 'jump in and fly'.About your brakes thing and autoland; the manual is the first place you should start, but here is my short version of the instructions :) 1. Input your flight plan into the FMC before flight, otherwise autoland doesn't engage, afaik. You should have selected the departing and landing runways, route, SID/STARS, flaps (for takeoff), flight level and fuel weights (which are automatically calculated by the FMC by clicking on the LSK next to the appropriate entry). 2. To get autoland to work, the first thing is your ILS in the FMC should match the ILS that's on the map in FS. This has caught me a few times scratching my head and heading for the TO/GA switch. Once the LOC and G/S are tuned in correctly (ie, you see the bugs moving in the PFD) and you are lined up on your runway, you have to click on the APP button on the MCP. This will cause the autopilot to follow the LOC and G/S. Your MCP should then show all three APs engaged, and the SPD switch engaged, and LAND3. Then, you are responsible for controlling the speed and flaps. Arm the speed brakes (shift+/ on the default key mapping), and the wheel brakes. The plane will descend, flare, land, the speed brakes will engage, and the red BRAKE indication will show up. After a few seconds on the ROLLOUT phase, you should disengage the autopilot otherwise your plane will start wobbling on the runway -- this has something to do with how the LOC beacon is setup in FS (something very technical from my limited research into the topic). That's it! :D 3. To initiate an abort, click your TO/GA key.Hope this helps.Clear Skies.

Guest hangar744

Hi Seth,first thing first. After seeing these dramatic screen shots, all I can say is that you need to start reading some manuals from page no. 1. Nothing wrong with that, we all did and probably most of us still do. It will be a long, but rewarding journey. Take just a few pages at a time, read and try to understand every single sentence. Read and play with only one system (electrical, hydraulic power, etc) at a time on the ground, so you actually see how a certain system is behaving by its own. Next you'll learn and understand how all the systems interact with each other. First you'll be only following manuals by the word, but don't worry...after some time you will understand exactly what you are doing and why. And of course a whole lot of guys here are eager to answer any of your questions.BTW: the root of your problem lies in the IRS. Most probably you forced the IRU's with a wrong heading with ATT mode on the Mode Select Panel. The wet compass reading is totally different than every other heading values shown. This airplane has no idea where it is in space.Good luck and happy readings,delcom

Guest njuser

Again thanks to all. I've got most of it figured out now. My only last thing that I need to figure out, which I'm sure I will eventually, is how to load a flight plan I created on simroutes.com and downloaded to my FMC (after already being saved into my PMDG/flightplans folder). I've found numerous threads on laoding plans and errors, etc...but I haven't found exactly where in the FMC to load the plan....the magic "click here to upload your saved flight plan button." Thanks to all again.Seth ps I have done extensive reading on multiple planes and multiple FMC versions. For me, though, it comes down to school studies or manuals. I think I've come a long way and need the last little key.

This might get you on the right track. It's not 100% detailed, but should get you going. (and is just 10 mins long)

how to load a flight plan I created
For ones I have created in the 747 FMC (and saved of course)RTE page > input flight to scratchpad (e.g. KDETKBUF001) > upselect 3R (CO ROUTE) > Activate > EXEC

But my headings don't change on my main display nor does it show the ILS. I'm assuming this may also be why the autopilot won't engage. Things are not properly "calibrated" I guess. I think this has something to do with allign, nav on the overhead but I'm not sure how to work that.
Then I think now is the time for you to read the manual in it's entirety and after that you can come back and ask questions. :( Karsten