Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Preselecting weather conditions in As6.5

When flying (FS9) certain resource hungry payware a/c (I won't mention any names), especially from detailed payware airports like Aerosoft's Heathrow, the straw that always breaks the camel's back, fps wise, is how cloudy the skies are. I could opt to close AS6 and use FS9's 'Clear Skies', but assuming I prefer to have AS6 working so as to get some dynamic weather en route, how do I use AS to find a wx file which I know will give me clear skies, at least until after I am airborne, when the fps problem usually disappears?I don't use online updating: I have a set of 365+1 wx files, one for each day of the year, downloaded via AS6. I select these manually in AS6 according to the day I am flying. But it's only by trial and error that I can find a day with clear skies at the departure airport: I keep selecting wx files and let them load until I find one with no clouds The 'Find Wx' doesn't have an option to find clear weather. The preset wx files (thunderstorms, clear skies, snowstorm etc.) have never worked properly on my AS setup - you probably don't remember Jim but 2-3 years ago we experimented with files you sent me, but they never gave me the weather they were supposed to. Even now, the weather I get in FS9 is rarely the same as the weather that shows in the AS6 'Decoded' window: I very often have quite heavy cloud cover when the 'Decoded' window shows 'Clouds: None'. I've never been able to fix that, from one reinstall of FS9/AS6 to another, so I've learned to live with it. (Tough life, isn't it?!).All I would really like then is to be able to do is to find a wx file that will give clear skies in FS9 without my having to go through a dozen or so at random. But I can't see how to do this. Is it possible?Thanks for any help,Martin

Hi, 1. Start ASv6.5 and set things up as you have been doing. 2. Go the the Wx Configurator Screen. 3. Use the optionally fetch a current METAR line and type in your current location. 4. Now the current METAR is shown in the METAR string window. 5. Remove the cloud layers. 6. Move to #2 Choose Where to apply this Wx and make your selections.7. Click on Apply Now.8. Click on Update and Close.I think it would be easier just to start with AS closed and fly with FS Clear skies and then start up AS after being airborne.Thanks,

Thanks very much for this Jim. That certainly clears the skies as far as the 'Decoded' window in AS is concerned. Unfortunately, as I explained earlier, although the AS window now shows 'Clouds: None', in FS the sky is full of clouds (albeit now 'light' ones which don't seem to be affecting frame rates too much. Do you have any fresh ideas of why this happens? It only seems to affect clouds: if AS6 'Decoded' window says rain, I see rain in FS, same with snow etc. It's just the clouds that are misreported:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/mart...t/Skies-AS6.jpgMartin

Ah, one other thing. When I go through what you outlined above and still have clouds in FS, despite zero clouds in AS 'Decoded', if I click on refresh once again, that clears the clouds. Fine.However, when I load up my wx weather files via Load Wx as normal, and end up with different cloud/visibility in FS than shows in the AS window, clicking refresh changes nothing. The clouds (sometimes heavy coverage) stay, even though AS continues to report clear skies.Not sure if that helps any!M.

Hi,Did you clear the weather in FS?Still might start with AS closed.Thanks,

Mostly this is good Jim (max frame rates at Aerosoft EGLL when no clouds - down to single figures with heavy clouds), but I notice that even though I have edited the METAR for cloudless skies, when I then click on GE Pro, ground textures for 'Mostly Cloudy', for instance, are loaded. Does the GE Pro launch not link to the METAR I have edited?Martin

Hi,GEP will use the average weather for the whole route, not just at the departure airport.Thanks,