Sign in to follow this  
markturner

Error-your computer has run out of available memory

Hi, I just got the above message after the game crashed. You can see my machine is pretty powerful. I have not had this message before and was using photoscenery, with no autogen, the game was running very well and smoothly beforehand. Is this common? Do I need more memory? Does it mean graphics memory or RAM ? Thx, Mark

Guest PPSFA
Hi, I just got the above message after the game crashed. You can see my machine is pretty powerful. I have not had this message before and was using photoscenery, with no autogen, the game was running very well and smoothly beforehand. Is this common? Do I need more memory? Does it mean graphics memory or RAM ? Thx, Mark
Funny you should mention this, I just had the same thing happen yesterday. It usually happens about once a year and near as I can figure, it's nothing more than a means for the nice folks at Microsoft to let you know that just because you think you are master of your computer, you're not! Outside of the aggravation factor ( I was hosting a multiplayer session so EVERYONE lost the session), I just restart FSX and don't worry about it. Your milage may vary.

EDIT: 05/06/09 - Post Removed by Owner

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest firehawk44
Since you have a 64 bit OS, you shouldn't have to worry about OOM's but I have heard of others with 64 bit systems having OOM's too. I would recommend this link to Nick N's suggestions for tuning up your system: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041Vista has a memory diagnostics program but it's quite lengthy to run. I run a little program like Everest Ultimate that tells me everything going on with my system. Jim

thx for the replies guys, I have set up my install using Nicks guide, I thought my problem might be different from the usual OOM errors, ( which i have read up on extensively) as they are usually preceded in game by graphical glitches, tearing, etc, none of which i had, it just stopped. This is why I thought it was unusual. i will check out your article, N4Gix, thx.I also have everest, how best can I use it to diagnose what is happening within FSX memory wise? thx, Mark

Guest firehawk44
I also have everest, how best can I use it to diagnose what is happening within FSX memory wise? thx, Mark
Good question. I have never used it to diagnose what's happening within FSX. FSX is CPU intensive so that's the key component for FSX. Of course, lots of memory is good too but I don't think FSX uses/manages memory all that well. Lots of previous discussions on this forum regarding that too! I don't put all my scenery sliders all the way to the right and that has been proven to be the best solution for me and I have crystal clear graphics and excellent frame rates as a result. Good luck resolving your issues.Jim

Hi, N4Gix, you say the problem is relatively easy to fix, could you say how? the article appeared to refer to 32 bit systems, i am running 64 bit. At the moment, i have windows set to manage the page file size. I just had the error happen again, the other thing I have noticed, is that the GUI is very slow, for eg, if I change any of the settings such as plane to fly or weather, it takes a while for the picture of the plane to appear, often, it will be graphically corrupted and will move very slowly. Does anyone know if having loads ( nearly 200 gb) of photoscenery is having an effect? Will it benefit me to leave areas I am not flying in unchecked in the scenery llibrary? I have my FSX installon a separate raptor hard drive, OS on another Raptor and most of my scenery and addons on the same drive as FSX. I have followed NickN's set up guide and am a loss as what is causing my issues.At the moment I am considering uninstalling it all again and starting from scratch, but that seems silly until I can identify the problem..My Pc should be capable of running FSX fine on the settimngs I use, I have loads of memeory, a powerful graphics card. I am confused!!!By the wa, you may have noticed I have another thread relating to some graphics issues I was having after using the HDR mod anfd the framerate limiter. Since I uninstalled all my drivers, took out the mod, cleaned the system and re installed drivers, the symptoms have gone, althouh now, I have the issue with the memory error and the GUI slowdown.thx, Mark

Guest firehawk44
Hi, N4Gix, you say the problem is relatively easy to fix, could you say how? the article appeared to refer to 32 bit systems, i am running 64 bit. At the moment, i have windows set to manage the page file size. I just had the error happen again, the other thing I have noticed, is that the GUI is very slow, for eg, if I change any of the settings such as plane to fly or weather, it takes a while for the picture of the plane to appear, often, it will be graphically corrupted and will move very slowly. Does anyone know if having loads ( nearly 200 gb) of photoscenery is having an effect? Will it benefit me to leave areas I am not flying in unchecked in the scenery llibrary? I have my FSX installon a separate raptor hard drive, OS on another Raptor and most of my scenery and addons on the same drive as FSX. I have followed NickN's set up guide and am a loss as what is causing my issues.At the moment I am considering uninstalling it all again and starting from scratch, but that seems silly until I can identify the problem..My Pc should be capable of running FSX fine on the settimngs I use, I have loads of memeory, a powerful graphics card. I am confused!!!By the wa, you may have noticed I have another thread relating to some graphics issues I was having after using the HDR mod anfd the framerate limiter. Since I uninstalled all my drivers, took out the mod, cleaned the system and re installed drivers, the symptoms have gone, althouh now, I have the issue with the memory error and the GUI slowdown.thx, Mark
Like me on several occasions on this forum, I miss the fact an individual has a 64 bit system. I see OOM and immediately respond. I didn't this time. As I recall, N4GIX wrote an excellent article on how to resolve OOM's in plain simple language. Sometimes individuals don't list their system specs and state they have an OOM and I'll respond and they'll hit me up with the fact they have a 64 bit system. Make me feel foolish for trying to help. So I hope you understand he didn't do it on purpose. He's extremely computer literate IMHO.Have you renamed or deleted the FSX config and restarted the sim? Perhaps a "tweak" or setting got corrupted. Check your scenery.cfg (the working one in C:/ProgramData) too. Since you had problems with the HDR mod, perhaps something is really amiss with your system. It works great for people with lessor systems. And you mention the frame rate limiter. I hope you eliminated that "mod" too. Also, make sure you have defragged recently. When you "cleaned the system" I'm wondering if you accidently deleted a needed registry entry or something like that. Also, make sure you are running FSX SP2 as the FSX.exe was modified by MS to "see" more than 2GB. You can still use SP1 but will have to hack the FSX.exe.In any case, you do have a good and updated system and you shouldn't be getting the OOM's when running FSX. I hope you can resolve your problem soon.Best regards,Jim

Guest UlfB
Mark,You have 4GB of RAM. My system uses 1.4 at the moment. Let' say that you have 2.6GB left to use.I guess the system needs to allocate RAM as texture buffers for your graphics card. I'm not sure, but with may last card BIOS allocated the same amount of RAM that my card used (768MB). If we assume that the same principle is at work with your GTX280, then anohter 1GB is used.So left for FSX is 1.6GB. And if the memory is fragmented, you may very well run out of memory because Vista can't allocate enough to FSX.When I start up FSX, load the PMDG 747, go to the different views to make sure all textures get loaded, FSX will use about 1.6GB RAM.I'm afraid that 4GB RAM might be on the limit. Hopefully an expert will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Fr. Bill    

Hi n4gix, thanks for the clarification, just a few questions before i dive in:Am I correct in assuming I only need to carry out the last bit titled"the following only applies to vista32 users"? ( the main bulk of the text relates to winxp?)Also, i just set up my page file as per NickN's instructions, with both sizes set at 3072.Does that make any difference? Is all I have to do:"Right click on command prompt from Start > All Programs > Accessories and select "Run as administrator". Enter this: BCDEDIT /set increaseuserva 2560 -or- BCDEDIT /set increaseuserva 3072 as desired. In other words, choose the size you wish to allocate. "And would I use 3072 ?Sorry for all the questions, but my skill level is somewhat below yours!!!!!thx, mark

Mark,You have 4GB of RAM. I'm afraid that 4GB RAM might be on the limit. Hopefully an expert will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.
Hey Ulf,I'm no expert... but the issue here is not the RAM size...Read the thread, and you'll see that the bottleneck is address space, confusing yes, but not the same as real memory.. :(

Bert

Fr. Bill    

Guest UlfB
Hey Ulf,I'm no expert... but the issue here is not the RAM size...Read the thread, and you'll see that the bottleneck is address space, confusing yes, but not the same as real memory.. :(
Bert,So the only explanation is that the OP is running FSX SP1 and not SP2 which may adress more memory.You say 4GB or 6GB doesn't matter. If he's running Vista 64, why don't I have these problems with OOMs? Some factor is missing in the equation.Edited: On more question. If 4GB or 6GB RAM doesn't matter, why does a 64 bit OS cure the OOM problem?Ulf B

Bert,So the only explanation is that the OP is running FSX SP1 and not SP2 which may adress more memory.You say 4GB or 6GB doesn't matter. If he's running Vista 64, why don't I have these problems with OOMs? Some factor is missing in the equation.Edited: On more question. If 4GB or 6GB RAM doesn't matter, why does a 64 bit OS cure the OOM problem?Ulf B
Ulf, who knows what pushes any PC over the edge... I've had OOM problems on my system and they went away when I set the /3GB parameter. Try reading the MS articles that Bill references.. It would appear that with a 64bit OS, you can choose up to 4GB of address space for a 32 bit application, and it does not compete for space with the OS. That is very different from a 32 bit OS where the application and the OS somehow have to share 4GB and you, the user, get to pick the optimum division between application space and OS space (which includes the video buffer). Hence the recommendation for 2560 which is more than the default 2GB, but not so much that you starve the OS.

Bert