Sign in to follow this  
markturner

Error-your computer has run out of available memory

Hi guys, i have done the cmd line change and used 3072 setting. Everything seems ok so far, but will need to do some testing over the next few days to make sure.I have also added to my knowledge, so thanks a lot for the advice!! Oh, and i am running accelaration version of FSX, so it should see the memory ok. I was also going to swap out 2 of my sticks of RAM for 2GB ones, so I will have 6GB. Do you think this will help, for loading textures if nothing else?And one last question, I have shedloads of photoscenery, does that move the goalposts in the waythat FSX loads and holds textures? Is more or less memory good in this scenario? FSX is on its own raptor, with the photscenery on the same drive in differwent folders. My OS is on its own raptor. thx, Mark

And one last question, I have shedloads of photoscenery, does that move the goalposts in the waythat FSX loads and holds textures?
Yes, obviously it strains the system the more add-on scenery you have installed.If texture loading times are a problem (sounds odd) the next level you could look at is setting up a RAID array of multiple disks to increase input/output speeds. I've heard they can really boost loading times, especially if you have a lot of addon scenery loading going on.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID + loads of tutorials on RAID all over the net

Guest UlfB
Hi guys, i have done the cmd line change and used 3072 setting. Everything seems ok so far, but will need to do some testing over the next few days to make sure.I have also added to my knowledge, so thanks a lot for the advice!! Oh, and i am running accelaration version of FSX, so it should see the memory ok. I was also going to swap out 2 of my sticks of RAM for 2GB ones, so I will have 6GB. Do you think this will help, for loading textures if nothing else?And one last question, I have shedloads of photoscenery, does that move the goalposts in the waythat FSX loads and holds textures? Is more or less memory good in this scenario? FSX is on its own raptor, with the photscenery on the same drive in differwent folders. My OS is on its own raptor. thx, Mark
Mark,The use of bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA nnnn on a Vista 64 bit OS is not needed!Nick Needham, who's an expert has posted on this: http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...?num=1208959973Scroll down and you'll find a post "USING MORE/LESS or EQUAL to 2GIGS OF SYSTEM MEMORY IN WINDOWS XP x32 OR VISTA X32 with OOM".If you use 6GB RAM I guess your problems will be solved.

EDIT: 05/06/09 - Post Removed by Owner

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest UlfB
Nick is a good friend of mine, but in this instance he is incorrect:I've already posted the reaon why (which is stated by Microsoft). When running any 32bit application under Vista x64, it is loaded under the WOW32 kernal. Because of this, it will behave precisely as though it were running under Vista x32. The only real difference being that under Vista x64/WOW32, the maximum VAS table increases from 3MB to 4MB if one (re)sets the boundary between the Application-slice and the OS-slice.http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspxInterestingly enough, even 64bit applications running under Vista x64 are limited to only 2 GB with IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE cleared... :(
Bill,Thanks for the information. I stand corrected. I'll apply the tweak immediately!

Guest Nick_N
Nick is a good friend of mine, but in this instance he is incorrect:I've already posted the reaon why (which is stated by Microsoft). When running any 32bit application under Vista x64, it is loaded under the WOW32 kernal. Because of this, it will behave precisely as though it were running under Vista x32. The only real difference being that under Vista x64/WOW32, the maximum VAS table increases from 3MB to 4MB if one (re)sets the boundary between the Application-slice and the OS-slice.http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspxInterestingly enough, even 64bit applications running under Vista x64 are limited to only 2 GB with IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE cleared... :( Well, how about that! Actually, as you've no doubt noticed, it takes all of 30 seconds or so to set the flags, and it is easily reversable... :(
BillWhat I posted is not incorrect.. it simply left out what I consider the wrong way of dealing with the situation There are 4 very good reasons why I did not mark my posts for the extenuating circumstance of Vista 64 and OOM1. WindowsXP x64 will not recognize the 3GB switch or USERVA so it can not be done with XP. In the case of XP x64 marking FSX RTM/SP1 with the LARGE ADDRESS WARE flag has been the solution for the issue. 2. Vista will allow tuning however on the rare occasion that MAY come up with V64 is usually if the user is not using SP2. SP2 is IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE set. Otherwise it is very rare to see that issue although it may still appear if the right circumstances are in place. 3. If the user is not seeing OOM on a 64bit OS they DO NOT need to adjust that value. 4. I would make sure before suggesting that value be increased the user is not seeing some kind of issue with a bug in scenery first.In the event the issue appears and the user is on FSX SP1 and Vist64 I would suggest they manually mark FSX.exe SP1 IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE set and verify addon intergity before increasing the value. I would only make that address space edit a last resort with V64 and marked FSX SP1/or SP2.I did not want everyone marking their 64bit Vista OS for something that was not needed, or, could be resolved the right way with marking fsx.exe SP1 or checking for a offending addon.. and especially in a 64bit OS that may not be dedicated to MSFS use alone. I have in the past suggested editing Vista64 when the right circumstances were reported, again.. very rare and something I usually do in PM so everyone does not jump on my post assuming it will make their frames go up and start changing things in their OS they really should not be messing with..The process for making FSX RTM/SP1 LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE set (SP2/Acceleration DOES NOT NEED THIS)http://www.ntcore.com/exsuite.php <------------ download, installMake a backup of the FSX.exe file in the main Flight Simulator folder and place it somewhere safe. Using CFF Explorer browse to FSX.exe and open it in the application. (FILE

BillWhat I posted is not incorrect.. it simply left out what I consider the wrong way of dealing with the situation
Okay, fair enough, make it "incomplete" then... I learn more every day, Nick! :(

Fr. Bill    

Guest Nick_N
Okay, fair enough, make it "incomplete" then... I learn more every day, Nick! :(
LOL!"incomplete' works for me. Guilty as charged! :( I would much prefer when that rare situation come up people take the right steps in resolving the issue. The OP saw this with photo scenery and with a SP2/Acceleration install I would rather the user confirm the addon(s) first before editing userva and also let them know if their system is not dedicated to MSFS they need to keep in mind they adjusted userva in case another program may complain. One of the advantages to XP x32 is the user could create a defined boot.ini specifically for FSX use as you pointed out in your excellent write-up. Since his FSX install is LARGE ADDRESS AWARE there must be something placing one heck of a footprint on that system to OOMIf he sees it again he should start eliminating addons one by one till the culprit becomes obvious. Once it shows up I would approach the developer about the issue. There has been only 1 instance when I suggested the use of userva in Vista64/FSXSP2 and that was because the user refused to not use the addon causing the OOM. I never heard anything more about it other than the issue had appeard to be gone a day later so I do not know if the OOM returned or if the userva change worked. Not to say it does not happen more.. but of the 25 or so I have been asked to review with the exception of the one they were all SP1 and resolved with editing fsx.exe

Guest Nick_N

BillI just came across this in the hardware forumhttp://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=249527and this here in the FSX forum: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=249093the OP is having some serious problems that need to be addressed This one is quite off the wall and loaded with issues Inexperienced overclocking at work (my buddy set this up) and with the issues I see a possible corrupt OS.. along with error that should have nothing to do with the install/removal of the HDR tweak or FSP limiter <---- NO NO with photo scenery... and especially bufferpools @ 490000000 when there is no sign of audio crackle problems (and even if there is) is quite excessive and if the OS is trashed it will bring on all sorts of issues OOM included.. not to mention a few other things I see with the hardware itself and will try to addess in hardware as I have time :(

Hi NickN, N4Gix, thx for the input, but I am more confused now. so I understand from your replies that basically the edit should not be required as my install is SP2 and so is already large address aware? OR do you still have to manually set the large address space as you described with the command line? BTW, I have removed the buffer pools line from my config file and have run the sim once, it seems ok. Over the course of the next few days, I will not do any further meddling, just run up the sim and see if its more stable and I get any further manifestations of trouble. BY that time, hopefully Nick will have had time to look into things a bit more. When I get in tonight, I will post as many details as I can about the system including my config file.One other piece of info i think all concerned should be aware of is that I did also try using FSautostart to start the sim , with some services disabled. I had some problems in that it froze a few times and may not have turned all services back on. I set it turn off and restart some services that I could see from the recommendation list that were ok to stop, like print spooler etc, I dont think I set any critical ones off, but you never know. I will also try and screenshot my services window for your inspection, in case there is some problems there. I am not using this programme any more BTW. My addons are many and varied, is there any place particular I should look for problems?Thx, Mark

Guest Nick_N
Hi NickN, N4Gix, thx for the input, but I am more confused now. so I understand from your replies that basically the edit should not be required as my install is SP2 and so is already large address aware? OR do you still have to manually set the large address space as you described with the command line? BTW, I have removed the buffer pools line from my config file and have run the sim once, it seems ok. Over the course of the next few days, I will not do any further meddling, just run up the sim and see if its more stable and I get any further manifestations of trouble. BY that time, hopefully Nick will have had time to look into things a bit more. When I get in tonight, I will post as many details as I can about the system including my config file.One other piece of info i think all concerned should be aware of is that I did also try using FSautostart to start the sim , with some services disabled. I had some problems in that it froze a few times and may not have turned all services back on. I set it turn off and restart some services that I could see from the recommendation list that were ok to stop, like print spooler etc, I dont think I set any critical ones off, but you never know. I will also try and screenshot my services window for your inspection, in case there is some problems there. I am not using this programme any more BTW. My addons are many and varied, is there any place particular I should look for problems?Thx, Mark
MarkYou do not need to do anything with FSX.exe. You have hardware issues and most likely they are tied back to your clock and 1st generation DDR3 1800 memory in which to run 1800 you must overclock. OCZ DDR3 1800 is well known for requiring special BIOS settings most people, even mildly experienced overclockers, do not understand nor do they understand how to test and set up to run 1800 stable. With 1st generation DDR3 OCZ frowns on DDR3 1800 @ 2x2GB and the chipsets of the past due to the issues in BIOS tuning when running 1600 and above with their products. Tony at OCZ explained that here: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/sh...ead.php?t=38358http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/sh...ead.php?t=40747If your buddy did not set that BIOS/clock up just right above DDR3 1600 you can expect all kinds of problems with stability and performanceThe problem is with you as someone who is not experienced with computers I do not know if I can successfully walk you through a complete check and setup of something like that. Its not a matter of "set this" and everything works.. there are tests involved which require tuning of GTL and SKEW during the tests and even if all those test show good, you can STILL see issues in 3D applications that require fine tuning.Case in point with DDR3 1800: http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...?num=1225569427In his case at first he was crashing in load tests but later after we went through it all, including a BIOS update for his board, the load tests completed without error but he still had FSX stability issues in which we had to then go through fine tuning of NB/CPU/MEM SKEW, CPU/NB GTL With 1st generation DDR3 a user needs to be very experienced to set up and run 2x2GB DDR3 1800+. There are some fortunate enough to plug-n-go however that is not usually the case and is why Tony at OCZ posted what he did. You are much better off using DDR3 1600 memory as it is much easier to deal withLets deal with this over at the hardware forum in your other thread where this issue belongs. I think you may be dealing with unstable memory which would account for slowdowns, strange crashes, and may very well have corrupted software installs as well.As for an addon causing OOM.. the next time OOM happens you need to note exactly what addon you were flying over when the OOM appeared. You said this happened flying over photo scenery. If that is the case and you see the OOM again over the same scenery, reboot, disable that scenery in the FSX scenery library and fly the same area again to confirm the OOM is gone. Same goes for any other OOM you may see. Look at the addons present in the scene when it happens and confirm by disabling them one by one till it stops.

BillI just came across this in the hardware forum
Ah! With that in hand, I now bow out of the conversation. This combination is well outside my area of expertise... :(

Fr. Bill    

Guest Nick_N
thx Nick, heading over to the hardware forum now...
Downclocking 1800 sticks requires tuning as well and you can't just set speed with them and assume stability or perf. Mixing sticks is a real no-no especially on Asus boards as they have dedicated slots for high/low speed memory too. If you have the memory in the wrong slots, or, you are tying to run more than 2 sticks you will pull your hair out trying to get 1800 sticks stable regardless of the speed. No problem.. lets try to keep it in one thread over there and no worries, one way or another we will get the problem resolved but you will most likely need to reinstall everything including the OS after. You would not be the first I have seen with corruption/performance problems trying to run DDR3 1800 without careful setup and tuning

N4Gix, just wanted to tell you that windows uses the WOW64 kernel to run 32-bit applications and WOW32 to run 16 bit applications. Therefore since FSX is 32bit, it uses WOW64 (for those that don't know it Windows on Windows 64). Hope you don't take this the wrong way :(, just wanted to clear it up incase someone googled it, or so it doesn't become misused :(