Sign in to follow this  
Guest gooper

whst are your favorite GA airports?

Guest gooper

having just purchased the Realair duke after only flying the heavy stuff for the last few years I would like to know what are some of the nicest/most challenging smaller airports that you guys fly into and , if they are available as add-0n sceneries.....would like to explore some of those hidden jewels with this magnificent aircraft :)

My vote would go for one of Aerosoft's German Airfields series. Island Hopping is a good one, as is Lower Saxony. 15 or so GA airports per pack, about 4 to 6 of them done in really very fine detail. Some include sounds, birds, all have people and other GA aircraft around and all have photorealistic buildings. These combined with the appropriate VFR German photoscenery and you have some awesome vfr flying. Hopping from one to other other, quick 30min, great stuff. VFR Germany South is out which covers the German section of the Alps which is vfr heaven but the German Airfields for this area are still under construction. These are not challenging airports in any way, just fantastic detail and great "atmosphere". LuklaX (and Mount Everest) is both nice and certainly challenging. Also by Aerosoft.Konrad

Konrad

Every once in a while I would choose an airport at random from Doherty's list (http://www.simtours.net/ddda.php) and plan a quick route to it (or die trying). His list is enough to last you several years worth of challenging simming. The unlisted OZ X airports are fun too, and will give you a brain hemorrhage just trying to find them with weather switched on. Having said all of that my all time favourite GA airport is Skagway, Alaska.

If I'm allowed to vote for my own, Enstone (EGTN) is a nice little GA field, available here in the library :( Lots of detail & very accurate. Works well with UK photo scenery, and also with default/UTXEta818.th.jpg

Guest jshyluk

I never get tired of answering this topic.My favourite fields are Pitt Meadows, Langley, and Abbotsford in the Vancouver region (Canada). Others rave over Boundary Bay, which is also sweet. These fields look extraordinary in Vancouver+ scenery. You can also get Victoria+ as freeware. I also like Savage Island in Vermont, Montego Bay in Jamaica, and Jasper Ridge, which is near Springfield, Oregon. Castlegar (in British Columbia, Canada) and Lugano, Switzerland provide mountainous thrills. Vale, Colorado is pretty intense in the weather. Jeff Shyluk Senior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

I never get tired of answering this topic.My favourite fields are Pitt Meadows, Langley, and Abbotsford in the Vancouver region (Canada). Others rave over Boundary Bay, which is also sweet. These fields look extraordinary in Vancouver+ scenery. You can also get Victoria+ as freeware. I also like Savage Island in Vermont, Montego Bay in Jamaica, and Jasper Ridge, which is near Springfield, Oregon. Castlegar (in British Columbia, Canada) and Lugano, Switzerland provide mountainous thrills. Vale, Colorado is pretty intense in the weather. Jeff Shyluk Senior Staff ReviewerAVSIM
Hi Jeff,What scenery do you use for Montego Bay?Thanks.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

having just purchased the Realair duke after only flying the heavy stuff for the last few years I would like to know what are some of the nicest/most challenging smaller airports that you guys fly into and , if they are available as add-0n sceneries.....would like to explore some of those hidden jewels with this magnificent aircraft :)
I am going to nominate my own addon here at AVSIM Library under the name "Manny" 52F (Northwest regional) ! :( After installing the scenery, try the Mission that is included. Change the plane to Real Air and fly that mission. Nothing complicated...Just landing on runway 35 over the trees with the heavy thermals.VIDEOhttp://mannymanni.blip.tv/#1091262Download at AVSIM.COMThe file name = mm_52foxtrot_v1.ziphttp://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=...&CatID=rootPS: I am finding it difficult to get into the AVSIM library for some reason. Not sure if its my PC or the AVSIM library is down temporarily.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest PPSFA
My #1 is Telluride CO

If I'm allowed to vote for my own, Enstone (EGTN) is a nice little GA field, available here in the library :( Lots of detail & very accurate. Works well with UK photo scenery, and also with default/UTXEta818.th.jpg
Hi Tim.]thanks, I didn't know about this addon.Can you give me a link to the AVSIM library for this addon? And how far is this airport from Gatwick or London city? I fly mostly around London.ThanksManny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest jshyluk
Hi Jeff,What scenery do you use for Montego Bay?Thanks.
I use the default scenery. Much of the time, that's what I've got. I used to have FS Global 08 and Scenerytech's North American landclass, but I end up re-installing FSX every once in a while, so I am back to default scenery for that region. Default FSX really doesn't look a whole lot like the real Montego Bay (not as many deranged gunmen as in real life), but it is very pretty (apart from a wierd mesh issue near the runway), and it's a great springboard to tropical adventure. Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

I use the default scenery. Much of the time, that's what I've got. I used to have FS Global 08 and Scenerytech's North American landclass, but I end up re-installing FSX every once in a while, so I am back to default scenery for that region. Default FSX really doesn't look a whole lot like the real Montego Bay (not as many deranged gunmen as in real life), but it is very pretty (apart from a wierd mesh issue near the runway), and it's a great springboard to tropical adventure. Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM
Thanks, Jeff.Maybe someone comes up with a good scenery for Jamaica soon. The only one i could find is this:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=...p;CatID=fsxscenThats sure is a nice place for some VFR flying.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Guest jshyluk

I agree! Sun, surf, beach, mountains, resorts, ships, it's really something. Sangster Intl is one of those older airports that has a certain gritty charm (unless, of course, you were held hostage there). You could expect James Bond to be checking his "golf clubs" through customs, or Felix Leiter to be using the secret telephone with the scramble line. It's not a complicated airport, and you're five minutes way from the beach. An hour away in any direction, and you will find maybe a dozen places where the Bond films were made. Jamaica has crushing poverty and a very wealthy upper class, with a lot of intersting history and culture in between. There are places you don't want to go at night, and a few parts you wouldn't want to be caught in by day, either. However, if you're just a tourist and not intersted in making trouble, the locals are friendly, knowledgeable, and very straightforward. Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

My favorites are the ones from OZx without AFCAD: realistic nice bumpy bushrunways! Loads of them! You also really need FTX to get the most of them (they are made to fit in the FTX scenery, not in the awful default scenery). But er... you're flying the Duke, so I doubt if you should go there... In that case any FTX/Orbx/OZx Australian airport WITH AFCAD will do... :(

Hello Gents (and Ladies, if any there be!),I have to cast a vote to the Flytampa St. Maarten scenery package. The wonderfully created Saba, St. Maarten, and challenging St. Barts are a joy, the only one really not accessible for the Duke being Saba (too short, but fun to try anyway!!!). For me, there's nothing more relaxing than setting the time to dusk, turning down the engine sound, and playing some nice Bossa Nova music while flying from St. Maarten to St. Barts. Calgon, take me away!Paul