Sign in to follow this  
Guest nicboy

FSX standard or Deluxe or Gold

Guest nicboy

Hi, all:I decide to move to FSX, I know it is not stable as FS9, still I would liek to give it a try. My question is if I just buy standard version, is it enough, what the deluxe has but standard doesn't. I know deluxe has more plane but I don't fly those MSFS planes, I fly PMDG, so what ealse, do they have the same number of airports, the same graphics, and the same scenery? I know my question is too general, but please help me find out. Also, recently, a gold version is on sale, it includes FSX accelerator, someone says the FSX accelerator contains SP1, Sp2, which you can't get from elsewhere, is it true, can I just download from web. Otherwise, the accelerator doesn't attract me. Thanks.Nick

Guest UlfB
Hi, all:I decide to move to FSX, I know it is not stable as FS9, still I would liek to give it a try. My question is if I just buy standard version, is it enough, what the deluxe has but standard doesn't. I know deluxe has more plane but I don't fly those MSFS planes, I fly PMDG, so what ealse, do they have the same number of airports, the same graphics, and the same scenery? I know my question is too general, but please help me find out. Also, recently, a gold version is on sale, it includes FSX accelerator, someone says the FSX accelerator contains SP1, Sp2, which you can't get from elsewhere, is it true, can I just download from web. Otherwise, the accelerator doesn't attract me. Thanks.Nick
Nick,Downloads for SP1 and SP2: http://www.fsinsider.com/downloads/Pages/default.aspxFSX Deluxe also comes with a SDK. If you want to use the SDK tools, such as TrafficToolbox and the BGL compiler, you should go for the Deluxe version. If you stick with FSX you probably will regret a purchase of the standard edition. The scenery and graphics are the same.Visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_X to read more about FSX and the difference between the two versions.

Guest Thaellar

Forget standard entirely. Your question now is Deluxe or Gold. Gold gives you a one-shot install that includes SPs and since you say you can get it onsale, if it's close to the price of Deluxe, I would do it. If there is a price differential significant to you then Deluxe is the ticket. Please, please don't consider the standard version. A future addon will make you regret it.Thaellar

Forget standard entirely. Your question now is Deluxe or Gold. Gold gives you a one-shot install that includes SPs and since you say you can get it onsale, if it's close to the price of Deluxe, I would do it. If there is a price differential significant to you then Deluxe is the ticket. Please, please don't consider the standard version. A future addon will make you regret it.Thaellar
Go for the Gold, $37 at Fry's Electronics this week...

Guest nicboy

Thank you all for answering, however, i still don't get why Standard is not a good choice, I don't know how to use SDK or BGL, what is the real difference here if don't consider SDK or BGL builder, I don't make any scenery or aircraft for my self. therefore, I don't see why not choose standard. Someone said I would regret, why, later add-on can apply to standard FSX? it is not clear. please someone make more sense to me. for the GOLD, since one person here pointed out of download upgrade, I guess GOLD is not neccesary, what's your suggestion. Thanks a lot.Nick

Guest KenS
Thank you all for answering, however, i still don't get why Standard is not a good choice, I don't know how to use SDK or BGL, what is the real difference here if don't consider SDK or BGL builder, I don't make any scenery or aircraft for my self. therefore, I don't see why not choose standard. Someone said I would regret, why, later add-on can apply to standard FSX? it is not clear. please someone make more sense to me. for the GOLD, since one person here pointed out of download upgrade, I guess GOLD is not neccesary, what's your suggestion. Thanks a lot.Nick

Guest jshyluk

The standard edition of FSX is fine. The moment you want to add anything to it, you will most likely need SP1 + SP2. I could probably make my own DVD using a drink coaster and an icepick faster than it takes to download SP1 + SP2, but the downloads are free. Purchasing the Gold version will save you time and bandwidth, as it is the most recent version. However, it is more expensive than Standard. In most places I have seen the price difference is roughly the same as a fancy cup of coffee. Basically, if you can afford one, you should be able to afford the other.Deluxe has more flyable aircraft than Standard, but you aren't interested in that, so the point is irrelevant. Although from my point of view, there's way more to Flight Sim than shuttling a 747. Should you decide you want some GA goodness, and you don't want to pay money for extras, the default aircraft are a lot of fun. Acceleration/Gold comes with three more fun aircraft (which you aren't looking for), the aircraft carrier (not the best thing for PMDG), more Missions (again fun, but again not related to PMDG), and scenery enhancements to Edwards Air Force Base and Istanbul (not Constantinople). You could fly a 747 jumbo jet from Turkey to Area 51 to use the Gold scenery. There's a pretty good entry on FSX in Wikipedia that explains the differences between the products so you can decide for yourself. No matter what you chose, I wish you happy sim flying!Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Dont buy the standard version.I did on the day FSX was released....the offer at my local pc world (england) was to good to miss at the time

I'd opt for Gold myself, that Agusta-Westland EH-101 and the F-18 w/ Carrier landings are worth the price alone IMO.

Guest RonB49
Hi Nick,Let me give you one example of why you should get the Gold. It involves this question that you ask: ". . . why, later add-on can apply to standard FSX?" Most freeware add-on aircraft use the default gauges that come with MSFS. If you do not have the extra planes that you get with the Deluxe and Gold editions, then you will not have the gauges that you need to use those free add-ons.That is only one example. I predict that if you buy the Standard edition, that you will be sorry in the future. Do yourself a favor and go for the Gold. I am a 70-year old with limited money to spend on this hobby but, when offered, I have always bought the premium editions of flight sim and I've never been sorry.R-

I just ordered a copy of the Deluxe from Amazon for only $25.I wanted a back up copy and key, just in case.SP1 & SP2 can be downloaded from FSX site.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I am doing just fine with the Standard, purchased a few months ago for $12. Downloaded and installed SP1 and SP2. I don't care for G1000, and extra features that Deluxe offers, I only fly high end aircraft addons that come with their own gauges.

If you already have FSX and acceleration there is no point in getting the Gold edition...Right?I mean, even with the Gold edition, you have install the SDK 1 and then uninstall it before the SDK acceleration and what not. Its not like its a single Install and be done with it.Initially I thought of gettng the "Gold " edition just to get around the SP1 and SP2 and SDK 1 and SDK2 sequencing mess, but to my understanding this Gold edition has not solved that primary installation issue.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter