Sign in to follow this  
ZippinZim

FS9 won't start after installing Power Director

Hi all. I've tried twice now, but it appears that installing Cyberlink Power Director 7 (video editing software) causes FS9 to refuse to start up. I get the FS9 splash screen, but then after a few seconde is disappears and the sim doesn't launch. I did a system restore and FS9 worked fine. So I created a system restore point and again installed Power Director. And again, I have the same problem right away. FS9 was the first thing I tried to run after installing Power Director, so I know it's not something other than Power Director conflicting. I am running:Vista 644GB RAMPentium E7400 on a Gigabyte MotherboardnVidia GeForce 8800 GT (two of them running three screens)Any ideas? Thanks for the help!Jeff

Guest belga1

Hello,

Any ideas?
yes .. and sooo simple.Use a other Video editing software .. or use FS2004 on a hard disk where Power Director is not installed or vice-versa ....Regards.bye.gif

Hello,yes .. and sooo simple.Use a other Video editing software .. or use FS2004 on a hard disk where Power Director is not installed or vice-versa ....Regards.bye.gif
Is your answer based on either having or hearing of other issues such as this, or simply based on common sense? I'm not trying to be rude, but is there a known conflict between the two programs or are you simply suggesting another editing software MAY be more compatible? Thanks for the response.Jeff

JeffI once had an older version of Power Director and FS9 together on my XP machine with no problems. We may need to know more about your setup.On my Vista rig, I never install any major program to the default Program Folder location. Just too many problems. I either install to a different drive or a different folder on the C: drive. Mine is called "programs". I turn off my anti virus during video editing, sometimes for FS also. BTW, I now use Pinnacle for video work. Excellent, and not expensive, and made for Vista.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest belga1

Hello,

Is your answer based on either having or hearing of other issues such as this, or simply based on common sense?
Common sens of course...I don't know any conflict with your proggy and FS2004 as I never read any about it and myself don't use the video editing proggy you use..But anyways (as your experiments show) YOU on YOUR installation have a conflict.Common sens (and matter of time and knowledge) dictate a change of software or it's use in a separate environement.That's will be (if I was concerned) my solution .. instead digging the webb (I googled your prob with no results) and have grey hairs :)Nevertheless .. you can also contact the video editing software help desk and ask if they have any knowledge about your particular problem before apply any solutions.Regards.bye.gif

Guest FengZ

i dont have this Power Director program, but try the follow:- after you've installed PD, does it auto-start it's own processes? (Check task-manager). If so, manually turn off the services and try FS9- it might be a codec problem? Video Editors love to take over the codecs of your machine. You can try installing something like the K-Lite Codec pack and resetting all your Codecs (sometimes necessary to make certain games work, such as my copy of Oblivion).- after you've installed PD, rename your FS9.cfg and then restart FS9. See if it starts up. If so, then copy/paste over anything you've edited in your old FS9.cfg- just for an interesting experiment. Start FS9 prior to installing PD, and then minimize FS9 (don't close it), and install PD. Then shutdown FS9 and try to restart it (by keeping FS9 running, it'll write to disk all the proper settings during shutdown)see if any of that helps-feng

i dont have this Power Director program, but try the follow:- after you've installed PD, does it auto-start it's own processes? (Check task-manager). If so, manually turn off the services and try FS9- it might be a codec problem? Video Editors love to take over the codecs of your machine. You can try installing something like the K-Lite Codec pack and resetting all your Codecs (sometimes necessary to make certain games work, such as my copy of Oblivion).- after you've installed PD, rename your FS9.cfg and then restart FS9. See if it starts up. If so, then copy/paste over anything you've edited in your old FS9.cfg- just for an interesting experiment. Start FS9 prior to installing PD, and then minimize FS9 (don't close it), and install PD. Then shutdown FS9 and try to restart it (by keeping FS9 running, it'll write to disk all the proper settings during shutdown)see if any of that helps-feng
Feng,Thank you for your post. Great ideas and I fully expected one of them to work, but no joy. I didn't find any new processes running, and even re-booted and checked again. I figured it was a video issue (codec?), but being unfamiliar with codecs, I downloaded and installed k-lite as suggested. Still no joy.I renamed my fs9.cfg and tried to start the sim. The screen resolution changed as it was trying to start, so it's at least getting that far. But then again the splash screen went away and I was back at my desktop. The FS9.cfg file, the weather.bin file, are all updated with the time stamp of when I attempted to start, so it's something deeper. REALLY suspecting a video issue. here.I haven't tried your experiment yet, but again thinking it's a video issue, I wonder if it gives you any better ideas.Again, thank you SO MUCH for your help. I wanted to edit videos on this PC because it's so beefy due to my FS requirements.Jeff

JeffWhat does Event Viewer have to say and are all your drivers up to date? When did this problem start happening?Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest FengZ
Feng,Thank you for your post. Great ideas and I fully expected one of them to work, but no joy. I didn't find any new processes running, and even re-booted and checked again. I figured it was a video issue (codec?), but being unfamiliar with codecs, I downloaded and installed k-lite as suggested. Still no joy.I renamed my fs9.cfg and tried to start the sim. The screen resolution changed as it was trying to start, so it's at least getting that far. But then again the splash screen went away and I was back at my desktop. The FS9.cfg file, the weather.bin file, are all updated with the time stamp of when I attempted to start, so it's something deeper. REALLY suspecting a video issue. here.I haven't tried your experiment yet, but again thinking it's a video issue, I wonder if it gives you any better ideas.Again, thank you SO MUCH for your help. I wanted to edit videos on this PC because it's so beefy due to my FS requirements.Jeff
no problem. Too bad it's still not working.A crash w/out warning is usually a share violation crash. So, i still think that PD is installing a process which conflicts with FS9's video. Instead of using task manager, go to Run and type "services.msc" (without the quotes). Now click on the status twice to sort it and it should show you all the services that are currently running. Look through the names and check for anything which might look like a PD installed process. If you see any, double click on it and select stop.On my machine i only have 19 process running. If i turn off the non-default XP services such as Anti-virus, Firewall, and my Wacom drivers, it'll only have 15 process running (XP only needs these to run). It helps to always know which process are running...because these days, every software likes to install "call home" type of services...and in most cases, you can turn them all off w/out any problems at all...and it'll make your machine run super fast and you'll rarely experience any crashes. -feng

no problem. Too bad it's still not working.A crash w/out warning is usually a share violation crash. So, i still think that PD is installing a process which conflicts with FS9's video. Instead of using task manager, go to Run and type "services.msc" (without the quotes). Now click on the status twice to sort it and it should show you all the services that are currently running. Look through the names and check for anything which might look like a PD installed process. If you see any, double click on it and select stop.On my machine i only have 19 process running. If i turn off the non-default XP services such as Anti-virus, Firewall, and my Wacom drivers, it'll only have 15 process running (XP only needs these to run). It helps to always know which process are running...because these days, every software likes to install "call home" type of services...and in most cases, you can turn them all off w/out any problems at all...and it'll make your machine run super fast and you'll rarely experience any crashes. -feng
Thanks again, Feng. I did find a running process that was PD related, so I stopped it. It didn't correct the problem, though. I've exported and attached a list of my processes (quite lengthy, and tab delimited so use a spreadsheet program) in case you had a couple minutes to browse through. I already owe you big time, so thanks again.Jeff

JeffWhat does Event Viewer have to say and are all your drivers up to date? When did this problem start happening?Bob
Bob,Event viewer doesn't seem to be logging a problem at the times that I've launched FS9. I'm not terribly familiar with the event viewer, but I've browsed through most of the logs and haven't noticed anything with a time stamp matching a launch attempt. The problem started as soon as I installed Power Director. I know I can fix the system by restoring to the point I set right before installation, but I'd REALLY like to have both programs available on the same computer. I have to believe there's a simple fix for it, but what do I know? Thanks for your help as well!

Well, I uninstalled PD and (without restarting) I tried to launch FS2004. Guess what? It worked just fine and launched. So I've proven again the problem is PD. That's about all I've proven though.