Sign in to follow this  
markturner

help with autopilot and gps please

Hi, I wonder if some you guys can help me out here. I am attempting to learn to use the GPS and autopilot systems, and have a problem getting the auto pilot to function as it should. I have read the knowledge base in the game and think I understand, but when I implement, it does not work, so I must be missing some simple thing. What I do is as follows: I make a flight plan, using the direct-gps option, save it and go to fly. I am using the duke and in cockpit I turn on the gps, the flight plan shows as a purple line on the GPS. I turn the Nav gps switch to GPS position, take off and put the plane on the line of the flight plan. Then I press the Nav button on the autopilot, and turn the auto pilot on. The system engages ( Ie, moving the stick has no effect ), but the plane does not seem to follow the line, or change direction at the next waypoint. I have tried toggling the OBS button, seemed to make no difference. Please could someone who knows give me a simple, step by step instruction to get this working? Thank you

Hi Mark,If I'm not mistaken, I think you are very close. I don't have the Duke, but I expect it's AP funtions much like those of other aircraft. I think your problem is with the order in which you press the AP buttons. You've entered your flight plan correctly; when you look on the GPS at the start of your flight you see the magenta line which you follow to get to your destination.You can switch the NAV/GPS mode to GPS anytime before you engage your AP, and before you take off is as good a time as any. When you get in the air you hit the AP master button on your autopilot first, then you hit the NAV button, so you've only got the order back to front.You could hit other buttons, such as the HDG one for heading or the APR one to get the AP to follow the glide slope down to the threshold, but in any case the AP master switch is activated first.

Mike Beckwith

Mark is right, turn from NAV to GPS, then turn on the AP (autopilot), turn on the APR (approach button), then set alt., speed. your done, enjoy the flight.

Mark is right, turn from NAV to GPS, then turn on the AP (autopilot), turn on the APR (approach button), then set alt., speed. your done, enjoy the flight.
Thats done it guys, following the flight path nicely now, but O cant seem to get it climb to the desired height. I set the climb speed to 200 fpm and pressed alt, but it did not work. Any help with the last piece of the jigsaw!!!! Thx!!Now, all i gotta do is figure out the GPS....... :( :(

Now, all i gotta do is figure out the GPS....... :( :(
I found a lot of helpful vids on YouTube. Just search on 'FSX GPS' then watch and learn.Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

Although it depends on the avionics fitted, most GA autopilots need you to do three things to get the aircraft to climb or descend. You've got two of them, putting in a rate of climb and selecting alt, the third one would be putting in what altitude you want to go to.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

AAAAH, I thought it read that from the flight plan in the GPS, will give that a try as well. And thx for the tips on the GPS, love this forum, everyone is so helpful, thx again

Hmmmmm, I think I am having a Homer moment, I can get it to hold the selected altitude and follow the flight plan, but i cannot seem to get it to climb to the selected altitude. Could someone give me a step by step on this? I have tried every combination I could think of, but no joy.... thx, Mark

Hi, I wonder if some you guys can help me out here. I am attempting to learn to use the GPS and autopilot systems, and have a problem getting the auto pilot to function as it should. I have read the knowledge base in the game and think I understand, but when I implement, it does not work, so I must be missing some simple thing. What I do is as follows: I make a flight plan, using the direct-gps option, save it and go to fly. I am using the duke and in cockpit I turn on the gps, the flight plan shows as a purple line on the GPS. I turn the Nav gps switch to GPS position, take off and put the plane on the line of the flight plan. Then I press the Nav button on the autopilot, and turn the auto pilot on. The system engages ( Ie, moving the stick has no effect ), but the plane does not seem to follow the line, or change direction at the next waypoint. I have tried toggling the OBS button, seemed to make no difference. Please could someone who knows give me a simple, step by step instruction to get this working? Thank you
You said you read the knowledge base in the game-but did you read the manual on the autopilot included with the Duke's documentation? Autopilots work very specifically to model-so if you missed that you might want to give it a study.

Thx, you know, I had forgotten there was manuals for the autopilot, i did look at them when i got the plane, and as far as I remember, its really just a descriptor of the buttons, not a tutorial of how to use it. I will try the arm button. I guess if I fiddle with it long enough, it will work and I will realise what is required... !!!thx, Mark