Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vulcho

Free Courchevel Scenery and a great article!!!

Guest Vulcho

Apparently sloped runways are possible in FS2k2.I was @ the "other site" and read a great article on a Courchevel scenery. It links to another site for a complete download of the scenery.Check it out. Especailly good for bush flying and people who like challenges.Just thought I give you a heads up if you didn't already know about it.

I installed the scenery with the Lago mesh for eastern France and ran into a couple of problems. Searching for answers I just searched the Avsim forums for "Courchevel" and jumped in here :-)Here's my main problem -- the "runway" is so bumpy that most of my aircraft start dancing when I try to taxi. By going really gentle I may manage to get in position for a take-off without over-stressing the aircraft. However, the bumpy tarmac makes it very hard to pick up speed as I roll (well, dance and careen ;-)) down the hill. I haven't been able to take off gracefully as I always eject through a brown polygon at the end of this "ski jump" and drop into the valley. It's strange that FS2002 doesn't consider this to be a crash. Judging from real photos of the airport it might seem that we should have had a slightly longer flat segment below the slope and no ridge or obstruction at the end. This little ridge may make landings harder than they ought to be. Evidently, it's crucial to touch down on the flat part of the runway but it seems to be blocked. Actually, even the landings I could walk away from tend to be too "long", touching where the slope starts. I could really do with a few more yards of flat runway :-)I've tried various turboprops with soft gear (to limit the dancing) and little fuel (to reduce the weight / runway requirement). From what I've gleaned the bumpy runway is caused by the fact that there is no proper runway -- as FS is concerned we're landing on terrain. Then I assume that there's no way to "flatten" it or make it even. Well, not unless one could edit the mesh terrain in this area. If anyone has got this right (choice of aircraft, technique, flying or editing) please share it with us :-)best regards,Hans Petter

Guest draky

I had same problems but have seen another system with a lovelt slope and gradient changes to the runway - I have temporarily solved this with a flatten switch as follows:-Flatten.0=6570,N45 24.00,E006 38.25,N45 23.98,E006 38.28,N45 23.79,E006 38.07,N45 23.83,E006 38.00Feel free to try it until I solve the problem fully.

Guest Peter Sidoli

Do you have a link to the site where the scenery is available?Peter

Guest draky
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/bravomike/altiports2004.htmlThere you go!!! have fun but you will need to buy the France East mesh from Lago - it's quite cheap at about 5 Euro or so.... :)Also follow the install - rather complex as you have to downlaod all the textures separately and place em as per the instructions - well worth the effort though IMHOTry a look here if you have a keen interest in this region too:http://www.pilotlist.org/montagne/terrains.htmMore reading here:-http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?%24=main/feature/courch.htmand the real thing here:-http://www.dangerous-airports.com/airports/l/lflj.htm