Sign in to follow this  

Somewhat offended by Avsim...

This is by no means a slight against the author of EZ Landclass (great job Russel!), who gave me credit in his documentation as being inspiration for his work. But I have to ask why Avsim rated EZ Landclass a headline, when my program (Landclass Assistant - which has been out about a year) has not received one mention on Avsim's home page?Considering there's a fair amount of scenery in our library created with it, and the dedication I feel I've shown towards keeping it up to date and supporting people who use it, I am somewhat offended. I feel both programs deserve mention. I pretty much ignored this over the year--there's tons of deserving work released, and I know Avsim can't mention it all. But prior to my program, there was no intuitive way to update landclass, other than through payware.... At any rate, I thank the users who have supported me and who have acknowledged my work over the past year. Regards,John

Dear John, please accept my personal thanks for your excellent application and those derived from it. My own experience is that sites like avsim, and others, have so much material to review, that the fact that they highlighted the application they did may well come down to the fact that they got a "press release" stating its benefits. These sites are run by multiple editors and writers and if its a slow news day...sometimes you hit a headline. I would not take it as a slight. Im sure both applications are worthy of credit. In any case, you stuff rocks. take that for what its worth.Best,Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Thanks Eric--that probably makes the most sense. I never thought of presenting a press release. I just quietly went about the release--other than trumpeting my own horn in the forums, that is. And I have to admit, I am Landclass Assistant's number 1 fan.... I've been able to really give FS a personal look with it, adding all the places I'd either grown up in, lived in, or worked in over the years. Having others add their own touch to MSFS with it means a lot to me, as do posts like yours...Regards,John

Hi John.I also think "tooting your own horn" may be a key to getting mention on the front page. :)Freeware scenery design tools have far outpaced what most simmers would be familiar with. So I wouldn't be surprised if many tools and advances in design go unnoticed by AVSIM's editors. For example, not many headlines about Christian Stock's TMF Manual or ground-braking research, but it is the foundation of much of what we will be doing over the next few years in scenery design.So, you're in good company. ;)I also think your stuff rocks!Dick

Hey John, I have to agree with Dick and Eric on this one. I think you have done a great amount for the advancement for design along with a few others (including Dick).Next time you post an update include a repaint of the Meljet or a POSKY model, that should help! ;-)Regards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

Best, Michael

KDFW

like the others, I agree that Avsim uses its headline to simply parrot what press releases they get. Sometimes very weak software gets headlined like its special. Bob Bernstein

>like the others, I agree that Avsim uses its headline to>simply parrot what press releases they get. Sometimes very>weak software gets headlined like its special. Care to mention any "weak software" Bob? How would you rate your software? Come on, put your money where your mouth is...(see how dangerous it can be to be make uncalled-for negative comments, it can come back to bite you on the bum)A press release, as the name suggests, is released from somewhere, usually by the one(s) offering the software. As the above-mentioned post says: "Russel Dirks informs us..." Until late, I like most assumed that AVSIM watched and reported, but then recently I received an email from an editor offering to post a news item for us and it dawned on me that the AVSIM team make this service available to all and I don't see where the criticism applies. So John, I know what you mean, I am the same as you and have never "trumpeted" but then I came to the realisation "How will they know?". Eg. I didn't know you were the autor of Lanclass Assistant (but have used many files made with it) and I am glad to know now it was you. This has been for me the single most important upgrade ever made to FS2002 (together with high-res mesh). Brilliant work!Please be sure to take the initiative to post a news item of your next release, if it is anything like Landclass Assistant the FS world stands to loose if you don't. Fermin - fsadventures.net][/b

John, as some in this thread have suggested, we do use press releases from authors to generate news. We also, when time allows, go out and actually "find" news too. But as we are a totally volunteer organization, with real life demands on all of us, we are not perfect by any means. So, please don't feel slighted by our lack of reporting on your Landclass Assistant. It was not intended. And, as others suggest, the next time you have something to release, please do send a "press release" to srstaff@avsim.com and it will get reveiwed and posted.

Fermin, you tryin to make trouble, eh? LOLI seem to remember that you tried to put me down cuz I wasn't familier with an important person in fs (Ralph Zimmerman)....lol....seems you didn't know John wrote landclass assistant. Karma in your face! LOLMy software? <Well, you've not read of my name in headlines either, cuz..like you..I don't make my contributions for the sake of notoriety. In fact, I design scenery for fun. I do it for myself and if others like it, that's awesome. Each time I release a scenery, I get a large volume of mail thanking me, some of it from longtime regulars. My rating myself would be a bit unseemly...I'll let you do that for me, or perhaps other pilots who like my work.Cheers,Bob Bernstein

Guest Claviateur

I myslef too, sent a couple of times news about my freeware scenery and did not get the news on the front page. I think not all of them make it to the front for some reason and unfortunatlyMichel

Bob, glad to see you understood the first paragraph was is in jest.I actually like your photo-real scenery so keep up to good work.Fermin - fsadventures.net][/b