Sign in to follow this  

Another review of CoF

Guest Lizardo

Gary Baum spent an hour looking over CoF at E3, his review of menus & scenery (it's 21mb) is fs2004e3.zip www.flightsim.com

Thanks for the info. I searched, but can't find the file on flighsim.com site.Gig

Guest sssummer

It's in the new files section.

Guest firehawk44

SSSummers beat me to the response.It's located in the "newest files" section for May 15th. Jim

Its in the new files section.Having a look at it myself some of the menus looked quite interesting.The hardware tab options had more settings.There was some interesting ones there. One being render to texture whatever that meant and filtering which is bilinear and trilinear etc which is the same as before with anti aliasing, T&L and number of lights still remaining and one that also stood out was the mip mapping quality slider which might be for antiosoptric filtering (sorry if spelt wrong) and a global maximum texture size slider which was set on massive. Maybe this is so that it uses your graphics card for texture storage maybe??It looked like they had also used a Geforce FX 5900 Ultra to show the game off so I bet it played pretty well which wont help gauge the performance if you have a lower end PC.Most of the shots are of the menus and some ingame shots. A few of the ingame shots were over los angeles Airport I think and they showed the new high detailed textures for the ground which looked nice and also the water had better reflections and the clouds looked nicer.Its a big download though mainly as the jpeg images are very large in file size.Have a look if you can.Craig Kiltie

Thank you guys. Finally found it. I think I need another cup of coffee - tough morning I guess.Gig.

Guest Lizardo

Haha..I noticed their target frame rate was 30. They don't have any better luck that I have, haha.

Hi, Thanks for the links, the only that's are not mentionned, if it is still in alpha, and it's really a difference, normaly every Msfs show at E3, are in alpha stage.Graphics option in fs2004:Hardware Rendering Option-Rendering to texture-Transform and Lightning-Anti Aliazing-Filtering, (Bilinear, Trilinear)-MIP mapping quality slider-Hardware rendering lights slider-Global max texture size sliderThere is aircraft, scenery annd weather setting display also.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

"-Global max texture size slider"I believe this may already correspond to the existing texture size slider in FS2002. You can intentionally "blur" your textures by limiting 2002's max texture size, with a slight improvement in performance. I never found a need for using the slider."-Rendering to texture-MIP mapping quality slider"These two sound interesting.... Can't wait to hear more. One can guess that the second may provide something comparable to LOD, but the first? Hmmmmmmm.....-John

Hi John,One can guess that the second may provide something comparable to LOD, but the first? Hmmmmmmm.....-Rendering to texture- I don't know, Can by disabling the dynamic texture system or mip map off or simply not add rendering to the texture it self. Simple Speculation hereMIP map slider quality look like LOD BIAS inside fs2004..There is now inside for each aircraft, the GRAPHICAL FUEL AND PAYLOAD interface setting including the 3d aircraft in the graphics:-Payload-Station_______________ PoundsPilot_________________ xxxxx Co-Pilot______________ xxxxxCrew__________________ xxxxxFirst Class___________ xxxxxBusinness Class_______ xxxxxUpper Deck____________ xxxxx______________________ TotalThe new fs2004 Map display now have a map in the background, in fs2002 it was 2d lined maps.If you want all screenshots, I have them resize them and the complete files is now 1.50 meg, compare to 28 meg too large shots from default.or the most important shots near 300 kb..ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest DanWalloch

I would like to know what the other PC specs were for the demo computer, yeah that 5900 Ultra isn't something we need or want to see. Very few of us have the actual cash to through out the door, some $400-500 for one videocard that will be outdated by this time next year or even soon. And I bet the the videocard was the 265MB card instead of the 128MB. I wish MS would display FS on both a high speed rig and a normal pc, P4 2.4Ghz, 512MB, 128MB videocard (this seems to be the average pc these days for FS.

Chris,Can you upload that 1.5MB to Avsim? I hope Avsim does some sort of review from E3 althought last year I don't think they did.

Eric 

Guest Tommy_TJ

Thanks for the heads-up. The picture I am impressed with the most is 00076.jpg. It's the one with the weather themes showing the thunderstorm theme. The picture of the thunderstorm appears to be from FS2004 (Autogen trees and so on...) not just a generic thunderstorm picture. If so, I do like the new lightning graphic and effects. What do you all think?Tommy

Hi Tommy, like this one below without the lightning bold, the weather looks very realistic, I have saw tons of real weather situation and photo's very similar to fs2004._www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulator/img/weather/ss_20_lg_Dawn01.jpg_ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis