Sign in to follow this  

Another review of CoF

so your saying we now can change the weight and balance?Kilstorm

Hi,Actually there is more then these bellow, because there is the slider vertical, we don't saw other items.. Pilot_________________ xxxxx Co-Pilot______________ xxxxxCrew__________________ xxxxxFirst Class___________ xxxxxBusinness Class_______ xxxxxUpper Deck____________ xxxxxThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

yep, I'm looking at it right now. I'm wondering what could it be because the total pax weight is the same in the fuel and payload screen. unless the default or user left those other options blank. Hopefully it will be for cargo bays and or the option to fill the inside as a cargo plane and exempt pax weight. I noticed that some of my ideas of what would make this a better sim were used. Like airspaces on the map view, better blending of airfields with there surround, weight and balance, I noticed nav lights on the AI planes on the ground during daytime, taxiways and runways dont stand out so much. Wondering what the W and the x looking thing options are in the map view up top. Here is my complete list of suggestions...AI improvement suggestions:1) Ability to fly non-direct routes. Benefits would allow for simmers to create

Geez Chris, that pic from that link almost looks real..we are in for a treat in the wx department.

Eric 

So far, from what I've seen (including the cloud shots), I haven't seen anything so revolutionary that I'd expect a system which runs 2k2 well will have good performance with FS2004. One of the cloud shots in Chris's zip file also yields an interesting clue, since one of the clouds is flat on its side--almost like MS is layering or even "assembling" 2d clouds in some way to make them look 3-d. I doubt these are true particle based clouds...Last, a static shot won't give away any secrets about the type of system best suited for FS. We'd need a range of shots with fps stats, from your outdated P3/600, to your top of the line 3gig Pentiums, with varying levels of detail to know the true potential performance of FS2004.So I'm not going to worry too much about the type of machines these shots are done on. I'll start worrying when and if FS2006 comes at us :)

Guest kurtj

What will the lightning look like in fs2004? Will it light up the sky when it flashes, then the thunder either at a distance or very close by will rumble? I am just curious about thunderstorms in the new version.

Jonh, "almost like MS is layering or even "assembling" 2d clouds in some way to make them look 3-d. I doubt these are true particle based clouds..."The product is not finished yet, if you want to see the technique how they use, go to the official fs2004 web site and download the video, particular beta shots screenshot from unfinished phase, as well for wx option etc and improvement.Don't forget the peformance, thats will kill 50% your system fps,with particle.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

"The product is not finished yet, if you want to see the technique how they use, go to the official fs2004 web site and download the video"I'm sorry to say my office firewall blocks MS's official game site as a "game" site. I don't have the bandwidth at home to DL the video. If it surfaces on a non-game site, I may be able to see it...-John

Guest BrianC

In a nutshell, they layer globs of boxes. Cloud textures are applied, so you get a solid cloud. They still play the usual rotating texture tricks as well so that it doesn't appear that you are flying through boxes. At a distance where you can't tell the difference between 2D and 3D clouds, they use 2D impostors for performance.The cool thing is with the layers of boxes, they can remove layers of boxes over time to make clouds appear to dissipate, and of course reverse that process. It appears to be a very neat effect. The objects are made in gMax, so developers will be able to create their own clouds.

That's the method I suspect they use.... The good thing is that Autogen, for example, has many objects. Except at the highest settings, it's never taxed my system too much, and even at the highest settings, if I keep AI off, I still eke out 15 fps or so on the P3/800... If the clouds are a bunch of GMAX objects, it's likely that a super-system won't be needed--if they are done well.I know there will be a lot of talk about some of the shots being pre-beta, late alpha, whatever--but the shot I saw in the previews clearly shows a cloud rendered in the fashion you describe. There's nothing wrong with that, as I proposed it some time ago. We'll see how it pans out.Right now, I won't invest in FS2004 if the same issues exist where the clouds lose their 3-d look at altitude. In the flight levels, it would be nice to see a layer of puffy cumulus stretching over farmland 30,000 feet below. Right now, you can "trick" FS into doing that, but the cumulus doesn't extend out very far... I am growing more concerned that we haven't seen any shots like that, or shots from the flight levels showing an approaching front 60 miles distant.... With two months to launch, that type of feature must be in beta already if it's included. Hopefully, such shots will start appearing vs. the mostly low level shots I've seen....

Hi John, "I won't invest in FS2004 if the same issues exist where the clouds lose their 3-d look at altitude. In the flight levels, it would be nice to see a layer of puffy cumulus stretching over farmland 30,000 feet below"Sadly you can't access to ms 2004 website, clouds stick in 3d at higher altitude, (not disappears to flat cirrus like fs2002) you can see 30 000 cb clouds, full 3d altocumulus, many clouds type available stratus (finally in msfs), altostratus, 3d altocumulus, CB calvus,Cb Incus, cumulus humulus mediocris,towering cumulus, etc. fs2002 weather look outdated and this is only default..fs2004 Rain and the snow blow up fs2k2, fs2k2 rain and snow looks ridiculous..The x, y, z in fs2002 clouds visual are wrong in the rendering and height.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest tcable

AS I undestand, AI will pushback, and I've heard a rumor that you will be able to plug in airline info/gate types for aircraft.I still see the need for Overlays at certain airports- ones that routinely use multipe runwaysfor arrivlas and departures- ATL and ORD come to mind. THat is unless the ATC engine is mart enough to allow for multiple departure and arrival runways (now that would be cool!) Imagine KATL, nooverlays with norht departures on the North side, South, well,South! Just like the real world...Tim

An excellent and very comprehensive list of suggested improvements, Kilstorm. If MS implements half of them, I'd be very pleasantly surprised.I have one further improvement I would like to see which I know will be opposed by 99 percent of users.It is this:Force all pilots to undergo, and pass, the various lessons and checkrides before advancing to bigger aircraft. How can this be done? Apart from the lessons/instructor scenario make it impossible to switch on engines unless you have the required rating.Perhaps a developer could come up with a program to do this?OK, flame away.Airdog