Sign in to follow this  
Guest Surge

Download manager choices

Guest Surge

Are there any download managers for Windows XP that actually work with the AVSIM file library?I tried GetRight 5.2c and 5.2d and neither of them works.(GetRight 5.2c at least pops up a login screen but fails to login.)I tried Netants 1.25I tried StarDownloaderThe only thing that works is "Downloader for X" which I use under Linux.I find it amuzing that I have to use an open source Linux application to download Windows files. :(The problem that NetAnts has is that it tries to do a "list" command on the file to get the size but the FTP server gives it an empty reply.Most of the download managers HAVE to know the file size otherwise they just abort the download.Here is what Downloader for X does to get a file from AVSIM :Trying to connect...Socket was opened!220 ProFTPD 1.2.10rc1 Server (AVSIM Library) [library.avsim.net]USER MyUserName331 Password required for MyUserName.PASS ***230 User MyUserName logged in.CWD /civil_flight/msfs/fs2004/sounds250 CWD command successfulPASV227 Entering Passive Mode (205,252,249,60,186,237).try to connect to 205,252,249,60,186,237LIST -la airbus_a330_rollsroyce_trent772b_engine_sound_version_3.0.zip150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list226 Transfer complete.PASV227 Entering Passive Mode (205,252,249,60,186,240).try to connect to 205,252,249,60,186,240LIST airbus_a330_rollsroyce_trent772b_engine_sound_version_3.0.zip150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list226 Transfer complete.Empty answer. Trying to change directory to determine file type.CWD airbus_a330_rollsroyce_trent772b_engine_sound_version_3.0.zip550 airbus_a330_rollsroyce_trent772b_engine_sound_version_3.0.zip: Not a directoryTrying to create a fileFile was created!PASV227 Entering Passive Mode (205,252,249,60,186,246).try to connect to 205,252,249,60,186,246TYPE I200 Type set to IREST 22113510350 Restarting at 22113510. Send STORE or RETRIEVE to initiate transferRETR airbus_a330_rollsroyce_trent772b_engine_sound_version_3.0.zip150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for airbus_a330_rollsroyce_trent772b_engine_sound_version_3.0.zip (3996434 bytes)low level loading started from 22113510 load 0 bytesEOF recieved from server!loading end. loaded 3996434 bytes226 Transfer complete3996434 bytes loaded.(LOADED=26109944,len=0,FTP->get_status()=0)Downloading was successefully completed!Why does LIST not work on the FTP server?Anyway I hope this get's sorted out because it's a problem for dialup users. I can't get ADSL where I live because I live in a rural area and not a city/town where ADSL is available. ISDN dialup is the best I can get my hands on but it's not fast and I get frequent disconnects.So for people like me download managers are a MUST HAVE.I never use the accelerator options - I set it to only download 1 file at a time using 1 connection.Web browsers suck when it comes to resumablity and bandwidth throttling (so I can surf other sites or play on IVAO while I download).RegardsPaul

Guest Matt Johnson

LIST not functioning is a deliberate requirement in order to preserve bandwidth. Some directories have many thousands of files, and the behaviour of some downloaders which automatically LIST the directory before beginning would have an extremely detrimental effect on the service.We do not recommend the use of any download manager with the AVSIM Library. The Help Guide in the Library, along with other threads in the forum, will provide what information we have regarding which managers are reported to work.

Guest Surge

>We do not recommend the use of any download manager with the>AVSIM Library. The Help Guide in the Library, along with other>threads in the forum, will provide what information we have>regarding which managers are reported to work.Well I read the help guide and forum topics and I'm sorry to say that they are useless.They don't address the issues but instead beat around the bush and fail to offer working solutions.So let me not beat around the bush either.If download managers are not recommended and connections keep dropping what alternatives are there?I'm not looking for sympathy - just something that works.I really appreciate AVSIM hosting the files for free but the system in place breaks working Internet standards.Is this going to be addressed or must dialup users just dissapear?With regards to LIST not being supported :Maybe the files should be broken up into smaller catagories or sorted alphabetically into sub directories?Sorry for the scathing remarks but this issue has been outstanding for a long time and as far as I can see nothing is being done about rectifying the shortcomings of the AVSIM file server.There is always a solution but not with a head in the sand approach.Paul

With nearly 320,000 users successfully using the AVSIM file library there hasn't been an "issue has been outstanding for a long time" and dare I say, many are on dial up.

Guest dths30

When being on dial-up there's not much difference in speeds, Surge, anyway. 1-3 kb/sec max...

Guest Surge

I meant the issue of bad support for download managers seems to be an outstanding issue.But forget it. I can see this is going no where and I'm just wasting my time asking for download manager support.Reminds me very much of Micro$ofts tactics - break the standards and then pretend nothing is wrong.Case closed.Paul

Guest Marlin

TomThe problem isn't with the site, but more along the lines of having the old lady pick up the phone when there is on seconds left out of a three of four hours download. Punch her in the eye? Na can't do that.Hay I have an idea, how about a download manager? That way I won't have to kick the ---- out of the dog. I have been trying to get freedownloadmanager 1.8 to work, but to no avail. So what are we, out here in the middle of no where, supposed to do?Marlin

Guest Larry_KMSO

I disagree with you Tom. The failure of GetRight and other download programs to work at AVSIM IS an issue. Certainly with me. I can't keep a connection even with "high speed" wireless out here in Montana so the "auto resume" feature of GetRight saves the day. Also typically, I do my downloads as a group in the "wee" hours when I assume traffic on the library server is lowest. This used to result in faster downloads and my traffic didn't add to the server's load during the busy periods.I hope a workaround can be found. Thank you.Larry JonesPS GetRight6.0beta3 still has the "failure to login" problem even with pathes current as of today 6-24-05

Guest Larry_KMSO

FYI, on July 1, I posted a possible fix from Shawn at GetRight. Please refer to my post titled "Using GetRight with AVSIM library ftp server ... A Fix?"Larry

Guest Alan van der Vyver

Have you tried using the Opera web browser? It is a free download from http://www.opera.com.It is not a dedicated download manager, but it has a very good downloader that allows the resumption of partial downloads. It also works fine with AVSim and does not try to list directories or indulge in any other bad behaviour.I also like the fact that while I am specifying where to save the file, it is already downloading it in the background. Finally, you also have a fast, tabbed browser that has very few security problems.regards,Alan.

Guest Larry_KMSO

Hi Alan,No, I haven't tried Opera yet. My interest in GetRight stems from it's ability to schedule downloads from multiple sources in the middle of the night. My high speed internet supplier here in semi-rural Montana is "not very high speed". Late at night, their performance improves markedly. Thanks for the tip, though. I'll give Opera a try if I give up on GetRight again. I've heard nothing but good things about Opera.Larry

Guest Surge

The only problem with Opera is that you can't schedule or queue downloads.So if you want to go to bed while your PC downloads you have to start all the downloads at the same time.That means if you want to download several files you have to make multiple, simultaneous connections to AVSIM which can deny other people from downloading if the server is busy.I downloaded the Netherlands 2000 scenery from AVSIM which wouldn't have been possible without a download manager.Over 200MB with dialup means that you are almost guaranteed to have to resume a couple of times.Paul