Sign in to follow this  
Guest Captain Barfbag

Rudder Pedals and commercial aircraft

Hi there, I have two questions: 1.Aside from ground operations, take-offs, and landings, are the rudder pedals normally used in commercial aircraft (i.e. jets and large turboprops) to assist with normal turning operations as with GA aircraft? 2.When the landing gear is deployed for landing, is the nosewheel still controlled by the rudder pedals while airborne or is it dependent on weight being placed on the main gear upon landing or some other factor ?Thanks for any repliesJ.C. (MYNN)

Hi allFirst of all Ihave changed my username from 72737 to Super27 because of a new server I use now. To question 1:Your suspicion is correct. Rudder pedals are normally not used in flight on modern airliners. Exceptions are abnormal flight conditions where special rudder inputs are needed. (i.e. engine out operation etc.)Normal turns are coordinated automatically and require only aileron inputs.To question 2: Again you are on the right track. The nose wheel will be centered by a centering cam inside the nose strut when the weight of the aircraft is removed from the gear. (i.e. when airborne) This is also needed for the nose gear to fit correctly inside the wheel well at gear retraction.Hope this helps.

Guest Captain Barfbag

THIS is why I love this place. Thanks, dudes, for the questions I wouldn't have thought to ask, and the answers, too.