Sign in to follow this  
Tobei

Is Captain Sim's 727 all that great? Should I buy?

I've been reading about this Captain Sim 727 lately, and I remember that it took forever to come out and many simmers were angry about the promised time and delivery time. But all I've been reading about his plane has been EXTREMELY POSITIVE. Now it's been updated on its flight dynamics and other things. Should I buy it? Will it be compatible with MSFS 2004? I'm interested in your opinion cause it seems like a cool plane to have in the stable. What are its negatives versus its postitives? Thanks in advance, Stan

Guest Van

Hi,I would save your money and download Richard Probst's 727-200v4 panel and FFX's 727-200 aircraft model both available from the Avsim file library and they are both every bit as good as Capt Sims payware package and the gauges on Richard's panel are very easy to read compared to Capt Sims tiny gauges. There are also some nice FDE's created by Charles Fox specifically for Richard's panel and FFX's 727 models and they too are available from the Avsim file library.Regards,Van LatendresseYeoDesigns/AFG group

GO FOR IT!!! I have so many addons, and CS 727 is the best of the best!!!!! With 1.3 update you have everything!! Jacek

Guest SlimDady

totally agree with you.One of the best payware. The virtual cockpit in it is the best that i have seen in anypayware..

Guest Ian Ritchie

I would wait for DreamFleets 727. It will be released on the date that they announce, you will be able to get a refund if you don't like it, and it will be up to the usual high DreamFleet quality. And it also will have dynamic wing views..

Guest Clement Guivarc h

Buy it buy it buy it !The visual model is the BEST I ve ever seen, the panel is great, the virtual cockpit splendid, it's not a pay per livery product and there are a lot of free repaints released...Go for it ! :7../)_/). _ Cl

Hi Stan,I have the CS B727, and would recommend it. The V3 patch has brought this aircraft to near perfection. However- the B727 is a hard beast to control, it drops like lead on the flare if you let speed bleed off too quickly, and once it's air-bourne it accelerates like a rocket. A B757 captain friend of mine (who used to fly the B72) has used this on my system and is impressed. So- be prepared to be kept very busy while flying this bird (especially if you've been "flying" something with a glass cockpit that allows you to look outside and watch the world go past).:). And- no dynamic wing views, just in case you expected them.Also- sadly- simulating actual flights in the present day (2003) is getting very hard, most airlines have stored the 72's for good. Some freighters still around (especially FedEx). It's getting harder to find real pax flights for any "classic" these days.Bruce.

Hi!I'm a bit indifferent about it. On the one hand the visual model, the VC and the 2D cockpit are stunning. On the other hand I think the gauges are difficult to read and the performance on my P4 2,53 / 512MB DDR Ram is not very good.Conclusion, hard to give the final advice. It's definately worth it's money if you like this old bird.Toby

Guest fly4beer

wait for dreamfleet! or plan to buy both...CS is now at release 1.3, still flies like a fly.... "don't sink" warning during climb and so on.at least it is magic from a graphic point of view... must be something for kids, look at it, but do not touch it...my 2cents, straight and not political correct, who caresLucien

Such a fascinating world it is!!If you like:1. very detailed procedural, step by step, can follow a cold and dark checklist from dead to takeoff2. the very heavy feel and slow throttle response that 727 drivers seem to describe (having to be WAY ahead of the plane in your brain)3. nice looking from the outside ... not that i care really. Tons of free liveries4. a NON GLASS challenging cockpit with old-fashioned navigation requirements5. good customer support .. there have been three patches ... to some not a good thing, to me, a supportive vendor trying to please the customers6. I don't go for VC's but if you do, it has a very nice VCThen the CS - 727 is a good thing. Is it perfect? ... no, what is? gauges are small, but I wear glasses and have a nice 21" monitor and use the decimal features.To me it was a good purchase ... there is a great bunch of CS bashing as well as PIC A320 bashing ... which is actually quite humouous ... since most of the bashers are not real airline pilots nor are they programmers ... You can see this as a half empty or half full glass of water here ... I believe, personally that it is a great 727 model. The RP 727 is also very excellent, although not all the bells and whistles. I will buy the DF 727 when it comes.Give CS a try ... if you really like older aircraft and a good flight sim challenge, you will like this software

AFTER the 1.3 patch... I LOVE it! I was never able to successfully land the previous version. Although lots of real pilots say the real 727 is that tough. I don't imagine I would be able to go out to the airport, hop in a 727 and take it around the pattern. I am all about practicing until I get it right, but was getting mighty discouraged. Last night every landing was "survivable" but still plenty of work left. Kinda reminds me of the Frolov Dash-8. Was nearly impossible to fly until the one day I nailed all the numbers and now it is my favorite plane. I have a feeling as I begin to perfect MY skills, I'll enjoy the 727 even more. I think it is too easy to simulate a glass cockpit in a sim (a computer screen simulating a computer screen). Being in the cockpit of the CS 727 is SO immersive. I love watching the old-style DME gauge flip over. I love it. I'd buy it again... it's all I've flown since I bought it (OK, except for the Cessna 421C). EddieKSLC

Thanks for all the input on what seems like a prduct with value. I appreciate the pros and cons pointed out in this thread. One thing though, did anyone indicate whether they know if this 727 will be updated to work in MSFS 2004? Stan

My philosophy has always been 'each to their own'. But I have to say that anyone who suggests that the Captain Sim 727 is anything but an OUTSTANDING product is obviously VERY hard to please. If I could have all the aircraft I love produced to this standard for FS then I would buy them all ten times over. I am not normally one for sitting in front of my monitor for hours waiting for an Airbus or Boeing heavy to arrive at its destination. But the CS 727 is another story all together...ANYONE who hits the 'simulation speed' up anywhere above 'normal' when flying this bird is missing out on a lot!! I can sit for hours and just watch this gorgeous aircraft. And I don't mean from the outside either (even though you could easily do so with it being such a wonderful visual model!)...if its realism you want, then I could not recommend a better product. There may be quibbles about its flight dynamics (although I never had a problem with it, I believe most of those who were unhappy are now satisfied with the release of the V1.3 upgrade), but the faithful recreation of all the systems in the 727 cockpit are so fantastic that you can just sit there and keep an eye on her throughout the whole flight. I find I'm ALWAYS doing something when I'm in the cockpit. And with the release of the recent freeware Delco Carousel INS system by Marco Ravanello and Gianfranco Corrias, it can only get even more realistic and immersive. 'Immersive'...I reiterate what someone said earlier, this product is TOTALLY immersive. When Captain Sim release their 707, and the C-130, I will simply be in heaven. I don't own 767 PIC, or any of the other payware products that I see people complimenting for their realism, but from MY OWN position I still cannot recommend a better product than the Captain Sim 727. Go get it. You won't be sorry.Kind regards,Al Summers.P.S. I don't imagine as a Gmax model that there will be any conflict with FS2004. If there was (and I really don't think there would be), the guys at Captain Sim would probably bang out a patch fairly quickly.

Come to sunny South Africa and fly the NATIONWIDE AIR's Boewing 727 between JNB and CPT...and if you are lucky you could even be flying in ZS-NYY...a series 100 still in regular service.